Talk

Advanced search

Seriously MN this is fucking bullshit.

(1002 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

DeathAnTaxes Wed 24-Aug-16 23:14:28

Message from MNHQ: We're afraid we felt we had to delete this thread as we feel like it has strayed way outside of our Talk Guidelines. We do regard deliberate, malicious misgendering (as opposed to accidental slip ups) as transphobic. Thank you to everyone who took the time to post thoughtfully here. We understand folks will want to talk more about pronouns and trans issues in general on another thread perhaps - but we would ask that you do so in way that doesn't rehash or repeat this thread. Thanks.&Message from MNHQ: We're afraid we felt we had to delete this thread as we feel like it has strayed way outside of our Talk Guidelines. We do regard deliberate, malicious misgendering (as opposed to accidental slip ups) as transphobic. Thank you to everyone who took the time to post thoughtfully here. We understand folks will want to talk more about pronouns and trans issues in general on another thread perhaps - but we would ask that you do so in way that doesn't rehash or repeat this thread. Thanks.

ONE poster wanted to discuss pronouns and they won. A thread about women being shut down by transactivists was shut down by a ta.

Fucking brilliant.

AND FOR THE RECORD THE PERSON'S PRONOUNS ARE 'THEY'

A vile misogynist was "misgendered" be being called he, because we can not even discuss who is doing this.. It is he's. It is men.

they was not even a thing 5 years ago. If I today demanded my pronouns be "Vagina owner" would everyone have to respect that?

sonlypuppyfat Wed 24-Aug-16 23:18:21

Why is everything so confusing how can one person be a they?

PinkyOfPie Wed 24-Aug-16 23:22:57

Well said OP. Fucking pandering bullshit

QuackDuckQuack Wed 24-Aug-16 23:23:29

Surely they is just an extension of the use of they to replace 'he or she' when you don't know the gender of someone. It has become so widely used X that you rarely hear 'he or she' any more.

Is it really an issue for women if someone wants to be referred to as 'they'?

DeathAnTaxes Wed 24-Aug-16 23:24:36

He can't. And Mn is gaslighting us by telling us this man, who is very clearly a man, is not a man.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Wed 24-Aug-16 23:24:45

Fucks sake, MN! Happening far too often now.

situatedknowledge Wed 24-Aug-16 23:26:13

^ This.

DeathAnTaxes Wed 24-Aug-16 23:26:50

Quack, this bloke called a lesbian cuntscum (and various other niceties)--also an anti semite and a homophobe-- and a poster said that as they use pronouns to be respectful she sees no reason to respect this guy's.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 24-Aug-16 23:28:01

You rarely hear he or she anymore? I must move in very different circles

BitchPeas Wed 24-Aug-16 23:28:03

I have no idea where this pandering softly softly bullshit has come from. I see it no where else in RL. Only on here. It's so weird.

HopeClearwater Wed 24-Aug-16 23:30:24

Posting in support of OP

PinkyOfPie Wed 24-Aug-16 23:31:42

Is it really an issue for women if someone wants to be referred to as 'they'?

I can't speak for everyone but the issue for me is that this "non binary" crap (which is surely ^everyone in the world^) is basic narcissism - demanding that everyone else changes their own language just for you to suit your special snowflake needs. If I started telling people to address me as "Your Highness" they'd think I was batshit crazy, yet it's fine for people to demand this kind of thing (albeit a less extravagant title).

I especially will not pander to the sensibilities of an anti-Semitic, misogynistic, homophobic, violence promoting and rape apologist such as Ada Wells. I will not respect someone who slurs women like Ada does and I will not be the type of person who feels they have to remember their Ps and Qs around someone who thinks I'm "cuntscum" because I have a vagina.

Queenbean Wed 24-Aug-16 23:32:44

So true OP. What's going on MNHQ?

QuackDuckQuack Wed 24-Aug-16 23:34:39

Hmm, I think that the MN position is asking you not to stoop to this person's level. Imagine that the anti semite/transphobic person was instead a Muslim. Would it be ok to make an islamophobic comment to show that you don't respect them if they don't respect others?

Perhaps there is a scale of offensiveness, so on your scale the offence that person has caused massively outweighs the use of pronouns in that way. But I guess MNHQ has a list of rules and all things on that list will get deleted because they don't want to be getting involved in lengthy debates about where things are in the pecking order.

FoxtonFoxFace Wed 24-Aug-16 23:36:04

Absolutely agree, adding my support OP.

DeathAnTaxes Wed 24-Aug-16 23:36:26

I am not stooping to his level. Merely pointing out that it tends to be men who commit misogyny and that pretending that the above is not a man is ridiculous.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Wed 24-Aug-16 23:37:24

quack I think in that example it would be okay for a Muslim poster to say 'I don't think this person is a true follower of Islam, because that's not what Islam is about' though.

And we are women saying, this person is not a woman.

JigglypuffsCaptor Wed 24-Aug-16 23:37:31

Perhaps we could just call "they" a thundercunt? no gender involved then.

GloGirl Wed 24-Aug-16 23:37:35

I love MN and find so much in common with most of the posters here but on this I find myself totally divided.

You should respect a person's desired pronouns because trampling all over them to make a nasty point is just pissing all over the pronouns of every other trans person.

You shouldn't on Mumsnet be able to call someone something offensive to a group of people and then sat that it's ok because they are not a nice person so therefore it's ok to say a wide ranging offensive remark to them.

Didn't see the original thread by the way I'm replying to another comment.

Cinderbloom Wed 24-Aug-16 23:37:39

Adding mine too. And no, I don't want another thread about trans issues or pronouns. The thread was about women.

DeathAnTaxes Wed 24-Aug-16 23:37:52

Hmm, I think that the MN position is asking you not to stoop to this person's level. Imagine that the anti semite/transphobic person was instead a Muslim. Would it be ok to make an islamophobic comment to show that you don't respect them if they don't respect others?

Actually are you trying to compare me factually stating that the above person is a man is similar to Islamophobia?

pennyunwise Wed 24-Aug-16 23:38:25

OP, it's just an online messageboard. Try not to take it so seriously. Maybe try getting out of the house for a while.

QuackDuckQuack Wed 24-Aug-16 23:38:35

When I said I rarely hear 'he or she' I meant the whole phrase, not just 'he' or 'she'. But 'he or she' is clunky and seems to be avoided in speech, so is either replaced by 'they' or another way to describe the person e.g. 'the masked assailant' in a news report.

PinkyOfPie Wed 24-Aug-16 23:39:36

I agree OP - to suggest that a person who is so rampantly woman hating (eg saying lesbians should sleep with men with penises to validate them), is not a man because they say they're not, is frankly fucking offensive.

DeathAnTaxes Wed 24-Aug-16 23:40:39

I'm too tired to explain the irony of your post to you Penny.

This thread is not accepting new messages.