Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 6

997 replies

Kucinghitam · 31/07/2023 04:25

Continuation of Thread 5.

There is so much excellent information and so many active discussions on FWR that I wondered if it would be useful to have a thread to sort of "cross-fertilise" between them - airing little thoughts or vignettes that wouldn't themselves merit their own thread, to highlight other posts/threads of particular interest or to point to notable developments on fast-moving threads so that casual observers know where to look.

(For example, "the X thread has meandered onto a fascinating discussion of Y" or "Poster P's amazing analysis on thread Z might have relevance to the scenario in thread W" or "Has anybody noticed this recurring theme that keeps coming up??" or even "Random bloke asked me to smile while I was choosing onions in the supermarket, grr"- that sort of thing).

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 5 | Mumsnet

Continuation of [[https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4759300-womens-rights-general-conversations-thread-4? Thread 4]]. There is so much excel...

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4807817-womens-rights-general-conversations-thread-5?

OP posts:
Kucinghitam · 01/08/2023 09:58

It’s just my jet lag talking!

OP posts:
Boiledbeetle · 01/08/2023 10:10

Kucinghitam · 01/08/2023 09:58

It’s just my jet lag talking!

Your jet lag has a way with words then 😍

MouseMinge · 01/08/2023 10:24

Thanks for sharing @Vegemiteandhoneyontoast , that piece is so powerful and spot on.

Also, that Webberly woman is a piece of work. I am so over having to create new misogynist language because some of the roughly 1% find everything so fucking triggering. Enough. Get over yourselves. Your faux vulnerability is getting old and we are so tired of your nonsense.

DeanElderberry · 01/08/2023 11:24

Saw this on Twitter - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_the_Stone

More than five and a quarter centuries later we have a doctor suggesting that cutting the tits of madness is a cure for something. Dear God.

DeanElderberry · 01/08/2023 11:24
SqueakyDinosaur · 01/08/2023 11:31

For anyone who's watched the Richard Dawkins/Helen Joyce interview, or read his piece in the New Statesman, here's an entertainingly shit piece purporting to address How He Is Wong (spoiler alert: It Doesn't):

https://www.friendlyatheist.com/p/richard-dawkins-used-his-new-podcast

Richard Dawkins used his new podcast to promote more transphobic lies

In a conversation with Helen Joyce, Dawkins showed he hasn't learned anything about this issue

https://www.friendlyatheist.com/p/richard-dawkins-used-his-new-podcast

BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn · 01/08/2023 13:34

Hmm - on the questions of biology should I listen to zoologist and evolutionary biologist Professor Richard Dawkins, or to YouTuber Jackson Wagon?

Tough one.

StephanieSuperpowers · 01/08/2023 13:38

Well Jackson Wagon has a more interesting and modern name, if that helps the decision?

SqueakyDinosaur · 01/08/2023 13:39

It is a tricky one, I agree.

BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn · 01/08/2023 13:52

It is a good name, but he has no Wikepedia page and the 'about' section of his YouTube channel is blank - can I trust someone with such a small internet presence? Whereas Dawkins is on Twitter and has a Wikipedia page, so I think he wins.

StephanieSuperpowers · 01/08/2023 14:41

I think I may have seen a book once which looked a bit sciencey and appeared to have been written by someone called R Dawkins - probably not the same chap though.

MavisMcMinty · 01/08/2023 15:10

JFC! From that insane article’s introduction:

and it’s with notorious transphobe Helen Joyce, who has no expertise in the subject matter but has been obsessed with the topic for years and has plenty of ties to the most notorious anti-trans voices online.

The Insidious Transphobia of "The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling"

The Witch Trials of J.K. Rowling with Megan Phelps-Roper claims to be an good-faith conversation, but it couldn't be more biased.

https://sheseeksnonfiction.blog/2023/04/14/witchtrials/6/#:~:text=Ties%20to%20the%20far%20right

duc748 · 01/08/2023 15:47

Hello new thread!

Top surgery is a completely routine and normal procedure that helps reduce gender dysphoria in trans men - a debilitating mental health issue that sadly takes so many lives every year.

And this person is.... a doctor? WTAF?

Gonners · 01/08/2023 16:15

@MavisMcMinty JFC! From that insane article’s introduction...

Arf! A lot of US-based atheists online are complete nutjobs, though. Both MrG and I were banned (twice!) from the Happy Atheist forums. (The first time it was for having the same IP address, though we had openly admitted when we joined that we were a couple. So they were also quite dim.) He was finally thrown out for arguing, very politely, that adopting the proselytising tactics of the religious right seemed like a bad idea. I was probably banned by association, or possibly because they thought I was some sort of Commie.

TheABC · 01/08/2023 16:21

Kucinghitam · 01/08/2023 08:57

Don’t think of it as a line, but more of a troupe of tap dancing goalposts being piloted over an undulating oil slick in a wordcloud fog by a flock of Schrödinger-Cheshire Cat crossbreeds.

I fell in love with you a little bit, for that. Superb!

MavisMcMinty · 01/08/2023 16:42

And it paid off. We had much-needed reflection, recreation and family time; people came back feeling motivated and ready to work. Ideas that came into focus over that time have led to us growing our team, and our income this year, by almost 50%. As a result, we’re doing it again. We’ve embedded it in our employee contracts as a permanent feature, alongside working a fully paid four-day week, having an additional 20 or more days holiday annually, and creating a policy for fully paid sabbaticals after long service.

MavisMcMinty · 01/08/2023 16:44

That would attract so many excellent candidates, too!

StephanieSuperpowers · 01/08/2023 16:46

Yeah, they will have their pick of applicants for every position.

MyLadyDisdainlsYetLiving · 01/08/2023 17:28

It’s also the kind of employer that gains huge amounts of employee loyalty. All round win really. I WFH in a role that doesn’t depend on my being online in fixed hours, and my boss has said she doesn’t care if I do all my work in the middle of the night and sleep all day, as long as it’s done properly and deadlines are met. However other departments are not so enlightened, and I’m currently working with someone who has had a family bereavement and who is apologising that there have been online only intermittently and they will be unavailable the day of the funeral. It’s inhumane.

BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn · 01/08/2023 22:05

The bit about how many organisations treat staff surveys etc is also depressingly familiar.

MouseMinge · 01/08/2023 22:43

That piece of shit article about how wrong Dawkins is and how notoriously transphobic Helen Joyce is and, and, and ... Jesus wept, I want to smack his stupid fucking face. I am so fucking over halfwits thinking they understand biology when what they understand is nothing. NOTHING! I'm reminded of when I peaked. It was on Twitter, where else, there was some "discussion" or other about sex and gender filled with the sort of people who are on TRSOH. Stuff was being said. I tweeted something along the lines of "Gender is the construct, not sex." Someone came back to me, rather aggressively. I can't remember all of it but the crux of it was "Sex is the construct, gender is the reality." At that point I realised that the world was turned upside down, that there was absolutely no point in talking to the fully signed-up members of the cult and I was a tad angry about it all.

MavisMcMinty · 02/08/2023 01:37

I just didn’t see that sort of thing on my feed - partly because I never engaged with the subject so the algorithms ignored it, but also because I followed/was followed by an awful lot of #BeKinders.

MyLadyDisdainlsYetLiving · 02/08/2023 03:41

I’ve been on another male orientated forum elsewhere that very rarely discusses current affairs (and politics is outright banned) and someone else brought up the topic of Pride a couple of days ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people saying they supported LGB but were a bit mystified at the relevance of TQ+ stuff on LGB rights. Only needed a few mild factual “did you realise” type comments to nudge things along uphill for readers. The one TRSOH contributor is someone I happen to know as a young man with very “progressive” views who continually muddled up gender and sex. And in a marvellous turn of events, the moderator closed the conversation because of the TRSOH contributor and not the terfy lot! He kept trying to call some of us cis even when it was explained why we would rather he didn’t, and he was starting to get less civil. I’m not sure his position has been questioned like that before. Maybe it will get him thinking.

duc748 · 02/08/2023 11:19

That's what I generally find. Although it's such a hot topic on MN, I think I passes a lot of the public by. Mate of mine comes round every Tuesday, and we have a few beers and a chat. I've brought up aspects of the topic before, last night too. He agrees with me, I made a few more connections for him. Well, who wouldn't agree ? Who'd think drag classes for schoolchildren and young girls mutilating themselves at an early age is a good idea? And that bloody Costa logo.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.