Talk

Advanced search

Help please, dd1 wants an emergency/rescue centre

(24 Posts)
PandasRock Fri 24-Nov-17 13:42:29

I can't find quite the right thing.

Dd1 is 13, and has severe ASD and learning difficulties. She currently loves all things emergency services, and already has light and sound fire engine/ambulance/police car.

For Christmas, she would like a 'garage' to park them in.

Ideally it would:

Be multi-storey, as she likes curly ramps in parking garages
Have some sort of alarm/light/feature when the cars drive off
Crucially, fit her current vehicles (bigger than hot wheels, but not huge. Have just measured, they measure 2 inches wide, and about 5.5 inches long)

Does such a garage/emergency services centre exist?

The tracks on the ELC big city ones are just slightly too narrow. I could go happyland etc, but would prefer something slightly more grown up looking (but still robust). Price not a major issue, but would rather it wasn't a fortune, as she is unlikely to play with it hugely, she just wants to park her vehicles in it 😀

AlbusPercival Fri 24-Nov-17 13:49:42

This is £70 but looks pretty good

HouseworkIsAPain Fri 24-Nov-17 13:52:36

Le Toy Van has wooden garages.

Also have you seen the playmobile police station - not what you asked for but she may enjoy playing with it. It has space for cars under the jail bit. And a secret hatch for prisoners to escape jail.

AlbusPercival Fri 24-Nov-17 13:55:49

Might also be worth a look on gumtree etc. this one is in Brighton and looks grwat

PandasRock Fri 24-Nov-17 13:57:02

Albus, that is exactly the kind of thing, but I'm not convinced the road tracks are wide enough for her current vehicles. If I could be sure she'd be happy to swap, then I'd buy her new ones/a complete set, but I'm not sure enough to take a punt.

Same for the LeToyVan Ines, Housework. They are good designs, but I don't think her vehicles would fit, mostly the wooden Ines are a lot smaller.

I have been looking at the playmobil city sets - there is a fire station one (I think fire station would win over police station) which has an alarm, but I think her vehicles would be incongruously small (oh the irony!)

AlbusPercival Fri 24-Nov-17 13:58:46

Gltc have pretty good customer service, call and ask to measure ramps/ size of vehicles they sell to go with it?

hotdog74 Fri 24-Nov-17 14:28:45

If you go for the Playmobil fire station you could also get the playmobil fire engine. My daughter had that and is has blue flashing lights and lots of accessories that she might find interesting?

MrsPear Fri 24-Nov-17 16:06:59

How about Molto or Brio?

gigglingHyena Fri 24-Nov-17 16:37:11

Would this one work
www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/pre-school-and-electronic-learning/wooden-toys-and-puzzles/wooden-fire-station/p/159183

MiniMileyMoo Fri 24-Nov-17 16:37:13

How about the toot toot ones?

PandasRock Sat 25-Nov-17 07:59:48

Thanks everyone, some good ideas, but I'm still searching for the elusive set.

I don't really want to get something which needs/has its own vehicles - dd1 already has the cars/vans she wants, and I'm not sure replacing them would go down well (and getting her more isn't what she ants - I know this sounds spoilt, but she isn't, that's just ASD - different vehicles aren't what she wants, so why would I buy them for her? It would seem to her as though I wasn't listening to her when she told me what she wanted)

We have some toot toot stuff somewhere, but she wasn't ever as into it as I'd thought she'd be (still got it as younger siblings still play with it) - odd, as she loves cars, loves singing, loves toys with annoying tunes, but it just didn't grab her (again, the vagueries of ASD, I guess)

Brio roads is the same gauge as brio trains, isn't it? The tracks/ramps would be too narrow in that case, as her cars won't run on brio tracks.

Molto look good ramps-wise, but I haven't seen one which would work as a garage/parking. We have a very similar car ramp thing (fisher price, I think), and again, it didn't grab her as much as I thought it would.

my hunt yesterday, following links and further links, led me to:

this which is the kind of parking I think she'd like - if only it just had a ramp somewhere! It has fire/police/ambulance doors, and looks to be the right size for her cars.

EmilyChambers79 Sat 25-Nov-17 08:04:58

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.adverts.ie/other-toys-games/elc-car-park-ramp/4226570&ved=0ahUKEwiuyYbaodnXAhVqCcAKHdWwAuMQFggpMAA&usg=AOvVaw1RW9us0O3QOxmqSkwMrWdj

Is this any good?

Casablanca78 Sat 25-Nov-17 08:05:02

Kidcraft do an amazing one that is 3 levels and is not just fire station, it's emergency services so police as well etc. I've seen it in real life and it's fab!

PandasRock Sat 25-Nov-17 08:11:40

The elc ines, the Ramos aren't quite wide enough, but thank you.

The kids raft one is fab, I've seen that in RL too, but there's just too many extras - she won't play with it, and my house is already full of too many toys! Ds would also be drawn to playing with it, which would cause ructions - as far as I can tell, she wants a garage/parking because that's where cars/vehicles belong. It would goninnher room, for her to do the equivalent of tucking up her cars at night (which is why it would cause problems if ds wanted to play with it).

The ramps idea is mine, because she loves going up/down the ramps in multi-storey car parks, so I thought she might like to drive her cars up/down before parking them. I'll try to quiz her further and see if she wants/needs that feature!

EmilyChambers79 Sat 25-Nov-17 08:14:59

Sorry, I'd missed the part about the ELC ramps!

Could you order the kidcraft one and remove the extras that come with it that are not needed and sell them on?

BellaVida Sat 25-Nov-17 08:17:46

Mine used to have one of these- www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/fast-lane-sos-vehicle-garage-station/0113369/CF0001?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=desktop&camp=CA:google:MCF:desktop&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JX5u6TZ1wIVTbvtCh2mmgHPEAkYCCABEgJPU_D_BwE

No ramps though.

PandasRock Sat 25-Nov-17 08:23:05

yes, that's similar to the Melissa and Doug one i found, Bella (and if she didn't already have the cars she wants, that'd be exactly the right thing, apart from the ramps - I'll try to see if they would be a good feature or not)

The thing with buying the kidkraft one and then selling on all the bits, is she'd have a million rooms for no reason - could always use the top rooms as a bookshelf, I guess grin

skankingpiglet Sat 25-Nov-17 08:31:55

Even though she didn't like Toot Toot as a whole with it's vehicles it might be worth a second look just for the building/road? (Give any accompanying vehicle to sibling?) The parking tower and drivers garage are both multi level with ramps and lots of other bits that turn/spin/go up and down, and it would definitely fit her cars.

loopsdefruit Sat 25-Nov-17 08:47:29

What about this one? www.kidkraft.com/mega-ramp-racing-set-63267.html

It's all about the ramps, and they look wider than the other ones, plus a lift, helipad, car wash etc...

MrsKnightley Sat 25-Nov-17 08:58:50

Can someone make one? Local cabinetmaker, college tech department?

Also, try setting Amazon etc to .com (USA) as their stuff is always bigger.

gigglingHyena Sat 25-Nov-17 21:31:17

www.amazon.co.uk/Fireman-Sam-Station-Die-Cast-Playset/dp/B00TLRXAS2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=fireman+sam+fire+station&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1511645346&sr=8-3 this has a ramp and garage

daisydalrymple Sat 25-Nov-17 22:06:05

I just came on to link to the Melissa and Doug lock and roll garage. We have it. It's not got flashings or sounds etc but I will measure it for you tomorrow for the sizes of vehicles that fit. We also have their other garage and I'll measure the parking bays for that too. I'm in the bath or I'd measure it now grin

AlbusPercival Mon 27-Nov-17 10:06:22

this one looks awesome if you live near surrey

PandasRock Mon 04-Dec-17 21:29:50

Thank you everyone for the time taken, and links.

I spoke to dd1 a bit more about it, and apparently curly ramps are a must, because she likes whizzing cars down the hills (not that I've particularly noticed, but hey, whatever grin)

With that in mind, I have ordered the KidKraft racing ramp one - it seems to have wider ramps in the pictures, and has a super steep hill for hurling cars down (plus traffic lights - a long time obsession), so hopefully that will tick all the boxes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now