Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To let my dd take this to school

204 replies

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:11

Dd (10) loves stranger things and this w/e bought herself a hellfire club water bottle. She goes to a Christian school. The bottle says hellfire club and has an image of the devils head (as in the programme).

Aibu to let her use this water bottle as her school water bottle?? We are not a religious family and I personally think that this is just something from a tv programme (that is not in anyway about devil worshipping or anything actually related to the devil or religion - under those circumstances I might consider it insulting to Christians), and really is no different to her taking in a water bottle that's Harry Potter themed, or Star Wars etc.

The reason I'm even asking is because a couple of weeks ago dd made up this game where she draws the devil and gives him a 'health bar' like in a video game, and she asks you to think of things that might hurt him (e.g being hit by a car, throwing a spear at him, force feeding him cupcakes, being sat on by a giant panda - I've enjoyed the more inventive funny ones) and the health bar goes down until you kill him.

Just a silly thing she thought of and was doing in her notebook at some point during lunch break. Her teacher 'told her off' (I'm not sure how firmly it was said) and basically said it wasn't appropriate to be drawing a devil at a Christian school. So I'm thinking her teacher might also think it inappropriate to have this water bottle.

I personally don't see anything wrong with her having this water bottle (or the game!) and I'm happy to let her take it in tomorrow. But if her teacher tells her she can't have it then aibu to argue this with the teacher or should I just let it go and tell dd she can't take it in?

(Also apologies I'm using talk app so can't enable voting I don't think)

OP posts:
Please
or

SpiderinaWingMirror · 10/07/2022 21:56

I wouldn't because it is not respectful to the school.
Dd3 went a Christian school for years 5 and 6 cos we moved and its the only one in town. We are atheist but we made sure she understood about respecting other people's religious beliefs.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 10/07/2022 22:03

No, it’s a Christian school, presumably some of the kids are Christian and thus it is disrespectful to make light of the topic.

You are being a bit teenage Op..

Please
or

lunar1 · 10/07/2022 22:04

I can't imagine letting my ten year old watch it. Have you seen the season 4 murders, I'd have had nightmares for years if I'd watched that at 10!

Please
or

00100001 · 10/07/2022 22:07

the drawing and finding ways to kill it is bizarre...

Please
or

TheFoodtheFadandtheFugly · 10/07/2022 22:08

Stranger Things is rated 15 in the UK, so why would you be letting a 10 year old have that to take into a primary school?

Please
or

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 22:11

I'm not sure what about my post implies I'm attention seeking or egging her on..?

I didn't buy her the water bottle and say 'ooh take this into school and see what they say'. She saw it, wanted it and bought it with her own money. And then she said to me about whether her teacher would have an issue with it because of the game thing. And I've been wondering about that and thought I'd ask opinions on here.

OP posts:
Please
or

gogohmm · 10/07/2022 22:13

Stranger things is not suitable for 10 year olds! That's the problem.

Please
or

Testina · 10/07/2022 22:15

“And I've been wondering about that and thought I'd ask opinions on here.“

But what’s the point? How do we know what her teacher will think? You’ve got a teacher who already asked her not to draw devils. You think the bottle might look like a devil to that teacher. So just ask that teacher!

Then fine, come back and post an “AIBU to be outraged at this?” post. But right now, you just sound like you’re trying to be edgy with your devil in a Christian school… and it’s just sounds silly. Just ask her teacher tomorrow.

Please
or

Jalisco · 10/07/2022 22:15

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:25

I didn't ask whether my dd watching stranger things was appropriate. I'm comfortable with my decision making on that matter as I know my values and I know my dd. So I will, respectfully, be ignoring those types of comments.

So basically, your (questionable) values matter, but the values of those at the school don't?

Please
or

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 22:16

I suppose, as I said in op, that because the bottle is based on a dungeons and dragons club in a programme, and not a devil worshipping cult or such like, that it shouldn't be offensive to a Christian 🤷‍♀️ of course that's my perspective, so asking here was to hear other peoples because I'm of course aware that my perspective is not the only one that matters in the world.

OP posts:
Please
or

RaleighDurham · 10/07/2022 22:17

"And then she said to me about whether her teacher would have an issue with it because of the game thing. And I've been wondering about that and thought I'd ask opinions on here."

Quite likely, yes, her teacher and the school might have an issue with it, so just leave it at home.

Please
or

RightOnTheEdge · 10/07/2022 22:28

My dc watch Stranger Things and they are 9 and 11. All their friends watch it and so have all my friend's kids. So I really don't think it's that shocking that the OPs dd watches it.
My 11 Yr old said her teacher loves it and the class talks about it with her all the time.
We went to the school summer fayre on Friday and one of the stalls was selling Stranger Things t shirts and Hellfire mugs. One of the girls in yr4 was running around in a T-shirt.
I think from the sound of it OP your dd's school would find it inappropriate though.

The drawing of the devil with health bars thing is from Tik Tok my son did it the other day but with a dragon not a devil. He was asking me and his sister who he should draw fighting it. My dd said it's what everyone is doing on Tik Tok.

Please
or

Seashor · 10/07/2022 22:29

And this normal parents, is the type of nonsense schools have to battle stupid parents with every day!

Please
or

GroggyLegs · 10/07/2022 22:30

'But its based on a dungeons and dragons club in an adult programme and the big devil on the side is not actually about devil worship' is unlikely to be a winning argument in a CoE school who didn't like her devil doodles in a notebook.

imo.

Please
or

00100001 · 10/07/2022 22:32

TheFoodtheFadandtheFugly · 10/07/2022 22:08

Stranger Things is rated 15 in the UK, so why would you be letting a 10 year old have that to take into a primary school?

Same reason people let their 10yo play Call of Duty or Fortnite.

Please
or

GoWokeGoBroke17 · 10/07/2022 22:34

Why do so many on here think it is acceptable to judge someone’s parenting to such a point that they would report them to safeguarding for what they deem suitable for their own children to watch?

No one knows my children like I know them. As their parents, their father and I alone are the only people that would ever have an opinion or say on what our children are exposed to.

We have allowed our children to watch things rated above their ages, yet we have also not allowed them to watch things that are deemed “age appropriate “ Again-we are the ONLY people who can make these judgements.

How full of your own self-importance must you be to think otherwise? Absolutely ridiculous.

Please
or

Bikeybikeface · 10/07/2022 22:35

It’s tickling me at the thought of it being a safeguarding issue 😂
Its a scary series, not a snuff film. I would actually love to see the reactions of safeguarding staff having hundreds of reports of children watching a series which is “ a bit scary for them”.

Please
or

ladydimitrescu · 10/07/2022 22:36

Season 4 of stranger things is really creepy and gory/violent.
It's mental letting a 10yo watch it!

Please
or

ladydimitrescu · 10/07/2022 22:37

But each to their own -
No, I wouldn't be sending that. It's not worth the trouble. 6 weeks holiday is coming and she can use it as much as she wants then.

Please
or

NeedAHoliday2021 · 10/07/2022 22:40

Not only have you let your 10yo watch stranger things, you want to advertise this to her teachers with an inappropriate water bottle?

I’m pretty chilled about my 10yos watching a 12A! Dd1 loves stranger things but she’s 14. Why can’t kids just be kids? I’d not let my 10yos and many others wouldn’t either. Doesn’t sound like you care what others think so crack on.

Please
or

latetothefisting · 10/07/2022 22:44

I mean personally I think the devil is more appropriate at a Christian school than elsewhere!

Would be interested in where you live though op as to have no non-denominational schools is very unusual in the uk.

Ultimately are there are advantages at all to your dd from bringing the bottle to school that she wouldn't from using her normal bottle (e.g quench her thirst) - can't really think of anything. Whereas there are quite a few possible disadvantages as pps have outlined. So why bother riskibg the hassle? Sell it to her as not wanting to the possibility of losing/breaking her brand new bottle if that's easier as that's probably more likely to happen at school than at home.

Please
or

SpiderinaWingMirror · 10/07/2022 22:45

Yes, they would/should have an issue with it.
If you would go out of your way to avoid causing offence to those who follow a religion, which you should, do the same for the Christian faith

Please
or

NotARealMeltDown · 10/07/2022 22:46

I think you should take your dd out of this school as the school's values and yours don't align.

It's better if your dd goes to a school where she can take water bottles of her favourite characters without having to worry about it. You do you!

Please
or

NotARealMeltDown · 10/07/2022 22:52

ladydimitrescu · 10/07/2022 22:36

Season 4 of stranger things is really creepy and gory/violent.
It's mental letting a 10yo watch it!

I saw two mums pushing prams with babies that were about 1 year old yesterday. Both babies were holding phones in their little hands watching nursery videos while their mums wheeled them around in their push chairs. I suppose letting 10 year olds watch season 4 of stranger things is the natural progression for dc whose developing sense have been overwhelmed with crappy YouTube videos since the cradle. The reward system in their brain is screaming out for thrills.

Please
or

Needmorelego · 10/07/2022 22:54

Why are people saying Stranger Things is a '15' ? TV programmes in the UK don't have age ratings - although some channels/platforms may give a guidance rating. But that's it - just guidance. It's not a legal rating.
If it's released on DVD it would have to be given an age rating but it hasn't been released in the UK on DVD.
(I haven't watched it so can't comment on it)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?