Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To let my dd take this to school

204 replies

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:11

Dd (10) loves stranger things and this w/e bought herself a hellfire club water bottle. She goes to a Christian school. The bottle says hellfire club and has an image of the devils head (as in the programme).

Aibu to let her use this water bottle as her school water bottle?? We are not a religious family and I personally think that this is just something from a tv programme (that is not in anyway about devil worshipping or anything actually related to the devil or religion - under those circumstances I might consider it insulting to Christians), and really is no different to her taking in a water bottle that's Harry Potter themed, or Star Wars etc.

The reason I'm even asking is because a couple of weeks ago dd made up this game where she draws the devil and gives him a 'health bar' like in a video game, and she asks you to think of things that might hurt him (e.g being hit by a car, throwing a spear at him, force feeding him cupcakes, being sat on by a giant panda - I've enjoyed the more inventive funny ones) and the health bar goes down until you kill him.

Just a silly thing she thought of and was doing in her notebook at some point during lunch break. Her teacher 'told her off' (I'm not sure how firmly it was said) and basically said it wasn't appropriate to be drawing a devil at a Christian school. So I'm thinking her teacher might also think it inappropriate to have this water bottle.

I personally don't see anything wrong with her having this water bottle (or the game!) and I'm happy to let her take it in tomorrow. But if her teacher tells her she can't have it then aibu to argue this with the teacher or should I just let it go and tell dd she can't take it in?

(Also apologies I'm using talk app so can't enable voting I don't think)

OP posts:
Please
or

Picksomethingatrandom · 10/07/2022 23:01

Age ratings on films etc are a guide only if you are watching at home. They are only legally enforceable for cinemas. In your own home, it is up to you to decide what is appropriate. And a 10 year old watching a 15 rated series is not a safeguarding concern.

Please
or

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 10/07/2022 23:12

Apparently it has a Netflix rating of TV 14.

Personally I like to decide what I'll let my dc watch

Please
or

AllFreeOwls · 10/07/2022 23:18

If it's a religious school this water bottle sounds too potentially provocative to take in. Can she use a plain one for school and have this one for out of school?

Please
or

whataloadabullocks · 10/07/2022 23:21

Without seeing a picture of the water bottle with no doubt a charming image of the horned god, I have no idea. But presumably she has another water bottle so why risk frightening smaller children?
You do realise that Satan isn't just a Christian manifestation of evil right? That Satan originates from Persia and is then later adopted by the Jewish Faith, and so His story continues into the New Testament. So potentially it's not just the Christians in the school, but any Jewish children you might upset. You also realise that most religions have some sort of evil deity right? Fun fact for you the early Muslim portrayal of evil is in Iblis much like the Christen entity, both were said to be fallen angels, thrown from the kingdom of Heaven for wrong doing. In fact if you ever get the chance to study Judaism, Christianity and Islam, it's all fascinating stuff, and I'd highly recommend it. So many religions were scripted to show humans how to lead a good and wise lives, it's a shame we then go on to squabble about them.
Anyway I've digressed so back to your AIBU well yes you would be very U because You understand presumably why it's not so much the devil causes offence but fear.
So some children might find the image frightening and their parents will rightly complain if the image on the water bottle is upsetting their child.

Please
or

ThePumpkinPatch · 10/07/2022 23:26

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:25

I didn't ask whether my dd watching stranger things was appropriate. I'm comfortable with my decision making on that matter as I know my values and I know my dd. So I will, respectfully, be ignoring those types of comments.

You cannot ask a question like this which happens to reference your child watching highly inappropriate & potentially damaging content for their age and not expect comments on it! Come on!

Please
or

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 10/07/2022 23:36

Runnerbeansflower · 10/07/2022 21:25

Are you in NI? Hardly any of the UK has NO secular schools, so not such an unreasonable question for a UK based forum

No, I’m in England in the NW. And I didn’t say there wasn’t any. I said there wasn’t any in the area. It was not possible to either drive them every day or to move house.

Please
or

Antarcticant · 10/07/2022 23:43

They are B.U. The fact your DD is at a Christian school doesn't oblige her to follow a Christian faith - children of that age have no choice about what school they are sent to.

Please
or

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 10/07/2022 23:44

If its the bottle I think it is the school will probably have an attack of the vapours by the sound of them so probably best not to send them

Please
or

Hankunamatata · 10/07/2022 23:50

Ita totally weird toir daughter drawing the devil and making it into a game. Creepy infact. You know a water bottle with devil on it will cause issues.

Please
or

InChocolateWeTrust · 10/07/2022 23:57

My daughter has watched 12s since she was 5, so I would probably allow some 15s by age 10/11

I continue to be gobsmacked by what some parents let young kids watch. There is so much age appropriate stuff out there for young kids, I just do not understand why you would have them watch 12 rated stuff at age 5

Please
or

Marvellousmadness · 10/07/2022 23:59

Yabu. You KNOW it will cause friction. And you are still doing it
Let her use the bottle at home and in the weekend. Send her to school with a normal bottle.

Please
or

AlwaysLatte · 11/07/2022 00:03

I'm not religious but if for whatever reason my child was at a religious school I wouldn't be sending anything in like that. I'd be more concerned about the age and ST. My 14 year old and I have been watching this but not with our 11 year old, who I think is too young (he agrees).

Please
or

nocoolnamesleft · 11/07/2022 00:07

You come across as being deliberately provocative.

Please
or

Pixiedust1234 · 11/07/2022 00:24

She's in primary school. Even if you aren't bothered about her watching inappropriate stuff and let her buy the merchandise, dont forget she will be taking it somewhere that has other young children , some a lot younger than her. Maybe its time to teach her that she needs to consider others around her too.

Totally inappropriate to take to school although most schools insist on a clear water bottle anyway.

Please
or

Hawkins001 · 11/07/2022 01:28

The intrigues of mumsnet, ask specifically about x but also get views on x,y,z too.

That aside, with the waterbottle, yes probably not the wisest choice.
Bit like if you were equipping her with dungeons and dragons books, to read at lunchtime etc, as back in the day, they were thought to lead to devil worshipping.

Please
or

Ponoka7 · 11/07/2022 01:37

Many schools have policies on offensive/inappropriate images. As it's a primary school, the image is inappropriate. It's a good teaching opportunity for your DD.

Please
or

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy · 11/07/2022 01:41

Just be a bit more respectful of other people's values. Let her take a plain water bottle to school that you know won't cause offence (rather than one you know that will). Sounds like you're just trying to stir up shit to be honest.

Please
or

Anxiernie · 11/07/2022 02:35

There is so much age appropriate stuff out there for young kids, I just do not understand why you would have them watch 12 rated stuff at age 5

Marvel superhero films are 12s? some Harry Potter's are 12s fgs! My daughter doesn't scare easily and never has.

Please
or

Anxiernie · 11/07/2022 02:36

the drawing and finding ways to kill it is bizarre.

It's really not. It's just like a video game. It has a health bar, you try and defeat it. Kids have amazing imaginations, of course they can think of fanciful ways to do this.

Please
or

PeanutButterOnToad · 11/07/2022 02:45

Something with a picture of a devil’s head would be viewed as very offensive at the Christian school my kids attended. Why on earth would you do it unless you are trying to thumb your nose?

Please
or

avamiah · 11/07/2022 02:52

My daughter is 12 and in secondary school and she has at least 8 water bottles all different colours and patterns and from Chillys, they are very famous and can be bought online or in John Lewis.
I would highly recommend them.

Please
or

StClare101 · 11/07/2022 03:45

It would be an incredibly stupid thing to do, but on par with letting a ten year old watch Stranger Things so I guess you’ll do it anyway.

I have never heard of government schools not being available, I.e. not having a choice. Weird comment.

Please
or

Onthemaintrunkline · 11/07/2022 04:47

You knew the answer before you posed the question.

Please
or

Nandocushion · 11/07/2022 04:57

100% let her take it in, OP. Stranger Things is about made-up stuff, just like Christianity, so it's perfectly equivalent. But do be prepared for the pearls-clutching brigade and sort out what your response will be.

Please
or

EntertainingandFactual · 11/07/2022 05:07

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:25

I didn't ask whether my dd watching stranger things was appropriate. I'm comfortable with my decision making on that matter as I know my values and I know my dd. So I will, respectfully, be ignoring those types of comments.

No, it’s not appropriate for your DD to take a Stranger things Hellfire bottle into her school. Christian or not.
HTH.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?