Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Are we not allowed to be proud of our kids these days?

CornflakeMum · 14/07/2022 20:27

Would appreciate some other points of view on this...

Was out with some other mum friends this afternoon and we were catching up about various people we haven't seen for a while. One of the women started slagging off someone who wasn't there saying "did you see that she posted a picture on facebook at her daughter's graduation, making a big thing about the fact her daughter got a First Class Degree? Who bloody cares?"

I was a bit Hmm as I saw the post and thought it was OK - not over the top, just "So proud to celebrate X's graduation - First Class Honours in XYZ at Y uni..." that sort of thing.

What's wrong with that exactly? I know there are a higher % of Firsts awarded these days but it's still a wonderful achievement. Also anyone graduating this year has had to navigate two years of uni with the crappy covid situation, so all credit to them.

Are we not allowed to be proud of our kids' achievements these days?

OP's posts:
Please
or

CornflakeMum · 14/07/2022 20:28

I was surprised to learn that the degree class isn't mentioned at the graduation ceremony either these days - according to DS it's "so that those that got less than a 2:1 aren't embarrassed and upset" Hmm.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Shoopitypoop · 14/07/2022 20:29

Sounds like the person complaining was an arse TBH

Please
or

TeenDivided · 14/07/2022 20:32

When I was at uni we all had to go into a hall to hear our finals results read out class by class. Just for my subject. Because it was 'tradition'.
Of course you are allowed to be proud of your DC graduating.

Please
or

HeddaGarbled · 14/07/2022 20:34

Of course it’s OK to be proud. You can be proud without boasting on Facebook.

Please
or

GCHeretic · 14/07/2022 20:35

It’s not only children, any sort of personal achievement seems to make some people arrogant and indignant. It seems able to prompt people to kick off on the subject of privilege, ableism, elitism it any number of other buzz words.

Some if the “worst” achievements on here seem to be earning a good wage and getting into a good university.

Please
or

TeenDivided · 14/07/2022 20:39

If people can't be happy your DC graduated then they shouldn't be friends with you on Facebook.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 14/07/2022 20:53

Of course you can

The woman who criticised is a plonker

Please
or

HMSSophia · 14/07/2022 21:01

My DD has just been accepted by RADA and I'm proud as can be. So there :)

Please
or

GCAcademic · 14/07/2022 21:02

It’s the British way, OP. Anti-intellectualism and knocking people’s achievements.

Please
or

MammaWeasel · 14/07/2022 21:06

Jealousy, most likely.

Please
or

RaininSummer · 14/07/2022 21:09

Well I posted my daughter's success with a 1st class on FB as a recognition for her hard work and because my friends would be interested and pleased for her just as I would for their kids. Wasn't really bragging but it was a big achievement.

Please
or

GiselleRose · 14/07/2022 21:11

Envy is so unpleasant.

Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 14/07/2022 21:12

God I've been telling everyone who will listen that ds got a 1st AND a Dean's commendation, I don't usually boast but blimey, I'm so proud of him I could burst!

Please
or

5zeds · 14/07/2022 21:12

My friends ALL post their good news. I love them why wouldn’t I want to say congratulations? Some of them have children who have overcome huge challenges. What miserable sod wouldn’t want to hear someone’s child had graduated?

Please
or

merryhouse · 14/07/2022 21:15

TeenDivided · 14/07/2022 20:39

If people can't be happy your DC graduated then they shouldn't be friends with you on Facebook.

AOL

Please
or

WonderWine · 14/07/2022 21:16

RaininSummer · 14/07/2022 21:09

Well I posted my daughter's success with a 1st class on FB as a recognition for her hard work and because my friends would be interested and pleased for her just as I would for their kids. Wasn't really bragging but it was a big achievement.

Yes, exactly this. I’m always pleased to hear what my friends’ children are up to, and their important achievements. I’m genuinely pleased and happy for them, especially if my friends have been sharing the ‘ups & downs’ of the journey over the years!

Please
or

justasking111 · 14/07/2022 21:26

My DS and friends have worked so hard the last three years in miserable circumstances holed up in their rooms remote learning coming home for months on end. The university experience we promised him three years ago fun and learning were gone. They'll be a different practice generation of adults, too serious by far

So yes shout their achievements from the rooftop

Please
or

easyday · 14/07/2022 21:32

But @HeddaGarbled what is FB for? Sharing good news, holiday snaps, silly pics of your pets, a pretty sunset or info about a great play or exhibit you've been to recently...
That's what I use it for, and only my friends can see it. When my kids achieve something great I'll be posting about it.
Sounds like this woman is jealous of another's well earned reward.

Please
or

Guineapiggies · 14/07/2022 21:34

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with posting about your DC's graduation. If people can't share your joy for a big life event then they are not true friends. However, I have a FB friend who blatantly boasts about every tiny little achievement of her seventeen year old DD and it is toe curling as well as totally exaggerated. She also photoshops the DD's photos which I think is sending very strange messages to the girl. It all makes me cringe and it's nothing to do with jealousy. My own DC are achieving very well but they would disown me if I were crowing about it on FB.

Please
or

MeridianGrey · 14/07/2022 21:37

HeddaGarbled · 14/07/2022 20:34

Of course it’s OK to be proud. You can be proud without boasting on Facebook.

Have you ever been on Facebook? What else do people post except things they are pleased/proud of. I never go on to do myself or my family down.

Please
or

ToastedWaffle · 14/07/2022 21:39

The friend who made the snipey comment sounds like a complete dick. I would ghost her. Does it ever make you wonder what she says about you behind your back? She's Mean Girls territory.

Please
or

roarfeckingroarr · 14/07/2022 21:45

Because you could just tell your daughter you're proud. You don't have to do it on Facebook.

Please
or

ToastedWaffle · 14/07/2022 21:46

Hope you told her to stfu OP. I had a friend like this once. She slagged everyone off behind their backs. Called one of her friends sweaty, called another friends newborn baby ugly, and it just made me paranoid she was talking about me like this to the group when i wasnt there. I used to pull her on stuff all the time. In the end I decided I couldn't be around her anymore, she was too toxic. So i blocked her and moved on. No regrets.

Please
or

ToastedWaffle · 14/07/2022 21:48

roarfeckingroarr · 14/07/2022 21:45

Because you could just tell your daughter you're proud. You don't have to do it on Facebook.

Some people enjoy being supportive of others achievements and like to know what people are up to. Theres no harm in it.

Please
or

roarfeckingroarr · 14/07/2022 21:57

@ToastedWaffle yeah I guess. This is why I don't have Facebook. It's not that I'm not happy for people, I really am, I just think feeling the need to put it on social media really lame and cringey. I see the need for validation through likes and comments as weak. That's just me though.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.