Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To feel somewhat upset with this Valentine's card from my husband?

Boysgrownbutstillathome · 14/02/2021 13:10

My husband is a typical last-minute card and present-buyer, but this really takes the biscuit. His excuses - it was the last one left in Tesco Express, Asda was too busy and he had forgotten his glasses. Excuse for not buying one earlier - he is recovering from his Covid jab ( he had it on Thursday). Excuse for not buying one before then - none.

To feel somewhat upset with this Valentine's card from my husband?
OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Sweetmotherofallthatisholyabov · 14/02/2021 13:48

I did this so many times, not as obvious though. Gorgeous Fiancée instead of fiancé, or Great Granddad.... instead of just Grandad (but he is a great/fantastic grandad) I got mom "someone special to me" on Mother's Day- it was a gorgeous pic. Also got her a funny one once but opened it at home and it said from your son- in retrospect it was sexist rather than just funny (where would I be without you mum... ie sons are incompetent)

Please
or

NewYearNewTwatName · 14/02/2021 13:49

Well I'd have found it funny, and taken the piss. Grin

DS2 (deliberately) bought a "you're like a father to me" card last Father's Day Grin
it's just our families sense of humour.

Please
or

garlicwhorl · 14/02/2021 13:49

I’d just find that funny!

Please
or

UntamedWisteria · 14/02/2021 13:50

It's sweet!

And as a PP clearly felt the need to explain the difference between fiancé and fiancée it's entirely possible he didn't realise his mis-gendering!

(I got my DH a card and bar of chocolate. Nothing back, but that's fine - we haven't exactly been out and about a lot, and we don't need empty gestures to know how we feel about each other.)

Please
or

ancientgran · 14/02/2021 13:50

@ChocOrange1

Lol yeah that's pretty crap but I would probably just laugh and take the mickey for at least the next year, and expect him to pay for a takeaway tonight. I personally wouldnt get really cross, but it depends on your relationship and how seriously you take valentines day. Did you get him a card and present?

Year? My son once sent me a Mother's Day card which said, "For someone who has been like a mother to me" 20 years later he still hasn't lived it down. His excuse was it does say mother.
Please
or

Potterythrowdown · 14/02/2021 13:50

I'd think it was funny and would make a note to find the worst possible card next year.

Please
or

Trinacham · 14/02/2021 13:51

@Happycat1212

Trinacham

I don’t really get why people are saying he couldn’t win, he could win by not leaving it to the last minute that it was the only card in the shop and then he just shouldn’t have bought it. When it came to Xmas I needed to get my dad a card but in the shop the only cards were “to mum and dad on Xmas” (parents aren’t together) I didn’t buy it and cross out mum Hmm You wouldn’t do it to anyone else so why is doing it to your wife ok. Some odd responses

Yep. We got our cards online. You don't even have to leave your home!!
Please
or

daisyjgrey · 14/02/2021 13:52

Unless they've been completely incapacitated in hospital or something there really isn't an excuse. It's the same date every damn year, this is what iCal reminders are for. Moonpig even email you to remind you.

This half arsed bollocks is very annoying.

Please
or

toocold54 · 14/02/2021 13:52

I'd think it was funny and would make a note to find the worst possible card next year.

Grin
Great idea!

I think there is way too much pressure on Valentine’s Day so you could start a new tradition to get each other the worst cards Grin

Please
or

Littlefluffyclouds13 · 14/02/2021 13:53

Omg I'd bloody love that, it's hilarious and at least he tried post having covid.
I'd see the funny side and have a good laugh with dh about it Grin

Please
or

Thewinterofdiscontent · 14/02/2021 13:55

Hasn’t the card got two “ee’s” or I am reading it wrong? Wouldn’t that make it handsome female?

Please
or

Eckhart · 14/02/2021 13:56

@Skyliner001

Handsome woman was a flattering comment in the 1700s...

It says 'Fiance', not 'fiancee'.
Please
or

fassbendersmistress · 14/02/2021 13:57

YABU because V Day is a pile of codswallop

Please
or

peboh · 14/02/2021 13:57

I'd just laugh. Not worth getting upset over a card. Were in the middle of a pandemic, at least he bought you one 🤣

Please
or

Shoppingwithmother · 14/02/2021 13:59

It’s got one “e” but it doesn’t matter how fiancé is spelled- they are married!

Please
or

Boysgrownbutstillathome · 14/02/2021 13:59

@Thewinterofdiscontent

Hasn’t the card got two “ee’s” or I am reading it wrong? Wouldn’t that make it handsome female?

No, just the one "e"
OP's posts:
Please
or

Pollypudding · 14/02/2021 13:59

Just add an “e” - job done! You’re welcome!

Please
or

Shoppingwithmother · 14/02/2021 14:00

She’s his wife though!!

Please
or

Spottybluepyjamas · 14/02/2021 14:01

Hahaha I'd think that was hilarious! Definitely one to not take too seriously, and have a laugh about 😊

Please
or

Pollypudding · 14/02/2021 14:01

@Shoppingwithmother

She’s his wife though!!

Whoops- was laughing too hard to notice that!
Please
or

Eckhart · 14/02/2021 14:01

@Shoppingwithmother

She’s his wife though!!

It's just so wrong.
Please
or

TinyCake · 14/02/2021 14:01

@Happycat1212 my apologies, I had a knee-jerk reaction there (personal stuff). Anyway. My brother wouldn't get upset if I got him a sister card by accident. He'd like that I'd remembered.

Please
or

givemesteel · 14/02/2021 14:02

Oh come on OP, lighten up. It's funny.

Please
or

NotJackieWeaver · 14/02/2021 14:03

Are you a financier? He might have misread it.....

Please
or

AnakreonsGrab · 14/02/2021 14:03

I think it's brilliant. I'd love it if my DP did that. As it happens, he didn't give me a card "because the card shops are shut". Fortunately M&S is a flower shop, according to his logic.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.