Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

"Oh my goodness .... you still have the same bathroom, that's hilarious"

204 replies

BigSandyBalls2015 · 02/11/2018 10:05

AIBU and overly sensitive or is that fecking rude?

For context - this is someone I met at baby groups years ago (our kids are now mid/late teens), lost touch when they started different schools and occasionally bumped into one another out shopping etc. I recently saw her and invited her back for coffee and a catch up at mine, which took place yesterday.

The first thing she said was "oh my goodness ... you still have the same bathroom, that's hilarious" (bathroom by front door). I had forgotten she was such a rude cow .... things have started coming back to me since our coffee ..... I remember sitting in our garden with several baby group mums, kids in paddling pool, all lovely and she came out with the cracker "I so wish I had a tiny garden and house like this, so much easier to maintain".

I remember now why we lost touch.

OP posts:
BigSandyBalls2015 · 02/11/2018 10:06

Just to add ..... we aren't talking about an avocado corner suite, it's a white suite with blue and white tiles, all still looks fresh and nice, just not the modern, dull brown tiles that seems to be in vogue.

Feck it she's still getting to me isn't she Grin

OP posts:
TestingTestingWonTooFree · 02/11/2018 10:07

Yes very rude. Don’t see her again.

Satsumaeater · 02/11/2018 10:08

It's not very eco-friendly to change your bathroom or kitchen every few years anyway. You change things when they wear out (or if you really hate them). But not just because they're a few years old!

drspouse · 02/11/2018 10:08

"Oh I think it's so unnecessary to use extra resources and add extra waste to the planet for no reason, don't you?"

JanetLovesJason · 02/11/2018 10:08

Rude fucker.

BackInRed · 02/11/2018 10:09

Time to start losing touch again.

Theyprobablywill · 02/11/2018 10:11

You should compliment her on her amazing memory (but not her sense of humour).

GoreFanBleed · 02/11/2018 10:13

Ha! She'd love ours, it's a 70s nauseated peach, put in when the house was built. It's a really good solid cast iron bath and would cost more than we could reasonably afford to replace with a white equivalent.

Nuts to her.

MatildaTheCat · 02/11/2018 10:13

‘Why is that hilarious?’

Agree she’s rude and you lost touch for good reason.

KittensAndCake · 02/11/2018 10:13

Oh what a bitch. Obviously insecure. Ignore her.

thecatsthecats · 02/11/2018 10:16

drspouse

I don't think that would penetrate her hide. It wouldn't register as an insult - which is what is required - rather come across as preachy.

I'd either go obsequiously shamefaced.

"Oh god, I know, it's APPALLING. We're so poor. We wish we could have a modern suite. I mean, they are ugly, but it's so important to change it every few years, otherwise you get snotty comments. We're so embarrassed."

Or middle class snobbery...

"Yes, we find the modern styles rather vulgar dear."

pigsDOfly · 02/11/2018 10:16

'Goodness, you're still the same rude cow you always were, age hasn't mellowed you. That's hilarious.' Is what you should have replied.

AlexanderHamilton · 02/11/2018 10:16

Agree, very rude, she obviously has no class.

We've only just replaced the bathroom that was new in our house wehen we moved in 16 years ago because the bath panel had cracked and the toilet cistern was totally scaled up and I work for a plumbing company!

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha · 02/11/2018 10:21

This happened to my dad recently - he ran into a neighbor who moved away from the perfectly nice estate we all lived in back in the 80s. She asked where my parents were living and laughed her head off that they were still living in what she considered a starter home (it is a 4 bed detached house in a good area). My dad has the hide of a rhino, but even he was a bit ruffled by her derision.

OP I think your bathroom sounds nice, don't change it for a fudge coloured one.

toomuchtooold · 02/11/2018 10:25

We have a couple of people like that in the extended family and waiting to see what they will slag off this time is a guilty pleasure of any of their visits. Childish I know, but when you can't avoid them... you can though OP so get rid - only don't be too obvious about it because if she realises you're trying to avoid her your friendship will suddenly become this valuable unattainable prize and she'll stick to you like a bloody limpet.

t00dle00 · 02/11/2018 10:27

"Well we like it"

And leave it at that.

She's rude.

HellonHeels · 02/11/2018 10:28

She's a cow. Dump her. Or ghost?

@GoreFanBleed my pal had a bath like that, she got it re-enameled in white, looked amazing. Not sure on costs though.

DarlingNikita · 02/11/2018 10:31

What a bitch. Definitely don't invite her over again and be cool and distantly polite when you see her.

I like some of the suggested comebacks here, although personally I'd have gone for unwavering eye contact and a frosty silence that she had to be the one to break.

customerservicenightmare · 02/11/2018 10:32

She's insecure and this is how it shows. Why be around her? Where's the fun for you?

Theyprobablywill · 02/11/2018 10:33

Or you could gaslight her and claim you had it done 4 years ago and it used to be pink, she must confusing you with someone else.

InfiniteVariety · 02/11/2018 10:34

A friend asked to stay for 2 nights in July who I had not seen for many years. Within the first half hour I was reminded of all the reasons I had not been sorry to lose touch with her (but still had to get through the weekend....)

And I have a bathroom which still looks great even though we have not changed it since putting it in when we moved here in 1999!

Deliphant · 02/11/2018 10:35

Oh dear - it's one of those situations that by the time you've thought of a good come back - or just the response why wouldn't have the same bathroom - it still works - it's too late.

A house viewer was similarly rude about my bathroom back in the 90s - mind you that was avocado.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

DingDongDenny · 02/11/2018 10:35

I's have just said 'Now I remember why we lost touch'

BarbaraofSevillle · 02/11/2018 10:37

Well our bathroom is almost certainly older than yours. We've lived in this house nearly 13 years and it was nowhere near new then.

It dates from whenever it was fashionable to have a 'dado rail' of patterned tiles round the middle and beigey tiles everywhere else - 1980s/1990s? Probably not long after everyone had coloured suites.

I would like a new one, but it's good quality and still in good condition, plus I can't be arsed with the mess and disruption of having a new one fitted.

I would say attitudes like hers are hilarious, but it's more like tragic, that people are so wasteful, replacing things that are still in good condition, to keep up with trends.

NonaGrey · 02/11/2018 10:38

I hope you didn’t give her the good biscuits.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.