Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

To think that unvaccinated people whining about rights and freedoms when they can’t go to a concert

Itsnotover · 19/09/2021 20:30

Are entitled? I am so sick of hearing the vaccine hesitant / covid deniers say that it makes no difference if you’re vaccinated, so they should be allowed to go around doing exactly what they want even though they don’t care about the effects on other people or don’t believe the virus exists.

The government has not said that they will restrict medical treatments or impose financial penalties on people who don’t get vaccinated. I wouldn’t agree with that. That would be taking away rights.

But I personally don’t think that it’s a god given right to attend clubs, theatres and to go on holiday if you refuse to comply with health measures at the height of a pandemic.

OP's posts:
Please
or

userperuser · 23/09/2021 10:40

Your

Please
or

UsedUpUsername · 23/09/2021 10:52

BLM is now having a protest in NYC about vaccine passports, good for them as you could argue that is an example of structural racism.

Black New Yorkers iirc are about 70% unvaxxed so it does restrict them disproportionately.

Please
or

Workinghardeveryday · 23/09/2021 11:04

I am CEV, dp won’t have vaccine. I am fully vaccinated but good chance won’t have given any cover for me.

Can’t begin to tell you how this gets to me. He thinks in the end the vaccine will be worse than the virus and doesn’t want it in his body.

Been together 13 years and 3 kids.

We don’t talk about it anymore, what’s the point, we go around in circles. He has watched too many YouTube videos and is adamant we are all wrong and he is right.

He does not want it end of - although he did mention 6 months ago if it meant we couldn’t go on holiday he would consider it because he would have no choice!

Please
or

JaniieJones · 23/09/2021 12:18

@UsedUpUsername

BLM is now having a protest in NYC about vaccine passports, good for them as you could argue that is an example of structural racism.

Black New Yorkers iirc are about 70% unvaxxed so it does restrict them disproportionately.

'Structural racism'?! Wtaf.

If they won't have it whose fault is that?

And please don't cite historic medical negligence. Things that happened decades ago aren't always relevant. This virus has killed hundreds of thousands, it disproportionately affects black people so you'd think they'd be demanding it, not arguing against it.
Please
or

JaniieJones · 23/09/2021 12:26

'Can’t begin to tell you how this gets to me. He thinks in the end the vaccine will be worse than the virus and doesn’t want it in his body.'

That is awful. I can't imagine how hard it must be to CEV and to live with someone so stupid, surely he should do it for you and the dc if not for himself Flowers.

Please
or

CoopsMalloops · 23/09/2021 15:49

“JaniieJones

UsedUpUsername

'Structural racism'?! Wtaf.

If they won't have it whose fault is that?

And please don't cite historic medical negligence. Things that happened decades ago aren't always relevant. This virus has killed hundreds of thousands, it disproportionately affects black people so you'd think they'd be demanding it, not arguing against it”

Some reasons are that they are concerned about not being paid sick pay if they are unwell after getting the vaccine. Some places offering the vaccine ask for medical insurance information. Also for formal identification.

I don’t know how this would affect me as a white woman living in the UK, so can’t comment my views but those are some facts gleaned from a US survey on why some people are not taking up the offer of the vaccine.

Please
or

Droite · 23/09/2021 18:48

@UsedUpUsername

I take it that someone has pointed out that there's an easy remedy? What is their justification?
Please
or

UsedUpUsername · 23/09/2021 19:32

@Droite

www.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/black-lives-matter-greater-york-200600400.html

Not a whole interview but snippets of what he says are in this article. Reasons are about the same as any other vaccine hesitant person imo

Please
or

milkyaqua · 24/09/2021 06:06

"Most who refused to mask (and reject the vaccine now) are not full-blown virus deniers. Instead, they simply didn’t believe — and still don’t — that it can harm people like them.

But if you know it can harm others who aren’t like you, and you still refuse to take the measures that reduce the risk of spreading the virus to them, you are a sociopath.

If you refuse a vaccine when you have no valid health reason to do so (as almost no one does), thereby keeping the virus alive longer by increasing the risk of mutations, you are saying that other people’s lives don’t matter to you.

And if you expected to be infected, hospitalized, and die, you would never take these risks.

That’s what these ICU confessions signify — that they care about their own lives quite a bit, whatever they might think of others.

Now that it’s caught up with them, the tears flow, and the panic sets in their faces as they wonder what they’ve done to themselves.

Because they never wanted to die, they just didn’t care if other people did."

timjwise.medium.com/covid-anti-vaxxers-arent-a-maga-death-cult-it-s-worse-than-that-16d74186e46b

Please
or

Whyevencare · 24/09/2021 07:12

[quote milkyaqua]"Most who refused to mask (and reject the vaccine now) are not full-blown virus deniers. Instead, they simply didn’t believe — and still don’t — that it can harm people like them.

But if you know it can harm others who aren’t like you, and you still refuse to take the measures that reduce the risk of spreading the virus to them, you are a sociopath.

If you refuse a vaccine when you have no valid health reason to do so (as almost no one does), thereby keeping the virus alive longer by increasing the risk of mutations, you are saying that other people’s lives don’t matter to you.

And if you expected to be infected, hospitalized, and die, you would never take these risks.

That’s what these ICU confessions signify — that they care about their own lives quite a bit, whatever they might think of others.

Now that it’s caught up with them, the tears flow, and the panic sets in their faces as they wonder what they’ve done to themselves.

Because they never wanted to die, they just didn’t care if other people did."

timjwise.medium.com/covid-anti-vaxxers-arent-a-maga-death-cult-it-s-worse-than-that-16d74186e46b[/quote]
Quoting some bloke off the internet doesn't make it real Confused

If you're going to comment at least make it an opinion you've come up with yourself Grin

Please
or

UsedUpUsername · 24/09/2021 07:21

But if you know it can harm others who aren’t like you, and you still refuse to take the measures that reduce the risk of spreading the virus to them, you are a sociopath

Do you think this about flu? What about people who unknowingly spread STDs?

If you refuse a vaccine when you have no valid health reason to do so (as almost no one does), thereby keeping the virus alive longer by increasing the risk of mutations, you are saying that other people’s lives don’t matter to you

You take a vaccine to protect yourself. That’s how it’s always been. If you haven’t got the flu shot every year since becoming an adult, then frankly you need to back off.

And if you expected to be infected, hospitalized, and die, you would never take these risks

Not true. I have vulnerable family that is trying to prevent COVID by NPIs (I don’t think these are effective at all but it’s their choice to use them instead of vaccines)

That’s what these ICU confessions signify — that they care about their own lives quite a bit, whatever they might think of others

What we haven’t communicated is that COVID is dangerous to certain groups—we haven’t done enough to let overweight/obese people know they are particularly vulnerable. Maybe this would be more effective than shaming?

Now that it’s caught up with them, the tears flow, and the panic sets in their faces as they wonder what they’ve done to themselves

Sounds like you’re enjoying this. Do you feel the same way about a teen girl who took a risk on unprotected sex and ended up pregnant or with an STD?

Because they never wanted to die, they just didn’t care if other people did

Frankly, I don’t do health interventions with other people in mind. The vaccine is supposed to protect YOU. Why should we care if it protects anyone else? They are responsible adults. They can make the choices best suited for them.

Please
or

milkyaqua · 24/09/2021 07:43

Quoting some bloke off the internet doesn't make it real

Make what real?

If you're going to comment at least make it an opinion you've come up with yourself

I have said multiple times on here since this pandemic began how stunned I am at the level of sociopathy prevalent in what seems a fairly large chunk of society, reflected on the coronavirus board and in the world at large. I quoted this man because it seemed very well put, and because he has other well-written essays on this topic others might find interesting to read.

I've known since I was about ten that the vast bulk of people are pretty stupid, but I always thought they were basically good people with good hearts. Seems it isn't so.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.