Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To let my dd take this to school

204 replies

flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees · 10/07/2022 21:11

Dd (10) loves stranger things and this w/e bought herself a hellfire club water bottle. She goes to a Christian school. The bottle says hellfire club and has an image of the devils head (as in the programme).

Aibu to let her use this water bottle as her school water bottle?? We are not a religious family and I personally think that this is just something from a tv programme (that is not in anyway about devil worshipping or anything actually related to the devil or religion - under those circumstances I might consider it insulting to Christians), and really is no different to her taking in a water bottle that's Harry Potter themed, or Star Wars etc.

The reason I'm even asking is because a couple of weeks ago dd made up this game where she draws the devil and gives him a 'health bar' like in a video game, and she asks you to think of things that might hurt him (e.g being hit by a car, throwing a spear at him, force feeding him cupcakes, being sat on by a giant panda - I've enjoyed the more inventive funny ones) and the health bar goes down until you kill him.

Just a silly thing she thought of and was doing in her notebook at some point during lunch break. Her teacher 'told her off' (I'm not sure how firmly it was said) and basically said it wasn't appropriate to be drawing a devil at a Christian school. So I'm thinking her teacher might also think it inappropriate to have this water bottle.

I personally don't see anything wrong with her having this water bottle (or the game!) and I'm happy to let her take it in tomorrow. But if her teacher tells her she can't have it then aibu to argue this with the teacher or should I just let it go and tell dd she can't take it in?

(Also apologies I'm using talk app so can't enable voting I don't think)

OP posts:
Please
or

WifeMotherWorkRepeat · 11/07/2022 21:07

@ThanksItHasPockets I was just going to write and suggest the OP to watch Series 4 Episode 1! I’ve just literally just watched it and thought allowing a 10 year old to watch Stranger Things Series 1 - 3 was bad. Jesus!!

Please
or

Summerwhereareyou · 11/07/2022 21:17

Op it's not the hell fire club or drawings the devil per se the school should care about.

.it's a 10 year old processing all this and getting into it so much she's drawing all this.

It's nothing to do with religion at all

I have not always struck to age ratings and I allowed my 13/ 14 watch it. I am comfortable with thst because shencsn emotionally cope with it.
It really doesn't sound like yours is!

Please
or

RealityTV · 23/08/2022 09:20

@flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees, why did you send your daughter to a Christian school if you aren't religious? You know this is going to be provocative. You seem to be looking for a fight. Why is your kid watching Stranger Things? That's inappropriate.

Please
or

00100001 · 23/08/2022 17:49

RealityTV · 23/08/2022 09:20

@flightofthesevenmillionbumblebees, why did you send your daughter to a Christian school if you aren't religious? You know this is going to be provocative. You seem to be looking for a fight. Why is your kid watching Stranger Things? That's inappropriate.

Some people don't have a choice.

My niece is only in the catchment for a CofE school that has vicar visits every week, all events seem to be at the church etc.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?