Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

To think that unvaccinated people whining about rights and freedoms when they can’t go to a concert

Itsnotover · 19/09/2021 20:30

Are entitled? I am so sick of hearing the vaccine hesitant / covid deniers say that it makes no difference if you’re vaccinated, so they should be allowed to go around doing exactly what they want even though they don’t care about the effects on other people or don’t believe the virus exists.

The government has not said that they will restrict medical treatments or impose financial penalties on people who don’t get vaccinated. I wouldn’t agree with that. That would be taking away rights.

But I personally don’t think that it’s a god given right to attend clubs, theatres and to go on holiday if you refuse to comply with health measures at the height of a pandemic.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 19/09/2021 21:34

The thing that people vociferously talking about their rights often seem to be oblivious to is that rights are usually balanced by responsibilities.

Please
or

hamstersarse · 19/09/2021 21:36

Those calling for unvaccinated people to lose standard citizen rights are as crazy as those who think the vaccines contain microchips

2 sides of the same coin

Please
or

Lauraa7 · 19/09/2021 21:38

@XenoBitch

YABU
I don't understand how anyone can think this division of people into vaccinated and unvaccinated is acceptable. Just look at the arguments it causes online. The world has lost its mind.

What would be your suggestion then to manage the pandemic safely?
Please
or

User45829057 · 19/09/2021 21:40

Do all concerts and shows ask for vaccine passports, I am going to a couple and will cancel if that is the case, I have been vaccinated.

Please
or

PassTheDutchyUpYrLeftBackside · 19/09/2021 21:42

Can we also remind ourselves, being vaccinated DOES NOT stop you catching or passing on the virus.

I'm 100% up for not dying, and am grateful that thanks to AZ, my own bout of Covid lasted 4 weeks and change, rather than a ventilator in ICU, but the unvaccinated are mainly a health danger to themselves (unless I've missed something?).

Please
or

TertiusLydgate · 19/09/2021 21:42

I agree entirely.

I (unfortunately) have a friend who is an anti-vaxxer. She has said she’ll only have it if it curtails her chances of a holiday. Unbelievably self-serving and ignorant.

Please
or

ZednotZee · 19/09/2021 21:45

I (unfortunately) have a friend who is an anti-vaxxer. She has said she’ll only have it if it curtails her chances of a holiday. Unbelievably self-serving and ignorant.

What an arsehole.

I say that as somebody who is extremely vaccine hesitant.

Please
or

Propagandalf · 19/09/2021 21:48

I believe people have a right to refuse the vaccine, but if it comes back to bite you in the bum, then that was your own prerogative.

An example of this is one of my 'friends' (more like an acquaintance) refused the vaccine because he was covid denier from the get go. Guess what? He now has covid. Quite badly too, in that he has been off work for 2 weeks so far.

Please
or

Itsnotover · 19/09/2021 21:52

@Propagandalf does he believe it exists now or is he still in denial?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mynameismargot · 19/09/2021 21:53

Where I live over 90% of people over 16 are vaccinated, I can't get worked up about the less than 10% that haven't. They chose not to get vaccinated, they knew that would mean they don't get to do some of the things vaccinated people do like eating inside a restaurant. They made their choice, I made mine, I'm not going to lose sleep over theirs.

Please
or

XenoBitch · 19/09/2021 21:55

What would be your suggestion then to manage the pandemic safely?

What makes you think I have the answer to that?
I hate the vitriol that gets aimed at people who are unvaccinated.

Please
or

Mynameismargot · 19/09/2021 21:55

@hamstersarse

Those calling for unvaccinated people to lose standard citizen rights are as crazy as those who think the vaccines contain microchips

2 sides of the same coin

They are choosing to lose those rights(if going to a concert counts as a right). It is a conscious decision that they made.
Please
or

Itsnotover · 19/09/2021 21:56

Can we also remind ourselves, being vaccinated DOES NOT stop you catching or passing on the virus.

It does reduce the risk of catching and passing it on.

The more people who are vaccinated, the less chance the virus has to mutate. This has been stated by the WHO.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Saoirse82 · 19/09/2021 21:56

@lljkk

I am so sick of hearing the vaccine hesitant / covid deniers

it's weird, because I don't have a single person like that in my real world social contacts nor do I get exposed to them online (not on MN, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn...) Not one denier & I can only think of one vaccine hesitant person (she actually was vaccinated but regrets it)

I do however hear/see LOTS of angry condemnation of the unvaccinated:

"They should be denied medical treatment"
"Vaccines should be mandatory"
"They are beneath contempt!"
"Oh well, if they won't be vaccinated then it's just a natural consequence if they lose their job"
"I'm sick of the covidiots!"

etc.

No matter how much I snooze or mute or unfollow, still this crap pops into my time lines. It's frustrating when you can't filter out the intolerant ignorance. Sadly my D-dad is one of the people spouting half of that stuff, I try hard to talk about something else with him.

Lucky you! I hear it endlessly and it does my fucking head in. I've had to seriously distance myself from some people.
Please
or

ZednotZee · 19/09/2021 22:00

They made their choice, I made mine, I'm not going to lose sleep over theirs.

As somebody who doesn't want this vaccine yet I wholly agree with your stance on the matter.
You see, presumably if you are forgoing the vaccine it is because you feel that it will be, in some way detrimental to your health.
Your health, to any right minded person is far more important than going out for a prawn linguini and a glass of bloody shiraz or spending two weeks on the continent.

So I agree that us vaccine hesitant people need to ride out the wave until covid is no longer such a threat and/or we are satisfied enough regarding the safety profile of the vaccine to us as individuals that we are happy to consent to it.

Please
or

DayKay · 19/09/2021 22:09

I haven’t had the vaccine yet not because I’m an anti vaxxer but because I’ve had covid and I assume that my natural antibodies are good enough at the moment.
I’ll get the vaccine if I have to but I don’t understand why this is always ignored. It’s basic science.

Please
or

NeverTalksToStrangers · 19/09/2021 22:15

@Itsnotover

It does reduce the risk of catching and passing it on.

The more people who are vaccinated, the less chance the virus has to mutate. This has been stated by the WHO.

Plus less chance of being hospitalised if you do catch it... which in turn means less chance of putting unnecessary pressure on an already struggling NHS.
Please
or

Itsnotover · 19/09/2021 22:27

Quite.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NeverTalksToStrangers · 19/09/2021 23:06

My dad died from covid in April.
He was due his 2nd vaccination a week after he was admitted to hospital for other reasons. After 2 weeks in hospital, someone else on the ward tested positive. He died 8 days later. So I hadn't seen him for 3 weeks before he passed. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. He wasn't a well man and preparations were being made to send him home with a hospital bed before he tested positive. But that never happened.

Genuinely, I cannot put into words how much antivaxxers make me cross. I have cut ties with some of my in-laws over this. I actually find it personally insulting. But everyone should. This pandemic has affected every single person on this planet in some way. Anyone who isn't doing what they can to try and bring this to an end (or close to it) is just so selfish. This "I'm alright jack" attitude is sickening.

Please
or

JingsMahBucket · 20/09/2021 00:04

@DGFB

Totally agree with you.
I’m happy for a Covid deniers to have no fun whatsoever while I (vaccinated) get back to normal and show I give a sh&t about others

Same. Let the selfish jerks finally feel the consequences of their actions. They’ve been running around ignoring rules and paradoxically loudly proclaiming they were being silenced for the past 18 months. 🙄

It’s their turn to stay at home and let the rest of us enjoy ourselves — paraphrasing Emmanuel Macron
Please
or

Coyoacan · 20/09/2021 00:37

What is the danger from unvaccinated people? All I can see is that they are the ones at risk.

Please
or

NeverTalksToStrangers · 20/09/2021 01:34

@Coyoacan

What is the danger from unvaccinated people? All I can see is that they are the ones at risk.

Every infection leads to an increased chance of a virus mutation that will render vaccines useless. More chance of passing to others, including the vulnerable. Taking up hospital beds when it could be easily avoided. And overall just being selfish af.
Please
or

Balonzette · 20/09/2021 01:43

I wrote a huge paragraph about why YABU but realised some people won't listen or pay attention to anything that tjey don't like the sound of and I feel you are one of those people. So I'll leave it with: YABVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVU.

Please
or

NantesElephant · 20/09/2021 01:54

@NeverTalksToStrangers sorry to hear about your Dad. Flowers Having lost a friend to COVID and it leaving a relative permanently bed bound after 6 weeks in hospital, I can relate.

Please
or

Vodkacarbsandtobacco · 20/09/2021 02:10

Anyone who isn't vaccinated is selfish and a spreader of the virus. Everyone should be vaccinated to protect themselves from the virus. So all the selfish, unvaccinated, covid carrying scumbags should be ashamed of themselves for putting the protected, vaccinated people at risk! Oh I forgot, the vaccinated are 'protected' so who are they putting at risk? Themselves? When is the booster due for the vaccinated? Who will be first in line? How much more of your life are you going to waste worrying about this utter tripe? Surely if you're vaccinated it doesn't matter who chooses not to have it because you're 'protected'

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.