Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Jack Monroe off Twitter

1000 replies

beammeuphottie · 28/09/2022 20:28

The latest in the ongoing saga is that JM has left Twitter after being 'hounded off'. The incident that seemed to provoke this...someone critiquing a photo of her mums roast potatoes. It just gets more and more bizarre.

To be clear, I don't like to see public pile ons and some of the abuse directed at Jack has been unpleasant. But a lot has also been reasonable, polite requests for information regarding her patreon which have largely been totally ignored. And her supporters have to be some of the most cruel people on Twitter. It seems like it's fine for JM to voice her opinion but as soon as others do the same they are called out for bullying. And ironically subjected to vile comments from her followers. Go figure.

Am I the only one who thinks she's probably best having a little Twitter break? But eventually if she's ever to redeem her reputation she needs to show some transparency regarding public donations.

OP posts:
Mingot · 28/09/2022 20:29

She's a huge attention seeking baby. She'll be back. There was a thread on here yesterday and a link called Saint or scammer was very interesting.

MrsTerryPratchett · 28/09/2022 20:31

Some people shouldn't be famous and yet crave it. It's like an addiction. Really unhealthy.

Noln · 28/09/2022 20:31

I think this is the link
medium.com/@AwfullyMolly/jack-monroe-saint-or-scammer-80ec92f37bb6

She's a bit of a narcissist I think. Which tends to have a root in insecurity so I don't mean that as totally horribly as it sounds.

MyfavouriteisA · 28/09/2022 20:31
Essexgirlupnorth · 28/09/2022 20:32

I agree will do her good to be off twitter but it never lasts very long.

There are alot of holes in her stories and alot of people have donated money with out transparency on where it has gone.

NerrSnerr · 28/09/2022 20:33

I have watched Jack's Twitter account for years and it's obvious that she has periods of being unwell. She has talked about alcoholism etc.

I think she is trying to do the right thing and help people. I think sometimes things may be misjudged or stories changed (and many people do that on SM) but I don't think she's a bad person.

People moan about her Patreon but that's the people who donate's choice to support her.

beammeuphottie · 28/09/2022 20:36

@NerrSnerr it is but they are getting nothing for it. And she is pleading poverty asking for more handouts when she's getting a steady income from Patreon for doing bugger all!

I do believe her intentions were good to begin with but she has created a fake persona and I think her lies are coming back to bite her now. It's sad to watch but her followers don't help. They are so abusive to anyone who remotely questions her.

OP posts:
category12 · 28/09/2022 20:39

I don't think she was hounded off.

She was the real aggressor in the potato fight - the guy just said her potatoes looked dire and she went all out claiming he was picking on her disabled mum and created a really nasty pile on HIM (her thousands of followers on a tiny account). Then people started laughing at her.

I'm sure she does get abuse, but she's said things about setting her flying monkeys on people, so she's not exactly a saint.

ClaudineClare · 28/09/2022 20:44

I would really like to know what she said in her Catherine Cookson lecture at Hastings. There must be a mumsnetter or two who went.

A580Hojas · 28/09/2022 20:47

I'm as tired of seeing Jack Monroe threads on Mumsnet as I am of Holly & Phil threads.

JM flounces off Twitter quite regularly doesn't they? They'll be back.

TrashPandas · 28/09/2022 20:48

It would be good if she stayed off, but she craves attention too much to leave social media.

At least this will stop her conning people out of money for a few weeks.

LizzieSiddal · 28/09/2022 20:54

What we’re people expecting from their Patreon payments? If she’s not giving them what they want, surely they should just stop the payments?
I pay toward someone’s Patreon and I get very little in return. That’s fine with me, it just supports the person.

LizzieSiddal · 28/09/2022 20:54

Excuse typos

DorritLittle · 28/09/2022 20:55

I like JM but have no opinion about this as I am not on Twitter. But threads about celebrities just reinforce online bullying even if they do not mean to. Why not just stay out of it? She seems generally very fragile so I agree she would be better off not doing social media, but she might have come to Mumsnet for a break tonight and this is here. So, YABU.

LostAtTheCrossRoad · 28/09/2022 20:56

I think she's very ill and has been for a long time. All this purient interest in what she says or does won't help.

Againstmachine · 28/09/2022 20:58

I don't like to see public pile ons and some of the abuse directed at Jack has been unpleasant

From what I have seen she is instigating many pile ons if someone disagrees with her.

Never liked her she thinks she is saviour of the poor when in reality she doesn't do anything for them.

HermioneWeasley · 28/09/2022 21:00

She’ll be back tomorrow.

Sparklingbrook · 28/09/2022 21:01

I agree with a PP doesn't she regularly flounce off Twitter? I don't think she's particularly interesting. Wasn't it something to do with washing the sauce off baked beans last time?

beammeuphottie · 28/09/2022 21:01

DorritLittle · 28/09/2022 20:55

I like JM but have no opinion about this as I am not on Twitter. But threads about celebrities just reinforce online bullying even if they do not mean to. Why not just stay out of it? She seems generally very fragile so I agree she would be better off not doing social media, but she might have come to Mumsnet for a break tonight and this is here. So, YABU.

It's topical. She's in the public eye. People talk about this stuff. It's different to seeking her out on Twitter and tweeting her to be directly horrible. Which is what her followers do to a lot of people.

Online bullying is horrible but there are some behaviours (such as conning people out of money) that need to be called out.

OP posts:
LizzieSiddal · 28/09/2022 21:04

LostAtTheCrossRoad
I think she's very ill and has been for a long time. All this purient interest in what she says or does won't help.

I agree. She clearly has issues and I hope she’s getting help. People should leave her alone.

Againstmachine · 28/09/2022 21:06

I agree. She clearly has issues and I hope she’s getting help. People should leave her alone.

Recently she encouraged a pile on on a disabled man. She doesn't get a free pass.

Overthemoonies · 28/09/2022 21:07

Can we see the photo of the potatoes anywhere?

LizzieSiddal · 28/09/2022 21:07

Recently she encouraged a pile on on a disabled man. She doesn't get a free pass.

As I said she clearly had issues.

Againstmachine · 28/09/2022 21:10

As I said she clearly had issues.

She says a lot about of issues when people question various things funnily enough.

ChutneyVirgin · 28/09/2022 21:11

Too slow Op. thread yesterday

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.