Talk

Advanced search

What puts you off an online dating profile

(412 Posts)
singlemum81 Thu 14-May-20 23:33:58

Top of the list for me is selfies with tops off or drinking cans of beer confused

OP’s posts: |
Witchofzog Thu 14-May-20 23:42:59

No blurb. Instead "If you want to know something just ask".

Went to the University of Life or School of Hard Knocks.

No photos alone so you have to guess who they are.

People who start their profile with "Are there any normal women anymore?"

People who come across as angry in their profiles.

People who say they will be scrutinising their dates table manners (actually seen on 1 profile)

People who are really sporty. But only because I am not at all!

Photos holding fish or stood next to a random fancy car

Phew that was long!

SmokedGlass Thu 14-May-20 23:47:46

Generally, just ugly fat old men

Cherrygirl3 Thu 14-May-20 23:49:10

The fish photos really annoy me, the skiing, cycling, rock climbing photos do not have the desired effect on me, when do these guys find time to actually date?? Photos with their children/ex partners.....I mean...WTF?

duckduckgosling Thu 14-May-20 23:50:41

I second @Witchofzog!
Fish, tops off, fags hanging out of their mouthes, snap chat filters, gym photos, no written effort...

Mermaidwaves Thu 14-May-20 23:52:17

1. Negative ranting woe is me profiles.
2. Nothing written at all, lazy
3. No photo, married man!
4. Lists of things they dont want in a woman, usually long and unrealistic.

Babooshkar Thu 14-May-20 23:52:39

I would struggle with so many,

@Witchofzog definitely nails a few above.

mostlyhappy4 Thu 14-May-20 23:53:26

For me it's men who will only 'consider' women younger than them.

Also, the men who only have face selfies - I don't know why that puts me off but it does. I think it's because it makes them look like they don't have any mates or family members to take photos of them.

Also, those men stroking chained / drugged up tigers....very depressing. But I think it's meant to look lovable.

Luluapple Thu 14-May-20 23:54:09

Mine were photos of men at the top of local mountain (which isn't a taxing hike...I'm a mountaineer/climber so it leaves me very unimpressed!), photos of men holding a fish (nothing against fishing, in fact I quite like it, but it's not going to woo me!), photos of a man in a group with his mates and you don't know who he is, photos of man and his kids (by all means he upfront about having kids, but don't use them to score dates ffs!). Photos of men in Thailand petting a tiger cub or a baby elephant. Any profile where they haven't been arsed to fill it in. That thing where they codedly say they smoke weed. School of hard knocks bollocks. I gave the hell up on the whole malarkey after 3 weeks! Miraculously managed to find an absolute gem just before I deleted the app.

Whatabambam Thu 14-May-20 23:54:38

Selfies taken in the toilet.

Selfies taken in a hotel room (away from their DP).

Selfies taken in a gym.

Selfies taken in a light aircraft.

Selfies taken lying down on the bed with their 'comehither' eyes.

Arseit Thu 14-May-20 23:56:28

Yep - University of Life, topless pics (particularly if they are in a bathroom, bonus annoyance points if the loo is in the pic, or in bed - 🙄), ask me (FFS - just try a bit), pictures of them posing with a car that inevitably isn’t theirs, when they list what they want in a woman.

Arseit Thu 14-May-20 23:57:33

Oh yes @mostlyhappy4 - I forgot the horrific drugged tiger pics.

Mnthrowaway20202 Thu 14-May-20 23:59:20

No photos alone so you have to guess who they are

I just assume it’s always the worst looking one, they tend to post group photos only

Whatabambam Fri 15-May-20 00:01:08

My favourite so far....picture of a guy holding his pint glass in a beer garden....with his wedding band catching the sun which is clearly winking at everyone apart from him

DanniiLi Fri 15-May-20 00:02:34

I can't the people who start a conversation with just an emoji, like what am I suppose to say to that.

minny80 Fri 15-May-20 00:03:57

- No profile description or short description just stating "Ask me", only their height or similar
- angry, bitter statements, lashing out at their exes, or playing victim, list of physical requirements, obvious copy and paste
- just out or a relationship, often worded as I am back on the market, or I am new be gentle etc
- statements like "save me from this app", "bored to be alone", "looking for someone to spend time/ do things with"
- selfies lying down on a bed
- pics with expensive cars, yachts or other presumed "impressive" possessions
- looking miserable/ poised off in all their pics

Pretty sure I am missing something, but lift is already long enough grin

Walkingandatalking Fri 15-May-20 00:05:00

Selfies sticking their tongue out envy

WildOrchids67 Fri 15-May-20 00:05:52

Photos with tongues sticking out or of them giving the finger. Not appealing.

DanniiLi Fri 15-May-20 00:07:24

definitely agree

RAOK Fri 15-May-20 00:08:44

Bad spelling
All of the above

XDownwiththissortofthingX Fri 15-May-20 00:10:43

"Would/could/should of" in the profile
"was" instead of "were"
"lose" spelled "loose" etc

Yes it's petty and I am a pedant, but they're all the hallmarks of morons.

DanniiLi Fri 15-May-20 00:11:49

just pet pictures, like I am not trying to date your dog

inmyshedsmoking2000 Fri 15-May-20 00:20:45

Pictures of them with their kids.

WantToBeMum Fri 15-May-20 00:28:05

Top off poses
Any kind of selfie/mirror/look at my body photo
No profile description
Negative comments about women in description
Sending a message with just "hi", at least ask a question so there's something to reply to.
Sending a quick follow up message saying something like "why haven't you replied" - because I have a job and can't be online dating all day
To be honest I gave up with online dating because I found it really soulless and rarely had a positive experience

ErrmWTAF Fri 15-May-20 00:30:37

YY to the photo sins mentioned above.

##

Also, bad writing. I hard when they can't string together a sentence, it bother to polish it to a decent standard. My tagline has been "bad grammar is the halitosis of online dating" - that weeds out a few assholes...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in