BBC article about cotton ceiling

(1000 Posts)
GingerAndTheBiscuits Tue 26-Oct-21 09:54:58

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57853385 including Angela Wild, Rose of Dawn and Debbie Hayton. There’s no way this would have been published even just a few months ago 🤯

OP’s posts: |
Chewieboora Tue 26-Oct-21 10:01:55

That Stonewall comment is just absolutely fucked.

bordersroaming Tue 26-Oct-21 10:07:00

It is indeed

Can't read it all at present, was it all about TW wanting sex with W , did transmen feature ?

Novina Tue 26-Oct-21 10:07:44

Really surprised to see this on the front page of bbc news this morning. Things are shifting. Has it been archived?

Theeyeballsinthesky Tue 26-Oct-21 10:09:19

Bloody hell that stonewall statement 😱😱 do they really really not get how that statement looks?

And yes there’s no way the BBC would have published this a year ago

GingerAndTheBiscuits Tue 26-Oct-21 10:11:52

bordersroaming

It is indeed

Can't read it all at present, was it all about TW wanting sex with W , did transmen feature ?

A brief comment from one of those interviewed who said trans men don’t usually want to date gay men so it’s less of an issue. But I think it’s more than that - trans men aren’t usually potentially a physical threat to gay men, so the power imbalance isn’t quite the same between a transwoman and a lesbian.

Clymene Tue 26-Oct-21 10:11:53

Wow. That's quite refreshing

Advertisement

chilling19 Tue 26-Oct-21 10:12:57

Wow - really surprised to see this on the BBC. Very thorough article on the issues.

NecessaryScene Tue 26-Oct-21 10:13:28

Bit of a Ratner moment for Stonewall.

I suspect quite a lot of the public still were believing Stonewall supported homosexuality, until today.

Flammkuchen Tue 26-Oct-21 10:13:44

Wow! There have obviously been a lot of concerned journalists at the BBC who have been prevented from doing their jobs properly until now.

I hope the BBC officially drops Stonewall now.

Franca123 Tue 26-Oct-21 10:16:18

I found that piece really chilling. It made me feel quite emotional. I'm glad these topics are finally being explored by the BBC. I garuntee that no one thinks this is ok.

WinterTrees Tue 26-Oct-21 10:16:34

The change of direction at the moment is really astonishing. Top 10 BBC stories this morning include this one and Dave Chapelle/Netflix. It's like the floodgates have opened and the truth and all the questions and problems and issues people haven't been allowed to voice before are just pouring out. #nodebate is being comprehensively washed away.

AlkasaurusHex Tue 26-Oct-21 10:16:35

Well, that's a bit of an about turn. That article would never have seen the light of day a couple of months ago.

QuentinBunbury Tue 26-Oct-21 10:17:35

Really interesting article, thanks for sharing. I'm glad this is getting some mainstream attention

BatmansBat Tue 26-Oct-21 10:18:07

Wow, quite a step forward that this can be discussed.

I think many people who haven’t seen this debate before are choking on their mid morning coffee at the moment.

bordersroaming Tue 26-Oct-21 10:18:25

It just emphasise the sex difference doesn't it ? It's all one way

If transwomen were women would they really get upset and start insulting people who wouldn't want sex with them ?

Franca123 Tue 26-Oct-21 10:18:34

That Stonewall comment is fucked. They are fucked. No one thinks it's OK to try to reprogramme your sexuality. And why a supposed gay charity is involved in that........

RoyalCorgi Tue 26-Oct-21 10:19:02

What a fantastic article. Really thorough and well-researched.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Tue 26-Oct-21 10:19:34

It’s incel behaviour, just wrapped up in different packaging.

Whatwouldscullydo Tue 26-Oct-21 10:19:55

I had to check several times it was actually a BBC article.

Very happy to finally see this out there though.

Eagerly awaiting apologies from all those who have claimed it doesn't happen....

NutellaEllaElla Tue 26-Oct-21 10:21:33

Amazing, they've FINALLY twigged. Talk about missing the band wagon though. I wonder if the Nolan podcast has helped free up the discourse at the BBC?

NotBadConsidering Tue 26-Oct-21 10:22:25

It’s a brilliant article but I had to really seek it out from the News homepage, it wasn’t on my front page. Had to get to England before it was prominent. I suspect it’s buried for a reason.

NutellaEllaElla Tue 26-Oct-21 10:22:48

I saw a TikTok of Prof Robert Winston categorically stating that one cannot change sex and the comments were 100% supportive of him and reality. So good to see.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Tue 26-Oct-21 10:23:16

Stonewall: “Nobody should ever be pressured into dating, or pressured into dating people they aren't attracted to. But if you find that when dating, you are writing off entire groups of people, like people of colour, fat people, disabled people or trans people, then it's worth considering how societal prejudices may have shaped your attractions.“

This is conversion therapy by any other name isn’t it? “if you find that when dating, you are writing off entire groups of people, like men, or women, then it's worth considering how societal prejudices may have shaped your attractions.” So sexuality is nurture not nature and we can all be shaped out of it.

bebanjo Tue 26-Oct-21 10:24:00

Iv just read this, come hear to see if there was a thread on it and now can’t find it, please tell me I’m being dim, please tell me it’s been archived.

This thread is not accepting new messages.