Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Diana and Charles Questions

AdoraLovesCake · 21/09/2022 06:51

So this is not a AIBU but it's an ATBU for are THEY being unreasonable.

I have seen a lot of you tube shorts marking the 25 year death of Lady Diana Spencer/the princess. They say she was a devoted mum and participated in the boys' school events, gave them macdonald's ect. Was a lovely, normal mum. I don't dispute that. Even though she died just before I was born so i hardly know anything about her, i think she is amazing and did not deserve to die. That brings me on to how some people said she wrote in her diary that she thought Charles was planning to kill her (staging an accident) so he could marry Camilla and that she knew something was wrong with the brakes in her car. For any of you who don't know, she died in a car accident in Paris on August 31rd 1997.

She was the people's princess and adored by all, she was one of us as her children went to public schools, she dressed casual. ect.

I also have some questions:

• Where was Diana buried, I know she had a state funeral thing?
  • Did Diana see her kids much after the divorce?
  • If Diana was alive now, what would her position be?
  • Charles did not mention Diana in his becoming king speech - he could have said 'And the boys' mother who taught them so much' or something - do you think he should have?

YABU: They are being unreasonable and Charles did not order Diana's murder
YANBU: They are not being unreasonable and Charles did order Diana's murder
OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

ThatshallotBaby · 21/09/2022 06:52

I know she’s buried on her brother's estate, I think on an island in a lake.

Please
or

AdoraLovesCake · 21/09/2022 06:53

ThatshallotBaby · 21/09/2022 06:52

I know she’s buried on her brother's estate, I think on an island in a lake.

Thanks, @ThatshallotBaby I didn't even know she had a brother, only a sister!

OP's posts:
Please
or

KangarooKenny · 21/09/2022 06:55

Yea, she’s buried on an island in her brother’s/family estate.
She was very badly treated.

Please
or

Everydaywheniwakeup · 21/09/2022 06:56

I was never a Diana fan (putting it mildly) but I really do not think there was a plot to murder her.

Please
or

Aprilx · 21/09/2022 06:56

AdoraLovesCake · 21/09/2022 06:53

Thanks, @ThatshallotBaby I didn't even know she had a brother, only a sister!

She had a very “famous” brother and two sisters.

Please
or

Hmmmwhatnametochoose · 21/09/2022 06:56

• On her family estate - Althorp in Northamptonshire. She didn't have a state funeral.
  • No idea but I expect so.
  • No idea.
  • No, I don't think he should've mentioned her.

She certainly wasn't 'one of us' - or not me, anyway.
Please
or

wherethewildthingis · 21/09/2022 06:59

Not sure if you're in UK, but public school here means private school- the boys went to a fee paying exclusive school. Princess Diana was poorly treated at times but behaved equally badly herself at times. She had many good qualities but many negative qualities too, she was not a paragon of virtue.

Please
or

GhostFromTheOtherSide · 21/09/2022 06:59

All this people’s princess etc is a load of bollocks.

The love for Diana emerged after her death mainly because of how she was hounded by the press.

But the tide had turned against her long before that. If she’d still been alive she would have hopefully faded into obscurity by now.

And wtf should Charles have mentioned in his speech?

Please
or

wigywhoo · 21/09/2022 06:59

Seems like you don't know much. Her Wikipedia article would have been a start!

Some starters:

• she saw her children lots
  • Her brother is Earl Spencer, he is the late Queen's Godson - he was at the funeral
  • She was media savvy, she was treated badly but Beas also not blameless, a bit dim,

-you seem to think public schools in the UK are free, they are not, despite the name. Apologies if you're not UK based and don't know.
Please
or

W0tnow · 21/09/2022 07:00

She was buried on private property, in part I think to avoid the constant hoards of people who would have made the pilgrimage to her grave. And there would have been hoards, I was 28 when she died, you cannot overestimate the public response to her death.

She was close to her children after the divorce and was absolutely a constant in their lives. I imagine she saw them as much as possible. They took holidays with both parents.

I don’t know about mentioning her. To do so would have invited public and media discussion, which would have only served to take attention away from the event itself.

as for her current position, who knows. She was certainly hugely popular, and had a massive platform for her causes. Who knows how life would have played out,

Please
or

MaryGubbins · 21/09/2022 07:00

“Public” schools are fee paying schools.
William and Harry went to Eton not the local comp.

Please
or

wigywhoo · 21/09/2022 07:00

wherethewildthingis · 21/09/2022 06:59

Not sure if you're in UK, but public school here means private school- the boys went to a fee paying exclusive school. Princess Diana was poorly treated at times but behaved equally badly herself at times. She had many good qualities but many negative qualities too, she was not a paragon of virtue.

This

Please
or

basilmint · 21/09/2022 07:00

She saw the boys often after her divorce although they were away at school. I think she remained their primary carer.

Would have been inappropriate and unnecessary to mention her at this point. She died 25 years ago.

Her brother is Earl Spencer and she is buried on an island in the middle of his estate. He was the Queen's godson and was at the service at Windsor Castle on Monday.

Please
or

KimberleyClark · 21/09/2022 07:00

On her family estate - Althorp in Northamptonshire. She didn't have a state funeral

She did have a pretty big funeral in Westminster Abbey though. Might as well have been a state funeral.

Please
or

Ydkiml · 21/09/2022 07:01

She was buried at Althorp house on a little small island only accessible by rowing boat . I visited it the day before the anniversary this year. It’s absolutely beautiful . I also met and talked to her brother Earl Spencer who was lovely , he did an amazing speech at her funeral, and clearly misses her a lot . I really wish Diana was still with us here today , she was great .

Please
or

ShinyMe · 21/09/2022 07:01

I don't think she was 'adored by all'.
'Public' schools don't mean what you think they do. Yes they went to public school, that doesn't mean a state comprehensive, that means an exclusive private fee paying school. William went to Ludgrove and Eton, I assume Harry did too.

Please
or

SudocremOnEverything · 21/09/2022 07:01

Just FYI public school is not the same as state school. So you might want to reevaluate the ‘one of us’ on that basis. Her children didn’t go to their local comp. Obviously.

Who knew that the death of the queen was going to revive all this crap about Diana? 🥱

Please
or

Shoxfordian · 21/09/2022 07:02

Regarding titles, I expect she’d be Lady Spencer as she was a titled lady anyway before marrying Charles. I don’t think this would change with Charles becoming King although it might when he dies and her son is then King- the King’s Mother maybe?

I don’t think he should have mentioned her in his speech either and I also don’t think she was murdered

Please
or

AdoraLovesCake · 21/09/2022 07:02

KimberleyClark · 21/09/2022 07:00

On her family estate - Althorp in Northamptonshire. She didn't have a state funeral

She did have a pretty big funeral in Westminster Abbey though. Might as well have been a state funeral.

thanks, @KimberleyClark that's what i meant

OP's posts:
Please
or

AdoraLovesCake · 21/09/2022 07:02

Ydkiml · 21/09/2022 07:01

She was buried at Althorp house on a little small island only accessible by rowing boat . I visited it the day before the anniversary this year. It’s absolutely beautiful . I also met and talked to her brother Earl Spencer who was lovely , he did an amazing speech at her funeral, and clearly misses her a lot . I really wish Diana was still with us here today , she was great .

That must have been lovely!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Savingpeoplehuntingthings · 21/09/2022 07:03

She's buried on an island at Althorp.
She saw her kids some of the time, spent plenty time enjoying life without them - as did Charles.
If she was alive now she wouldn't have a specific position, they were divorced.why would Charles mention his ex-wife in his speech, the speech wasn't about his children.

She wasn't universally loved, they both had affairs, it was an arranged marriage, neither were happy both were unfaithful.

I'm old, I remember it, I don't think she was murdered, there would have been much easier ways.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 21/09/2022 07:03

Of course Charles didn't order her murder.

And it's 31st, not 31rd... sorry I couldn't help it.

Please
or

bathsh3ba · 21/09/2022 07:04

I don't think it's anywhere near as black and white as Diana good, Charles bad. She had a lot of mental health issues and she could be manipulative. Rather like her younger son really. I never really warmed to her and I never got the whole people's princess thing, that was a term introduced by Tony Blair after her death. They both had affairs.

In my opinion people love a conspiracy theory but I do not believe her death was anything other than a tragic accident and an avoidable accident at that given she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Please
or

knittingaddict · 21/09/2022 07:05

Oh lovely, another (resurrected) I conspiracy theory.

No I don't think that Charles tried to have Diana killed. I swear some people think we are all living in the plot of a film.

Diana had her flaws, just like the rest of us. Your comment about her not "deserving to die" is very odd. Of course she didn't deserve to die, but then no one had her killed, did they?

Please
or

StatisticallyChallenged · 21/09/2022 07:06

There was a split custody arrangement with the boys - if I recall correctly they'd been on holiday with her shortly before she died then left (possibly early) to spend time with Charles.

As she and Charles were divorced she wouldn't have a position as such.

She got in to a car driven by a drunk driver and didn't wear a seatbelt while the car was driven at high speed (they were being pursued by paparazzi). That's what killed her, nothing to do with brakes.

Diana was quite paranoid - at least in part because of the situation with the BBC Panorama interview where she was told some dreadful lies to lure her in to cooperation. There's a bbc documentary on it , it's probably still on iplayer

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?