Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To feel somewhat upset with this Valentine's card from my husband?

Boysgrownbutstillathome · 14/02/2021 13:10

My husband is a typical last-minute card and present-buyer, but this really takes the biscuit. His excuses - it was the last one left in Tesco Express, Asda was too busy and he had forgotten his glasses. Excuse for not buying one earlier - he is recovering from his Covid jab ( he had it on Thursday). Excuse for not buying one before then - none.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Spoonofnutella · 14/02/2021 14:03

Haha I'd think it was quite funny personally, but then I dont consider a valentines card as being a measure of our relationship or how much he values me. If it has upset you OP then maybe it's because you're feeling undervalued in day to day life and need these kind of gestures to make you feel lifted up?

Please
or

HangOnToYourself · 14/02/2021 14:04

I think valentine's day is pretty silly anyway so I think I'd just find it hilarious tbh

Please
or

Toilenstripes · 14/02/2021 14:05

Use it against him to get an excellent Christmas gift?

Please
or

ShimmyShimmyYa · 14/02/2021 14:05

i'm certain that the extravagance of gifts and cards between a couple is inversely proportional to the success of the relationship (i have to tell myself this!)
so, you've got a keeper- for sure

Please
or

AIMD · 14/02/2021 14:05

Me and husband bought each mother card but neither bothered writing them. Neither of us are particularly bothered by valentines or presents though. Also we have been so busy with work, home school and doing up our bedroom it was a thought neither of us had space for.

However if he knows these things are important to you he should probably make more effort.

Please
or

stampsurprise · 14/02/2021 14:05

Get him the girliest card you can find for his birthday Grin

Please
or

warmeduppizza · 14/02/2021 14:07

Look, mine got me a ‘congrats on the birth of your baby girl’ because it was the only one left with a pink heart on it.
I can’t have children.

Please
or

Mara2021 · 14/02/2021 14:08

I'm sorry, I just think that's really funny. I'd be demanding chocolate for at least six months to make up for it!

Mind you, I grew up with parents who regularly forgot our birthdays (even the big ones weren't a big deal to them - for my 18th I got £5 and a theatre ticket) so that has possibly coloured my view of life a little. Thankfully I now live with a lovely partner and we're always buying each other little surprises or doing little nice things for each other, though we didn't buy Valentine's cards. (There may have been chocolate.)

Please
or

missrm · 14/02/2021 14:09

😂 bless.

I'd find that hilarious. I was sent a screen shot of my card from the website as it hasn't arrived. It's the thought that counts isn't it.

X

Please
or

stampsurprise · 14/02/2021 14:09

When I was 10 I was sent to the shop for a birthday card for my little brother.

I found a lovely one with a ship on it. Proudly returned with it only for Mum to burst out laughing as it said “Bon Voyage!”

It became a family joke 😂

Please
or

hannayeah · 14/02/2021 14:09

Laughing so hard that my dog took notice.

Please
or

Homebuddy · 14/02/2021 14:10

That is funny sorry! 😂🙊. But jokes aside, that is pretty sad but I can vouch that last night, the vday card aisle was pretty poor in options and as not many shops are open you can’t go shopping around for decent vday cards and gifts. So I would excuse him this year!

Please
or

stampsurprise · 14/02/2021 14:10

@missrm

😂 bless.

I'd find that hilarious. I was sent a screen shot of my card from the website as it hasn't arrived. It's the thought that counts isn't it.

X

😂😂😂😂😂😂

HAPPY VALENTINE’s DAY!
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Please
or

TinyCake · 14/02/2021 14:10

@warmeduppizza

Look, mine got me a ‘congrats on the birth of your baby girl’ because it was the only one left with a pink heart on it.
I can’t have children.

Now in this case I'd say no card would have been better.
Please
or

DaphneDuBois · 14/02/2021 14:10

YANBU at all. However, it really did make me laugh out loud so maybe you’ll see the funny side in a while

Please
or

Tal45 · 14/02/2021 14:13

According to a google search;
Handsome and pretty are two different types of human attractiveness, with handsome being more rugged and angular, and pretty being softer and more delicate.
Are you rugged and angular OP? Maybe hubby thought it said 'handsome filly' :-D

Please
or

WaltzesWithSnobs · 14/02/2021 14:13

A few years back DH got me a Valentine's card that said 'to my husband' Grin He said he didn't notice.

Please
or

hansgrueber · 14/02/2021 14:18

@BlackCatShadow

My mum was struggling to get a card for my daughter's birthday, so ended up getting a card with "Happy Birthday Grandson" on it. She had then crossed out son with a marker and written daughter. It was quite funny!

On one occasion I bought a card for Great Grandaughter, it was only when OH pointed out that she wasn't a Great Grandaughter, she was a Grandaughter. I simply thought of it a a great person!!!
Please
or

mumsiedarlingrevolta · 14/02/2021 14:20

Here’s the one I bought my DH

Please
or

BalladOfBarryAndFreda · 14/02/2021 14:22

He’s seen a teddy bear and a heart and hasn’t paid any attention to the rest of it, hasn’t he? Silly sod.

I’d find it funny but we don’t bother with Valentine’s Day. If you do and he knows it’s something you care about, then YABU to be miffed about it. However, if this is a first offence and he’s usually pretty good, I’d be tempted to cut him some slack in light of lockdown and pandemic stress. None of us are performing optimally. Flowers

Please
or

JesusInTheCabbageVan · 14/02/2021 14:24

I love it Grin

Early on in our relationship, DH contemplated buying me a card that played a tacky recorded 'I love you' message when opened. Except so many people had opened the card and then put it back in horror that the battery had run down, and instead it said, "Aaaaaaiiiii LUUUUUUUURRRVE yuuuuuurrrrrghhh-h-h-" in a kind of Chucky's last gasp voice. Never forgiven him for not buying it.

Please
or

orangenasturtium · 14/02/2021 14:29

It could be worse.

I had a cheating, lying ex who tried to win me back on Valentine's day with flowers, chocolates and a card filled with a long essay pleading with me to forgive him, declaring me his soulmate and he mine.

It was one of those cards with a vintage photo with a personalised caption. It read:

"On Valentine's Day, on all orangenasturtium wanted to hear was three word - I love you. All cheating ex wanted to hear was the sound of his balls slapping against orangenasturtium's arse."

To be fair, I would have quite enjoyed hearing his balls being slapped very hard so he almost got it right.

Please
or

fairydustandpixies · 14/02/2021 14:29

My dad once got my mum a Christmas card saying 'happy Christmas dear sister' 🤣 But hey, it's the thought that counts?!

Please
or

MissingLinker · 14/02/2021 14:30

So long as it's addressed to you it's unlikely that there's a handsome, and rather confused, young man somewhere opening a "to my beautiful wife" card. Because that could be quite difficult.

Please
or

Boysgrownbutstillathome · 14/02/2021 14:31

@Spoonofnutella

Haha I'd think it was quite funny personally, but then I dont consider a valentines card as being a measure of our relationship or how much he values me. If it has upset you OP then maybe it's because you're feeling undervalued in day to day life and need these kind of gestures to make you feel lifted up?

How very astute of you!
OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.