Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Couch to 5K - Run 1 done...

resipsa · 13/03/2020 13:41

I did my first 'run' today. Think I'm going to need help to go all the way to week 9 but determined to do it before I hit the big 50. Anyone else started this week? Fancy a support thread? Couldn't see an active recent one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

jeaux90 · 13/03/2020 18:00

I'm using this to get back into running after an injury. I love that you can play music and it cuts in periodically with instructions.

I'm trying to find a decent resistance band work out or Pilates online to go with it to tone up.

Please
or

LuckyLickitung · 13/03/2020 21:21

Congratulations. It's the toughest run done. Not that there won't be challenges on the way, but deciding to get out there and following through with it is a big step Smile

Please
or

jimmychooing · 13/03/2020 21:58

I completed week 1 run 3 todaySmile hoping I can keep it up!

Please
or

resipsa · 15/03/2020 08:38

Hi everyone! I didn't see the replies until today. Glad there is something else to talk about than, well, the state of the nation.
I was contemplating run 2 now but it's started to rain and I just don't have the will to go out in it so might defer until tomorrow.

OP's posts:
Please
or

StSaulOfSnacks · 15/03/2020 09:04

I've just restarted and have finished week 1. I finished the whole programme and was running 5Ks but then hurt my back so have been out of action for a while. Am going to see how much running my back can tolerate. I missed it so much and would rather do just a little bit than none at all. And I love running in the rain. Just wear a peaked cap.

Please
or

resipsa · 15/03/2020 18:45

Smile. I wait until later. Run 2 done ✅.

OP's posts:
Please
or

StSaulOfSnacks · 16/03/2020 10:23

Well done. I just did week 2 run 1. It was beautiful out there this morning.

Please
or

resipsa · 16/03/2020 11:38

How was it? Not sure I'll last for 90 seconds!!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

StSaulOfSnacks · 16/03/2020 13:57

It was fine.

Please
or

Spanielsanddaughters · 16/03/2020 14:22

I was hoping to find a thread! I’ve actually done wk 4, r1 but hoping you will still accept me Grin

How fast do you go? At some points I feel like walking would be faster but it’s still harder work jogging.

I wasn’t going to do a “run” (really slow jog) today as did Saturday and Sunday, but I thought I’d see how far I would go, I did 8.5minutes pushing the pram.

A few weeks ago 90 seconds was hard work so hope that gives some inspiration!
Still can’t imagine being able to go for 20 mins straight!

Please
or

resipsa · 17/03/2020 22:18

Wow, week 4. Commitment! Well done.
My 9 year old has decided to join me. She barely panted let alone broke a 😓. Getting out to the park for 30 mins will keep me sane, I hope.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Spanielsanddaughters · 18/03/2020 21:21

I managed to get my wk4,2 run in this morning before DH left for work. My kids are 1 and 2.5 so not ready to join me yet. Don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad thing... I usually push the little one round though.
Thankfully mum has offered to give me some time in the week now nursery is closed so I can keep getting out!

Please
or

resipsa · 19/03/2020 18:21

Hmm, yeah, not sure what I'll do come Monday as 4 year old is too little to join in and DH is 'too busy' (been made Gold commander or something similar so overinflated sense of importance presides) to watch her, he says. Might get up early if the weather is good.

OP's posts:
Please
or

happytobemrsg · 23/03/2020 18:16

I did w1 R2 today. Really enjoying it so far. I’m very lucky to have a fully equipped home gym (DH is a PT) & I’m hoping I can stick to the full 9 weeks & come out of self isolation a runner!

Please
or

houseofrabbits · 25/03/2020 12:47

Great to see this thread! I just completed week 1 run 1. I have to admit it was hard work and I'm not completely convinced I'm going to get to 30 minutes solid running, but I'll give it a go!

Please
or

happytobemrsg · 25/03/2020 13:50

Week 1 completed! Whoop!

Please
or

FrankUnderwoodsWife · 25/03/2020 13:54

Hi all, I started this week and am due to do W1R3 today. Find it all so hard. I can’t imagine running for 6 mins let alone 20

Please
or

resipsa · 25/03/2020 22:57

Lovely to see some more of you using your only time outside like me!
I'm now on Week 3 and a bit scared for Run 1 tomorrow not least because I don't think my route from earlier weeks is long enough but I can't figure out where to go that will be free of people.
Option A is just to go at 6am...

OP's posts:
Please
or

happytobemrsg · 27/03/2020 14:10

W2 R1 done. That was TOUGH! Although I must admit, the final 90 second run was slightly easier than the first. Knackered 😩

Please
or

happytobemrsg · 27/03/2020 14:11

I stupidly said to DH that we could do a 10k run together next year (he’s a PT). What was I thinking?! I got carried away reading all those C25k success stories

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 27/03/2020 14:14

I did it for the first time 3 years ago. Now I run three times a week every week and love it.

You WILL do it if you decide to.

Please
or

Spanielsanddaughters · 28/03/2020 06:29

How is everyone getting on?
I had to have over a week off due to back injury which was really annoying.
I thought I would give it a go yesterday and was so pleased I managed, very slowly, to do wk4.3 whilst pushing the pram so haven’t had to repeat one... yet!

Please
or

resipsa · 28/03/2020 10:58

Hi 👋 all. Glad to read the positive posts. I opted to get up and out at 6 on Thursday and today. I'd finished the final run today before I saw another person! So, so weird.
Next for me will be W3R3 on Monday.

For the seasoned finishers, can you go too quickly through the runs? I'll be onto W4R2 within 3 calendar weeks if I stick to my plan. Should I spread it out more? Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

happytobemrsg · 28/03/2020 13:00

No runs for me this weekend & as hard as I found my last run (w2 r1) I’m strangely disappointed not to be running today. I’ve been moaning at DH to create a 30 minute programme for me to do at the weekends (he’s a PT) but he hasn’t done it yet.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 28/03/2020 13:50

I didn't go too quickly through them. Two reasons. One, so you don't get injured. Two, because building a sustainable routine that you can stick to forever long term is important. I can commit long term to three runs a week, not more.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.