Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To feel somewhat upset with this Valentine's card from my husband?

Boysgrownbutstillathome · 14/02/2021 13:10

My husband is a typical last-minute card and present-buyer, but this really takes the biscuit. His excuses - it was the last one left in Tesco Express, Asda was too busy and he had forgotten his glasses. Excuse for not buying one earlier - he is recovering from his Covid jab ( he had it on Thursday). Excuse for not buying one before then - none.

To feel somewhat upset with this Valentine's card from my husband?
OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

JovialNickname · 14/02/2021 13:26

Also, for those that haven't picked up on it (and I only know this because I used to work in a card shop!) fiancé is male, fiancée is female. So he's calling her a man as well.

Please
or

TheYearOfSmallThings · 14/02/2021 13:26

GrinGrinGrin

I'd be a bit cross, but also laughing. I hope he didn't drive to the shops.

Please
or

reader12 · 14/02/2021 13:26

Thank you for the belly laugh!!! He would have been better buying any old plain card and writing something nice inside! That’s funny as hell but I’d be pissed off too and would take the mickey relentlessly until he got me something nice.

Please
or

Toddlerteaplease · 14/02/2021 13:27

One of my colleagues husbands signed her card with
'Best wishes from x'
She's never let him live it down.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 14/02/2021 13:27

Last year I got my husband a valentine’s card with lots of the usual hearts and it was actually a birthday card. So yabu! Mistakes like this can definitely happen. Luckily he saw the funny side.

Please
or

Boysgrownbutstillathome · 14/02/2021 13:28

@ChocOrange1

Lol yeah that's pretty crap but I would probably just laugh and take the mickey for at least the next year, and expect him to pay for a takeaway tonight. I personally wouldnt get really cross, but it depends on your relationship and how seriously you take valentines day. Did you get him a card and present?

Yes, a card and some nice choccies. He bought me choccies too.
OP's posts:
Please
or

TinyCake · 14/02/2021 13:28

@Happycat1212

If it was the last one then why would he even bother buying it?!

So OP wouldn't get upset at him not buying a card. He couldn't win.
Please
or

winniesanderson · 14/02/2021 13:28

I'd find it hilarious. But I don't tend to like a lot of fuss anyway and also because it's happened to me a few years back when I bought my 3 year old a 'special first Christmas' card. But if it's part of a pattern where there's not a lot of effort being made I can see why that might not be so funny.

Please
or

shakeitoffshakeacocktail · 14/02/2021 13:28

Use it to get him to do a nice thing/ chore for you!

Men!

Please
or

Trinacham · 14/02/2021 13:29

Yeah that's pretty bad. YANBU. My husband got me a wife card and it has cats on.. so he made an effort to get me one I would appreciate and that suits!
I'd be annoyed to get that. Rather not get one and him just get flowers, rather than one that is for the complete opposite recipient!

Please
or

SionnachRua · 14/02/2021 13:29

Honestly I'd be treasuring this card over any other Valentine's card he's given. At least it's funny, right?

Please
or

Happycat1212 · 14/02/2021 13:30

TinyCake

I would rather not have one! You wouldn’t buy your mum a birthday card saying to dad, because there was no mum ones surely?! You just wouldn’t buy one Confused

Please
or

thepeopleversuswork · 14/02/2021 13:30

I mean yes its naff and off. But this is why I hate valentine's day and never bother with it tbh. It's so forced and artificial.

You're having to mark something which should be permanent and ongoing with a completely arbitrary festival which requires you to spend money on buying things which don't come naturally. It's more or less designed to make everyone feel maximally shit.

Please
or

DavidsSchitt · 14/02/2021 13:30

😂😂

Please
or

ILoveShula · 14/02/2021 13:30

Either his eyesight is going or he's getting a bit muddled.

I'm sure he loves you really.

Please
or

Hahaha88 · 14/02/2021 13:32

Honestly it would make me laugh.

Please
or

Shoppingwithmother · 14/02/2021 13:32

I would find that really funny and it would make me laugh. I couldn’t give a toss about Valentines Day though. At least he got something.
I recently repurposed an age 7 card for a 79 year old, taking a lot of trouble to produce a matching number 9 to stick on.
I remember when I was a child, my uncle gave me and my sister a Christmas card which had printed on it “To a Special Couple” on which he wrote “of Nieces” in biro. That made me laugh too!

Please
or

Trinacham · 14/02/2021 13:32

@Happycat1212

TinyCake

I would rather not have one! You wouldn’t buy your mum a birthday card saying to dad, because there was no mum ones surely?! You just wouldn’t buy one Confused

Exactly! I can't speak for all women but I certainly rather not get a card and him get flowers instead, if the only card they had was aimed at a man, and for a fiance!
Please
or

DookaDakkaDikku · 14/02/2021 13:32

I think it's a laugh. I'd be bringing up what a handsome chap I am at every opportunity Grin

Please
or

dontdisturbmenow · 14/02/2021 13:33

I'd find it hilarious
So would I! At least one I would keep for memories and laughter in many more years.

Honestly, why such seriousness over a commercial date? Having a sense of humour on such days will make life so much easier.

Please
or

Skyliner001 · 14/02/2021 13:33

Handsome woman was a flattering comment in the 1700s...

Please
or

Boysgrownbutstillathome · 14/02/2021 13:33

@CoronaIsWatching

YABU to still bother with valentines when you're married and presumably been together many years.

We will have been married 28 years in April. We don't do much, just cards and chocolates.
OP's posts:
Please
or

peak2021 · 14/02/2021 13:34

St Valentine's Day was established as being on February 14 in AD496. So your DH has had over 1500 years warning of the date and presumably a few days warning of his Covid first vaccine, so no excuses for not having bought an appropriate card in good time.

Please
or

DustyMaiden · 14/02/2021 13:34

If he was wearing a mask and glasses then I understand completely.

Please
or

TinyCake · 14/02/2021 13:35

@Happycat1212

TinyCake

Leave my mum out of this please.

It depends how upset OP would have been at not having a card vs this wrong card.

She got chocolates anyway so yeah I probably would have not got a card but if OP is this upset at getting the wrong card maybe she would have been even more upset at getting no card.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.