Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 6

997 replies

Kucinghitam · 31/07/2023 04:25

Continuation of Thread 5.

There is so much excellent information and so many active discussions on FWR that I wondered if it would be useful to have a thread to sort of "cross-fertilise" between them - airing little thoughts or vignettes that wouldn't themselves merit their own thread, to highlight other posts/threads of particular interest or to point to notable developments on fast-moving threads so that casual observers know where to look.

(For example, "the X thread has meandered onto a fascinating discussion of Y" or "Poster P's amazing analysis on thread Z might have relevance to the scenario in thread W" or "Has anybody noticed this recurring theme that keeps coming up??" or even "Random bloke asked me to smile while I was choosing onions in the supermarket, grr"- that sort of thing).

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 5 | Mumsnet

Continuation of [[https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4759300-womens-rights-general-conversations-thread-4? Thread 4]]. There is so much excel...

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4807817-womens-rights-general-conversations-thread-5?

OP posts:
Gonners · 02/11/2023 18:40

@BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn - Obviously we weren't expecting your first point to be fixed. Someone has noticed the second, and at the bottom of the load of tosh it now says: This article was amended on 2 November 2023. An earlier version of the subheading incorrectly implied that Graham Linehan is British; he is Irish. I don't know why "implied that he is British" made me laugh.

As to the third, whomever complained about it (if anyone done that), them was obviously ignored.

BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn · 02/11/2023 19:17

😄

IcakethereforeIam · 02/11/2023 20:39

They mis-nationalitied him!

MouseMinge · 02/11/2023 23:24

That is literal violence. It is the attempted genocide of the Irish. This is only half funny given what Charles Trevelyan, when in charge of famine relief during the potato blight/famine in Ireland had to say about the famine and the Irish:

"The judgement of God send the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson and that calamity must not be too mitigated [..] The real evil with which we have to contend is not the physical evil of the famine, but the moral evil of the selfish, perverse and turbulent character of the people."

IcakethereforeIam · 03/11/2023 00:21

JKR's first Robert Galbraith book, the Cuckoo's Calling, is 99p today (3rd November) on Amazon kindle.

SinnerBoy · 03/11/2023 01:05

an “activist”, during which memoir is largely replaced by polemic.

Why write activist in quotation marks? It's pretty clear that he is an activist and this looks petty and sneering.

Why say that he had a verbal warning from the Police, without giving it the honest context that this was an abuse of Police power and that his opinions are entirely legal?

It seems like a hatchet piece, with a grudging nod to the fact that it's interesting and funny.

StephanieSuperpowers · 03/11/2023 09:10

MouseMinge · 02/11/2023 11:59

The Graun are captured arseholes. One day they'll realise how wrong they are but it'll be a while and they'll just change their editorial and pretend it never happened.

And if they can't, it'll be just as Glosswitch says. They'll have been wrong for the right reasons (marvellous compassion and loveliness), whereas we'll be right for the wrong reasons (bigoted evil).

ColinTheGenderMinotaur · 03/11/2023 11:22

Nigel’s hairstyle is quite a thing.

Boiledbeetle · 04/11/2023 22:56

roll up roll up! Buy a book, but not just any book, a book of poems when by your fellow mumsnet posters.

Currently at No 1 in political and protest poetry! (Not bad as it only went live this time last night!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CMJZ43VZ?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

100% profit goes to For Women Scotland

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 6
Vegemiteandhoneyontoast · 05/11/2023 12:26

Can someone help me out, please?

A year or so ago I came across a piece online which was about the amount of work achieved on an allotment by middle-aged women retail workers vs gym bunnies where the middle-aged women got far more done. I really want to find it again but can't find the right search string, or maybe the search engines are all crap. It's driving me mad. Help!

BezMills · 05/11/2023 15:24

Doesn't surprise me. Sheer bloody-minded determination bests natural talent over any distance.

Vegemiteandhoneyontoast · 05/11/2023 16:06

Damn, what did I do with it? Thought I'd saved a copy. Cross.

MmePoppySeedDefage · 05/11/2023 17:12

I doubt this is it, as it's an MA dissertation and it's talking about 'gender' in relation to sex (Brighton...) but at least it's looking at women using allotments and how they are getting a lot out of it:

https://www.bhaf.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/IDSgenderrwomenallotmentssbrightonhoveewarui2021.pdf

Vegemiteandhoneyontoast · 05/11/2023 17:26

Thanks, MmePoppySeedDefage, but it wasn't that one. It was just a short piece about an overgrown allotment where men from a local gym volunteered a few hours of work, followed by a group of middle-aged women retail workers. The men did a bit of work but a lot of fork-leaning, while the women really got stuck in and cleared a huge area.

I thought it was an interesting illustration that going to the gym isn't always all it's cracked up to be, plus the ability of the women to work and talk at the same time. Working in horticulture I've noticed that women are generally very comfortable working and talking, while men will often stop working when they talk.

Gonners · 05/11/2023 17:59

Working in horticulture I've noticed that women are generally very comfortable working and talking, while men will often stop working when they talk. 

I've noticed that in all sorts of situations, notably at the local Coop tills where I try to avoid the men because if anyone asks them a difficult question (like "What time do you close?" or "Lovely day, isn't it?") they are unable to keep scanning while answering. See also walking and chewing gum.

(As an aside, what LBJ said about Ford was allegedly that he couldn't fart and chew gum at the same time, but this was deemed too vulgar for the American public.)

MavisMcMinty · 05/11/2023 18:10

@Kucinghitam - We’re gonna need a bigger thread.

Vegemiteandhoneyontoast · 05/11/2023 18:14

they are unable to keep scanning while answering. See also walking and chewing gum.

Ooh, I shall check that the next time I'm in the supermarket.

I love working with other women and chatting as we weed or prune, it's a real pleasure.

MavisMcMinty · 05/11/2023 18:21

Gonners · 05/11/2023 17:59

Working in horticulture I've noticed that women are generally very comfortable working and talking, while men will often stop working when they talk. 

I've noticed that in all sorts of situations, notably at the local Coop tills where I try to avoid the men because if anyone asks them a difficult question (like "What time do you close?" or "Lovely day, isn't it?") they are unable to keep scanning while answering. See also walking and chewing gum.

(As an aside, what LBJ said about Ford was allegedly that he couldn't fart and chew gum at the same time, but this was deemed too vulgar for the American public.)

For no other reason than you made me think of the sublime Alan Partridge as a supermarket worker.

Partridge works at Tesco for a day

Clip from Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kpd3rrtKzA

MavisMcMinty · 05/11/2023 18:27

I think his first customer is a bit-part actor who actually works/worked in the Waitrose in Okehampton.

IcakethereforeIam · 05/11/2023 19:06

My fella and youngest sprog like watching reruns of QI. They put one on from series K and Glinner was on it😢

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.