Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I'm a lesbian! AMA

167 replies

Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:30

Partly want to get some representation on here for same sex couples and our experience :)

OP posts:
Neverreturntoathread · 14/04/2022 22:31

Have you ever felt any attraction to a man? Or just never any interest at all?

MorrisZapp · 14/04/2022 22:32

Are you currently in a relationship?

NeverSayNeverAgainMaybe · 14/04/2022 22:33

What do you currently think is the biggest problem lesbians are facing in the UK?

MrsSkylerWhite · 14/04/2022 22:33

Not being arsey, honestly, but why would I need to ask you anything? You’re a person who loves another person. What’s the big deal?

Doyoumind · 14/04/2022 22:34

Hmm I think you'll find there's already representation. Have you fallen for the bullshit that's spread about MN on social media and suchlike?

Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:35

@Neverreturntoathread

Have you ever felt any attraction to a man? Or just never any interest at all?

The answer to this is slightly complex but basically when I was younger I'd think I was attracted to men because a) my friends were and b) I can recognise a man is attractive objectively like if I see them on TV or from a distance (and crucially, clothed). But the couple of dates I've been on with men while at uni I have felt absolutely zilch.
OP posts:
crackingreward · 14/04/2022 22:35

Do you think you are the only one?

Yellownightmare · 14/04/2022 22:36

Do you feel gay men get more support/acceptance than gay women?

Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:36

@MrsSkylerWhite

Not being arsey, honestly, but why would I need to ask you anything? You’re a person who loves another person. What’s the big deal?

You'd be surprised what I get asked/what gets said to me regularly in the workplace etc. I'm with you on this one but people are clueless.
OP posts:
VyeBrator · 14/04/2022 22:36

Erm...all I can think to ask is why the exclamation mark in the thread title?

Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:36

@MorrisZapp

Are you currently in a relationship?

I'm married :)
OP posts:
Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:37

@NeverSayNeverAgainMaybe

What do you currently think is the biggest problem lesbians are facing in the UK?

Being erased from mainstream media in favour of the more palatable 'queer woman'
OP posts:
Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:38

@Yellownightmare

Do you feel gay men get more support/acceptance than gay women?

Yes definitely. I am sure everyone has their own theories on why, partly because I think the 'GBF' stereotype is still there which makes people want to accept gay men more because it might benefit them.
OP posts:
NeverSayNeverAgainMaybe · 14/04/2022 22:38

Can you explain the palatable query woman thing? I'm afraid I don't understand and would like to

Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:41

@NeverSayNeverAgainMaybe

Can you explain the palatable query woman thing? I'm afraid I don't understand and would like to

This is obviously just speaking as myself but I feel if a woman likes other women she's 'queer' and a man likes men he's gay. The most recent example is yesterday I was reading about a Pale Waves music video in which the singer (who identifies herself as gay) films with her girlfriend. I saw it described as a 'queer' video and even an 'lgbtq' video. It's a gay/lesbian relationship, so why not call it that. Maybe I'm just a pedant!
OP posts:
RoseslnTheHospital · 14/04/2022 22:41

Are you able to be as open as you'd like to be in public in the UK, where you live or where you visit? Do you get any abuse, and if so, who are the typical perpetrators?

TheChild · 14/04/2022 22:46

How was your experience coming out to your parents/family?

RagzRebooted · 14/04/2022 22:46

Do you get pissed off with the T being added on to LGB? Because transgenderism is not a sexuality, surely it should not be lumped in with actual sexualites.

Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:47

@RoseslnTheHospital

Are you able to be as open as you'd like to be in public in the UK, where you live or where you visit? Do you get any abuse, and if so, who are the typical perpetrators?

I live in a city in the North of England and in some areas it's okay but in others we're harassed, usually by leery middle aged men or glared down by older ladies. It doesn't really bother me anymore though.
OP posts:
TaraRhu · 14/04/2022 22:55

Are gay men more accepted than lesbians because they MEN in a man's world?

Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:58

@TheChild

How was your experience coming out to your parents/family?

I was so lucky - my family honestly couldn't give a toss as long as I'm happy. But it's all luck - my wife was thrown out of the house at 16 and had to live in a hostel.
OP posts:
Namesrus · 14/04/2022 22:59

Do you think lesbians who are not attracted to trans women are homophobic?

Alysskea · 14/04/2022 22:59

@RagzRebooted

Do you get pissed off with the T being added on to LGB? Because transgenderism is not a sexuality, surely it should not be lumped in with actual sexualites.

I can see why it was lumped together in the early days (decades ago) but now I don't really see how they are related
OP posts:
Alysskea · 14/04/2022 23:00

@TaraRhu

Are gay men more accepted than lesbians because they MEN in a man's world?

Yes.
OP posts:
Alysskea · 14/04/2022 23:00

@Namesrus

Do you think lesbians who are not attracted to trans women are homophobic?

Definitely not!
OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.