My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Beauty advent calendars....

348 replies

Piccolino2 · 17/08/2018 09:30

For those interested there's already some info coming out on this years beauty advent calendars... plenty of time for us all to debate and neurose about it all:

www.reallyree.com/?s=Advent%202018

I've been putting £5 away a week since last Christmas for this so I can purchase guilt free and as I organise the whole of Christmas for everyone then I think I should get a treat to look forward to. Personally I think I like the look of Harrods this time.

What do you all think?

OP posts:
cholka · 17/08/2018 09:32

I think consumerism will do for us all. You do not need all these little plastic tubs of gunk.

Piccolino2 · 17/08/2018 09:46

@cholka thanks for your concern. I do agree about consumerism and plastic and it is something that we all need to think about and talk about.

There are lots of other things I will do to cut down on packaging and waste before I forgo a pleasure that I enjoy once a year. Perhaps if we want to talk about reducing consumerism and increasing our environmental effort we could start another thread? I would follow it. One of the biggest problems is actually discarded clothing, I'm sure we can all do more.

OP posts:
Fishandthechips · 17/08/2018 10:42

I can never understand why people click on threads just to disagree. Theres probably something to be said about reducing landfill and waste but this thread is clearly not the right place...
Anyway ive been following Reallyree on instagram purely for her beauty calendar announcements! The Harrods one looks beautiful but has too much skincare in for me, i own 3 faces worth as it is! I love the look of the Selfridges Beauty Workshop one. Some really good and harder to get hold of brands in there but i wish they would say what the lipstick colours are.
Im excited! I look at them every year and never treat myself so this time im going to say sod it and buy one!

Annabelle4 · 17/08/2018 12:26

Ooooh following Grin

I'll have a read now OP.

Last year I got the No7 and Look Fantastic ones and my sister got 'A tale of 2 cities', I think it was mostly Lancôme?

I thought they were absolutely brilliant, a lovely surprise each morning and I'm still using the products. I discovered lots of new things that I wouldn't have ever tried.

Djangor · 17/08/2018 13:24

Thanks Piccolino - I loved my advent calendar - spread the contents out over months. I will now get a lot of pleasure from checking out the contents of different calendars & deciding which or whether to get one. By the time I can open it I have forgotten most of the contents so still get the daily excitement.
I wish the negative posters would spend their obviously plentiful time in doing something more constructive. I will be taking a lot of time checking that brands have stopped using microplastics - why couldn't the poster have a thread on beauty brands that are or are not still using these so we can know which to avoid.

DozyDoates · 17/08/2018 14:14

I had my first one last year, the M&S one, and I am so excited to get another this year! Not sure if I'll get the same one or splurge for something more luxury, thanks for starting the thread!

restingbemusedface · 17/08/2018 14:17

Oooh nice! I’ve heard that Orelia are doing a jewellery one though so I’m saving myself for that!

Seththesheep · 17/08/2018 14:17

I really love the liberty print in the Liberty one but I don't know if that's a good enough reason to get it.

I liked the Fenwick one too. In my fantasy land I'd love the diptyque one.

There's always a misery on the S&B board telling the rest of us we're wasting money/resources. It's very dull.

Baumederose · 17/08/2018 14:20

There was an article on get the gloss magazine that showed alot of the advent calendars and their release dates

Has anyone ever bought the charlotte tilbury one??

Annabelle4 · 17/08/2018 14:23

As far as I remember, the previous year's Charlotte Tilbury one was half price in Black Friday. I think I'd buy that, rather than buying the current one (if that makes sense).
The products are going to be very similar each year anyway (IMO)

Annabelle4 · 17/08/2018 14:23

*on Black Friday

YouWereRight · 17/08/2018 15:12

The libertys one is my dream. Every year the look makes me fall in love, and the I follow the opening thread.

I've had the m&s one for the last 2 years, I said they've been too samey for me to bother this year, but the content looks good this year.

Baumederose · 18/08/2018 08:31

Thanks @Annabelle4

I might get the Fenwick one this year. Looks quite good...

CherryBlossom23 · 18/08/2018 08:34

Ooh, exciting! I just discovered these last year and got the rituals one which I loved. Still using bits of it.

JuneWhitfieldshandbag · 18/08/2018 08:35

Sadly I reckon the House Of Fraser one will never live up to last years - with one MNetter giving a dat by day reveal.....''twas the thread that kept on giving

kirkandpetal · 18/08/2018 08:41

Ooooh, the Liberty one! Lush but pricey. Prob be the M&S one for me again!!

SymphonyofShadows · 18/08/2018 08:42

I've had M&S and No7 for the past couple of years, and the M&S one previously when it was £25. I'm definitely going to go for it again, the perfume and Glow Tonic almost make it worth the money on their own. I might change No7 for something else though.

JeSuisPrest · 18/08/2018 08:57

I usually get the M & S one which I will probably get again this year, but I missed out on the L'Occitane calendar last year which I still kick myself about. Am determined to be more on the ball this year (just signed up for a reminder on their website.)

Piccolino2 · 18/08/2018 09:23
OP posts:
itstheyearzero · 18/08/2018 09:26

I got the M&S and Amazon calendars last year. Both extremely good and I don't think I could say which one was better to be honest!

Piccolino2 · 18/08/2018 09:43

I had the Liberty one last year and I LOVED it. It was my first beauty advent calendar and I got so much joy from it. I loved most of the products, there were a few that were duds for me (the aromatherapy rollerball, the nude lipstick, the brow oil and the sheet face mask) but I have thoroughly enjoyed using everything else and I am still using some of the products now. It introduced me to new brands and got me excited about skincare again, has made me step up my game!
I gave the box to charity so someone else could enjoy it - it was gorgeous!!

This year I want something similar but not the same. Tempted by Liberty again, loving the look of the hourglass mascara, hair perfume, the Diptyque candle and the votary cream, I think it's different enough to go for again, but then again Harrods....

OP posts:
Piccolino2 · 18/08/2018 09:44

The M&S calendar looks brilliant this year - I got it as an early Christmas present for a friend and she raves about it. Will be doing the same again this year. The gift that keeps on giving!

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LoniceraJaponica · 18/08/2018 09:50

I got the M and S one last year and loved it. DD and I shared the contents between us. I loved the Korres sleep mask so much that I have bought it twice. I would never have tried it without the calendar.

FrancisCrawford · 18/08/2018 09:58

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Soyalatteforme · 18/08/2018 10:20

The M&S one was great last year. First time I'd had one and I really enjoyed opening the door each day for my little treat. I too loved the korres sleep cream, reminded me of the smell of old fashioned roses.

The Liberty and L'Occitane ones are on my hotlist this year!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.