Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To feel somewhat upset with this Valentine's card from my husband?

Boysgrownbutstillathome · 14/02/2021 13:10

My husband is a typical last-minute card and present-buyer, but this really takes the biscuit. His excuses - it was the last one left in Tesco Express, Asda was too busy and he had forgotten his glasses. Excuse for not buying one earlier - he is recovering from his Covid jab ( he had it on Thursday). Excuse for not buying one before then - none.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

MissMarpleDarling · 14/02/2021 14:33

Atleadtyou got one 😂 I got nothing. Because apparently I'm not soppy like that. Which I'm not but still.

Please
or

MissMarpleDarling · 14/02/2021 14:33

Atleast you*

Please
or

ConsuelaHammock · 14/02/2021 14:33

Is the message inside the card heartfelt ?

Please
or

oakleaffy · 14/02/2021 14:35

That’s hilarious 😂
I’d love it.. at least he bothered!

Please
or

Bloodybridget · 14/02/2021 14:36

You did slightly better than the bloke whose wife posted on MN, she'd ordered a Valentine card from Sainsbury's but they'd substituted a roll of kitchen foil! (sorry for TATT)

Please
or

hansgrueber · 14/02/2021 14:36

@NewYearNewTwatName

Well I'd have found it funny, and taken the piss. Grin

DS2 (deliberately) bought a "you're like a father to me" card last Father's Day Grin
it's just our families sense of humour.

I sent our daughter one like that at CHristmas, You're like a daughter to me! Never been allowed to forget it, I really should take more care when buying cards.
Please
or

Pansypotter123 · 14/02/2021 14:36

Are you Dominic Cumming's wife!? You are, aren't you!! I think he needs another trip to Barnard Castle! 😂

Please
or

Arianrhold · 14/02/2021 14:41

Does he have a secret handsome fiancé and got the cards mixed up? So his boyfriend is currently reading 'to my darling wife on Valentine's day' and wondering if it's a subtle proposal?

Please
or

gottakeeponmovin · 14/02/2021 14:41

That would make me laugh

Please
or

TeenyTinyDustinHoffman · 14/02/2021 14:46

If it's any consolation, I came downstairs to a card on the table with "To my beloved" on it. Which was nice, if surprising, as we don't tend to do anything for Valentine's Day.

It was addressed to the fucking cat.

Please
or

AndThenTheDayBecomesTheNight · 14/02/2021 14:47

This does rather highlight the absurdity of how specific cards are in the UK - the whole 'to my second cousin's best friend's dog on your special day' thing - and how much store is set by them.

We've never done Valentine's (on our first one I was admitted to hospital with dehydration due to a violent gastro bug, so I guess no romantic precedent was ever set) and it seems odd to me to give cards to someone you live with. Your dh's rushing out and buying this one has rather exposed it for the ritual it is, I think. I'd laugh and move on.

Please
or

greenlynx · 14/02/2021 14:48

I would keep it and tease him forever.

My DH went to our local shop, brought me chocolates and flowers. I was a bit surprised that it’s not my favourite roses and asked him why. He said there were no any roses. Actually there were but they moved them and he didn’t notice ( I was in the shop early). He said that his glasses were absolutely steaming, it was the last bouquet on the stand so he took it quickly, found chocolates and went to the self service, which meant he didn’t pass near the roses. I saw them because I took the glasses off and I went through cashiers.

OP, maybe your husband is not so guilty after all. Covid shopping might be quite tricky.

Please
or

IEat · 14/02/2021 14:48

Women were once described as Handsome. Next year her him a card with you’re such a nice man
Men hate nice 🤣

Please
or

Italiangreyhound · 14/02/2021 14:48

YANBU - sorry I didn't read it!!!

Please
or

AbsitivelyPosolutely · 14/02/2021 14:52

I'd have found this hilarious.

Please
or

CallmeNessa · 14/02/2021 14:52

I found this really funny, but that's probably because we don't "do" Valentine's Day!

Please
or

Benjispruce2 · 14/02/2021 14:54

Tell him got future reference:moonpig.com
funkypigeon.com

Please
or

Coconutfatfeast · 14/02/2021 14:55

I would make sure his next birthday card is ‘To a Special Auntie’...

Please
or

ElysiumFeels · 14/02/2021 14:56

😂

Please
or

Hugoslavia · 14/02/2021 14:56

That's brilliant!! I wonder what card you will chose him for his birthday?!

Please
or

tumbleit · 14/02/2021 14:57

Sorry this did make me laugh 🤣. To be fair though I don't think I'd be amused if it was me though!

Please
or

AlmightyBob · 14/02/2021 14:59

Our second Valentine's together, my boyfriend forgot. I had got him a card and some chocolate and he felt awful. We went out to the cinema that night (to watch 'Hannibal' - v romantic) and I had to stand outside a Co-op in the rain while he went in and bought the first card he could find, borrowed a pen from the guy behind the till to write on it. When it opened, it made a comedy lip-smacking sound.

Reader, I married him.

Please
or

AbsitivelyPosolutely · 14/02/2021 15:00

My mum bought me and my husband an anniversary card that said "to my son and daughter-in-law"

She was mortified when she realised. I found it hilarious and refused to take it down.

My brother then sent me a card that said "sister in law" on my birthday...

Please
or

Cocomarine · 14/02/2021 15:00

I would love that JUST for the pisstaking I would do for the next 10 years.

I’d start by putting it on fb and saying I’d discovered it, and I’m scared that he’s gay and considering bigamy.

If my husband got me that through disorganisation and said outright - please don’t read the words, just consider the vibe - then we’d have a laugh about it.

But if he didn’t even realise!!!! 😳

Mind you, I’d divorce the fucker for anything Tatty Teddy.

Please
or

Hugoslavia · 14/02/2021 15:06

Next year OP.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.