Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To let my dd take this to school

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:11

Dd (10) loves stranger things and this w/e bought herself a hellfire club water bottle. She goes to a Christian school. The bottle says hellfire club and has an image of the devils head (as in the programme).

Aibu to let her use this water bottle as her school water bottle?? We are not a religious family and I personally think that this is just something from a tv programme (that is not in anyway about devil worshipping or anything actually related to the devil or religion - under those circumstances I might consider it insulting to Christians), and really is no different to her taking in a water bottle that's Harry Potter themed, or Star Wars etc.

The reason I'm even asking is because a couple of weeks ago dd made up this game where she draws the devil and gives him a 'health bar' like in a video game, and she asks you to think of things that might hurt him (e.g being hit by a car, throwing a spear at him, force feeding him cupcakes, being sat on by a giant panda - I've enjoyed the more inventive funny ones) and the health bar goes down until you kill him.

Just a silly thing she thought of and was doing in her notebook at some point during lunch break. Her teacher 'told her off' (I'm not sure how firmly it was said) and basically said it wasn't appropriate to be drawing a devil at a Christian school. So I'm thinking her teacher might also think it inappropriate to have this water bottle.

I personally don't see anything wrong with her having this water bottle (or the game!) and I'm happy to let her take it in tomorrow. But if her teacher tells her she can't have it then aibu to argue this with the teacher or should I just let it go and tell dd she can't take it in?

(Also apologies I'm using talk app so can't enable voting I don't think)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Runnerbeansflower · 10/07/2022 21:14

Could I ask why your DD is at a religious school if it doesn't fit with your values?

Please
or

dudsville · 10/07/2022 21:16

It seems like a potentially offensive thing to do.

Please
or

Pinkflipflop85 · 10/07/2022 21:16

In our non denominational school this would raise eyebrows.
We've had to have safeguarding chats with parents of children who have been watching stranger things.

Please
or

Sirzy · 10/07/2022 21:18

why would you let her take something in you know would cause issues as it goes against the school values.

this Is a good opportunity to discuss with her the different beliefs others have

Please
or

cheeseisthebest · 10/07/2022 21:18

A 10 year old shouldn't be watching stranger things!

Please
or

12cats · 10/07/2022 21:19

Water bottles are meant to be plain at most schools, so no Harry Potter or Star Wars either.

Please
or

Bussty · 10/07/2022 21:19

Whether you're religious or not isn't really relevant. You're religious enough to send your child to a religious school. If you want to use a religious space you need to be respectful of their beliefs and religion. In the same way that you expect people to respect your values in your home. It's not an appropriate bottle.

Please
or

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:20

@Runnerbeansflower I didn't choose to send her there, I didn't even put it as one of our choices but we got it anyway.

I have generally been happy with the school though, and it's not super strict religious

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bussty · 10/07/2022 21:21

Just seen that DD is 10 - are you on crack!? Why on earth is she watching Stranger Things?!

Please
or

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 10/07/2022 21:21

I think for the sake of good relations I wouldn’t. I can’t believe you let her watch it though tbh, I thought this new series was really scary.

@Runnerbeansflower answering for us and not OP, but our kids go to Christian schools when we are not Christian as there are not any non-denominational schools in the area. What a stupid question.

Please
or

turquoise1988 · 10/07/2022 21:22

Why is she watching Stranger Things? It's rated 15.

You know that there is a strong possibility that the school will have something to say about it.
Do you get a kick out stuff like this? Just please, leave the bottle at home and find something else to do with your time.

Please
or

CoastalWave · 10/07/2022 21:24

My 10 yr old does. He absolutely loves it. I watch the episode first though just to check the content. I have then sat with him whilst he watches it and I fast forward any parts that I deem not appropriate.

He loves the fact it's scary. Totally unbothered by it. He mainly talks about how lovely the friendship groups are and how they all would do anything for their friends. That's the messages he takes from Stranger Things. Not a bad life lesson.

I wouldn't take in a water bottle though. Just asking for a fight!

Please
or

Runnerbeansflower · 10/07/2022 21:25

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 10/07/2022 21:21

I think for the sake of good relations I wouldn’t. I can’t believe you let her watch it though tbh, I thought this new series was really scary.

@Runnerbeansflower answering for us and not OP, but our kids go to Christian schools when we are not Christian as there are not any non-denominational schools in the area. What a stupid question.

Are you in NI? Hardly any of the UK has NO secular schools, so not such an unreasonable question for a UK based forum

Please
or

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:25

I didn't ask whether my dd watching stranger things was appropriate. I'm comfortable with my decision making on that matter as I know my values and I know my dd. So I will, respectfully, be ignoring those types of comments.

OP's posts:
Please
or

oneofusgobble · 10/07/2022 21:26

YABU.

Please
or

N4ish · 10/07/2022 21:27

Are you sure you want school to know your 10 year old is watching a programme rated 15? That would worry me a lot more than any possible offence you could cause with a water bottle!

Please
or

winewolfhowls · 10/07/2022 21:27

Stranger things Is absolutely not suitable for ten year old kids, it's really scary, not just the horror but general adult themes.

Please
or

Runnerbeansflower · 10/07/2022 21:28

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:20

@Runnerbeansflower I didn't choose to send her there, I didn't even put it as one of our choices but we got it anyway.

I have generally been happy with the school though, and it's not super strict religious

Then if they have a problem with it point out that you didn't choose the school and their values, and that you expect them to allow your child to live by your values. If they are unhappy with that then the LA needs to make alternative arrangements, such as accommodating your school preferences.

Please
or

pinkunicorns54 · 10/07/2022 21:28

Whether or not you are happy with your decision for your 10yo to watch stranger things, I wouldn't be sending her in with a water bottle that draws attention to this, as some of the staff and safeguarding leads may not think your decision was appropriate, as it is rated a 15.

Keep it for home and avoid any potential drama

Please
or

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 10/07/2022 21:29

Mine doesn't go to a religious school but I don't think anyone would bat an eye lid at the school he goes to. He does have a stranger things bottle but not the hellfire one

Please
or

WestIsWest · 10/07/2022 21:30

Is it not rated 15?

Please
or

Meredusoleil · 10/07/2022 21:30

N4ish · 10/07/2022 21:27

Are you sure you want school to know your 10 year old is watching a programme rated 15? That would worry me a lot more than any possible offence you could cause with a water bottle!

This.

Please
or

RaggedBlousedPhilanthropist · 10/07/2022 21:31

Ask yourself this.

If you were a non-Muslim at a Muslim school, would you put ham sandwiches or pork cocktail sausages in her packed lunch or give her a water bottle that had an alcohol brand on it?

If yes- then it’s fine.

If no- then it’s not.

Please
or

WestIsWest · 10/07/2022 21:31

Cross posted sorry.

Please
or

MrsRhodes · 10/07/2022 21:31

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with it - it is from a tv program - i havent seen it but assume as kids are watching it then it isnt an inappropriate theme/plot? . We had this at a church of England primary school - my daughter took a book in to read at breaktime (she is autistic and liked to spend breaktime reading). The book was on the Wiccan religion (we encourage an open mind about all religions and they can choose their path when old enough) - She had her book confiscated and I got dragged in and reprimanded by two snotty teachers for allowing inappropriate material to be brought into school. Dickheads. The school was an disaster. Since she left we have been told by many other parents they had a poor experience at this school.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?