Talk

Advanced search

cis is an abusive term

(426 Posts)
Horridemma Wed 14-Feb-18 13:21:41

I don't want to be called a 'cis' nor referred to as 'cis' in any sort of patronising way. Not sure if I really understand but from the way it is bandied about it does not sound good.

I am a woman not a 'cis'

mimibunz Wed 14-Feb-18 13:22:43

Yep.

ShackUp Wed 14-Feb-18 13:23:49

Yes, it's creating a category where none exists.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Wed 14-Feb-18 13:24:19

Agreed and I wish MNHQ would take a stand on it and delete it as hate speech.

dantdmistedious Wed 14-Feb-18 13:27:16

It's nonsense as far as I'm concerned. I am not cis.

I've also never come across it apart from here.

NotTerfNorCis Wed 14-Feb-18 13:31:32

'Cis' is based on the assumption that biological women are just one type of women, and full of oppressor-privilege at that.

Bejazzled Wed 14-Feb-18 13:33:27

I find it offensive. So many other terms are discouraged and/or deleted because someone finds them offensive so this should be the same.

BahHumbygge Wed 14-Feb-18 13:38:31

Yes, it implies I accept my place as inferior in the gender hierarchy - I certainly do not. Applied to women, it's akin to being called underling or skivvy.

PipGirl404 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:46:17

I thought cis just meant you are biologically a woman, as opposed to a transwoman?

Amyxmarie Wed 14-Feb-18 13:46:41

Believe it or not, I actually first heard the term on South Park and thought it was a pisstake like all the made up words that the "gender fluid" and militants trans community shout about grin

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Wed 14-Feb-18 13:48:05

I thought cis just meant you are biologically a woman, as opposed to a transwoman?

See?? Look what this shit is doing? angry

No pipgirl the term for a biological adult female is woman.

JoyTheUnicorn Wed 14-Feb-18 13:48:46

There is no need for a separate category for a group which makes up the majority.
It's yet another case of bending over backwards to accommodate a small group of people who would then, presumably, take over "woman" as their category.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Wed 14-Feb-18 13:49:08

I didn’t even need to add biological there. There is only one kind of female.

StoatofDisarray Wed 14-Feb-18 13:50:18

I find it offensive, too.

bakingdemon Wed 14-Feb-18 13:50:27

Yes yes yes. I find it very offensive

PipGirl404 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:50:42

If it's only the trans community that use the term cis, where is the offence coming from?
More than happy for someone to explain, as I'm honestly not seeing it?

Belindabauer Wed 14-Feb-18 13:52:11

I agree yet it is creeping in. My teenage dd used the word, I put her straight.

PipGirl404 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:52:20

I though male/female was always the used term for your sex, but man/woman is what you identify as... I can see why "cis" would not be needed in that instance?

I've never read much of the threads so I have no idea what the general consensus is on the trans community here, I'm not trying to sound thick/ignorant.

Elendon Wed 14-Feb-18 13:52:43

If someone addressed me as a 'cis female' I would say to them that I find that term abusive and can they not use it again.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Wed 14-Feb-18 13:53:40

If it's only the trans community that use the term cis, where is the offence coming from?

Trans people using it about non trans people. How can you not see the offence?

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Wed 14-Feb-18 13:55:17

Man/woman is what some people identify as. They don’t get to identify the rest of us according to their own preferences.

PipGirl404 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:55:26

I'm starting to feel thick... I don't see the offence because we aren't trans people? Is this not just a fact?

DonkeySkin Wed 14-Feb-18 13:55:40

Agree with what posters above say and I'd also add that 'cis' is intended to point to our vaginas. TIMs claim that it's rude to make assumptions about what's in their pants, but then they demand that we call ourselves 'cis', which points to what is in our pants by default. At all times we are supposed to refer to ourselves using a word that reminds people of our genital status, and the privilege we supposedly derive from it.

A wise poster here once translated 'cis woman' to mean 'the old-fashioned, cunty kind of woman', and that's exactly right. With the emphasis on cunt. Whenever a TRA or a handmaiden refers to 'cis women', that's what they mean. Those lowly and yet grossly overprivileged creatures with cunts.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Wed 14-Feb-18 13:56:13

To be clear, I (female) don’t identify as a woman. I AM a woman.

BigDeskBob Wed 14-Feb-18 13:56:50

"man/woman is what you identify as..."

So what do you call an adult human female?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: