Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 6

997 replies

Kucinghitam · 31/07/2023 04:25

Continuation of Thread 5.

There is so much excellent information and so many active discussions on FWR that I wondered if it would be useful to have a thread to sort of "cross-fertilise" between them - airing little thoughts or vignettes that wouldn't themselves merit their own thread, to highlight other posts/threads of particular interest or to point to notable developments on fast-moving threads so that casual observers know where to look.

(For example, "the X thread has meandered onto a fascinating discussion of Y" or "Poster P's amazing analysis on thread Z might have relevance to the scenario in thread W" or "Has anybody noticed this recurring theme that keeps coming up??" or even "Random bloke asked me to smile while I was choosing onions in the supermarket, grr"- that sort of thing).

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 5 | Mumsnet

Continuation of [[https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4759300-womens-rights-general-conversations-thread-4? Thread 4]]. There is so much excel...

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4807817-womens-rights-general-conversations-thread-5?

OP posts:
YetAnotherSpartacus · 31/07/2023 19:16

The OP has asked for the thread to be pulled …

DeanElderberry · 31/07/2023 19:18

I hope that means they spoke to the police and it's being treated seriously.

YetAnotherSpartacus · 31/07/2023 19:23

Nah. Buying thicker curtains.

MavisMcMinty · 31/07/2023 19:25

I just want to know more about the “outing activity”, it’s all I can ever think about when I see the phrase on MN. Can’t they make something up? Yoga?

MavisMcMinty · 31/07/2023 19:26

I mean, you’d see an awful lot of a person’s body doing naked yoga.

Boiledbeetle · 31/07/2023 19:26

Seriously anyone, Male or female who decides to do downward dog in their birthday suit in full view of neighbours with no curtains knows exactly what they are doing. And I know what they are getting out of it!

MouseMinge · 31/07/2023 20:06

I'm really sad that she's getting thicker curtains and basically living in the dark because there are reasons that it's uncomfortable to report the pervert. What a world we live in.

Also, manology. Poor men who've not been given any spaces to figure out how to be decent human beings like all those dreadful women have. And there's one of their own, a self-identified paedophile getting off with a slap on the wrist for being a danger to children. Again. What a world we live in.

MouseMinge · 31/07/2023 20:08

@BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn thanks for the link to the thread about Anna Funder's book on Eileen Blair. I've pre-ordered the paperback so it will be a while but I'm looking forward to it. It's also reminded me that I've been meaning to read Stasiland for ever and a day, so I've put it in my basket to be purchased soon-ish.

mach2 · 31/07/2023 20:39

From the last iteration:

I was in a pub men’s toilet once (best not to ask why). There was a graffitied “Now wash your feet” over the urinals.

Back in the 80s graffiti in the blokes public loos in Skipton said "What are you laughing at? The joke's in your hand".

Gonners · 31/07/2023 20:55

@mach2 Back in the 80s graffiti in the blokes public loos in Skipton said "What are you laughing at? The joke's in your hand".

Arf! So back the 80s, the stiletto was on the other foot and women were invading the gents' loos?

weaseleyes · 31/07/2023 22:17

I thought the age uk guide was reasonably pragmatic, given that there will be people in this situation, but it brought home how huge the challenges of caring for/being cared for - an ageing body after gender reassignment surgery must be. Ageing inflicts enough trials on us without this extra layer of difficulty. I wish no one felt they had to put themselves through it.

A colleague of mine, who does a lot of LGBT+ research, said an emerging issue for older trans people can be that if they develop dementia they start to forget their trans identity and revert to their previous sex. This can be very distressing for their families. I thought this was very poignant, though probably for different reasons than my colleague.

IcakethereforeIam · 31/07/2023 22:28

Elaine Miller talked about this. Elderly tw who were distressed they had no genitals, constantly forgetting, constantly being reminded. Carers who can't use the 'dead' name which is the only one the person recognised. Hellish.

MouseMinge · 31/07/2023 22:44

@Gonners my knowledge of men's loos is all down to having to use them when I was desperate for a pee and there was a ridiculously long queue for the women's. Interestingly men didn't like it much, hiding their tackle despite me entering with an "I'm sorry! I promise I'm not looking, but I need to go and the queue is too long for the ladies." I haven't done it for years because I'm no longer ever drunk which is the only thing that made entering Hades bearable and also made my need to pee stronger than it was when I'm sober. Men's loos are not for the fainthearted.

weaseleyes · 31/07/2023 22:44

It really must be awful. I cared for people with dementia for many years, and there were so many social niceties and norms that people lost, along with all the other losses, but no one ever forgot their sex or their sexuality. I can't imagine the disorientation and distress of it all. It used to be bad enough for people who were missing a limb.

MouseMinge · 31/07/2023 22:45

I love the suffragette cats. I guess it proves that we have always been witches and always will be.

artant · 31/07/2023 23:03

I also love the suffragette cats! Why didn’t I know about them before?!

bignosebignose · 01/08/2023 07:42

Morning all, I wonder how long Webberley will leave this Tweet up:

Top surgery is a completely routine and normal procedure that helps reduce gender dysphoria in trans men - a debilitating mental health issue that sadly takes so many lives every year.

https://twitter.com/helenwebberley/status/1686087509858467840?s=61&t=Q6bG6UpgNNK6wBpPUj7sDg

https://twitter.com/helenwebberley/status/1686087509858467840?s=61&t=Q6bG6UpgNNK6wBpPUj7sDg

DeanElderberry · 01/08/2023 07:50

why not

Liposuction is a completely routine and normal procedure that helps reduce body dysmorphia in people with anorexia - a debilitating mental health issue that sadly takes so many lives every year

Amputation seems a very primitive treatment for mental illness. But hey, it's profitable.

Gonners · 01/08/2023 08:16

I don't know how I missed this gem from last month: I agree that "bonus hole" is a great addition to the language, especially where the usual word would offend. I offer you "He really is a complete and utter bonus hole".

https://twitter.com/HelenWebberley/status/1678687073241296900

https://twitter.com/HelenWebberley/status/1678687073241296900

BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn · 01/08/2023 08:53

I thought the current line was that it isn't a mental health condition?

Kucinghitam · 01/08/2023 08:57

BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn · 01/08/2023 08:53

I thought the current line was that it isn't a mental health condition?

Don’t think of it as a line, but more of a troupe of tap dancing goalposts being piloted over an undulating oil slick in a wordcloud fog by a flock of Schrödinger-Cheshire Cat crossbreeds.

OP posts:
BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn · 01/08/2023 09:15

GP,WM.

Boiledbeetle · 01/08/2023 09:45

Kucinghitam · 01/08/2023 08:57

Don’t think of it as a line, but more of a troupe of tap dancing goalposts being piloted over an undulating oil slick in a wordcloud fog by a flock of Schrödinger-Cheshire Cat crossbreeds.

😁 The inside of your head must be a fascinating place to live. That description is superb. Superb I say!

Vegemiteandhoneyontoast · 01/08/2023 09:49

I've also wondered about the inside of Kuc's head, it sounds amazing.

Vegemiteandhoneyontoast · 01/08/2023 09:52

Just read a good and thoughtful piece by Victoria Smith in the Critic, where she writes about the issues of blame and trust and how hard it is to trust again when you've been wrongly told it must be your fault.

https://thecritic.co.uk/trust-and-the-terf-wars/

Trust and the TERF wars | Victoria Smith | The Critic Magazine

Why should feminists trust anyone again?

https://thecritic.co.uk/trust-and-the-terf-wars

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.