Talk

Advanced search

C25K

(434 Posts)
Otistheowl Sun 01-Apr-18 17:12:58

I'm a complete beginnen, starting tomorrow, anyone want to join me?
The goal is fitness, although weight loss would be an added bonus.
I've a young family so time and motivation are my biggest obstacles but am determined.
Join me!

Luuby86 Sun 01-Apr-18 18:50:52

Good luck with it. I've just finished week 1 today. I can actually run 5k in the gym on the treadmill but cannot run outside for toffee, so decided to follow C25K outside. Was lovely being out at 08:50 this one in the fresh air, really looking forward to week 2 now!

MagicJay Sun 01-Apr-18 18:59:20

Can I join you? I did it once before but can run anywhere these days. Would love to get into it again.

Otistheowl Sun 01-Apr-18 21:35:28

Sounds great Luuby , well done on finishing week 1. Any tips for getting started?

Absolutely Magic, it'd be great to have someone to do it with! Will you start tomorrow too?

Pennina Sun 01-Apr-18 21:44:58

Yes!! I'm in. I'm a rather unfit 53 yo. Also overweight. Teenage kids. I got up to a 5 min run - week 5 I think but then got appendicitis then it was Xmas then I just lost it. So, v up for starting again nw when kids back at skl. Last time I found I had to repeat runs a bit though

LIZS Sun 01-Apr-18 21:48:15

Dd has promised to do it alongside me. Got 4 weeks in last time iirc then my knee got sore. Intend to start next weekend.

Otistheowl Sun 01-Apr-18 22:04:24

Hi Pennina and LIZS
Welcome aboard!
Are you all recovered after the appendicitis Pennina?
I'd say I'll have to repeat the first week a couple of times! I'm looking at tBis week as an easing in period, figuring out when i'll fit it in etc.
Great that your dd will do it with you LIZS

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Sun 01-Apr-18 22:54:40

What is the best app? Starting this but confused by all the different apps!

MagicJay Mon 02-Apr-18 09:20:27

Yes I'll start today!

MagicJay Mon 02-Apr-18 09:23:46

The last time I did it I was on a Mumsnet C25K thread and it helped so much! I would repeat weeks as well so it took longer than the 9 weeks. I remember that the 20minute run in week 5 completely eluded me, so after three weeks of trying I just moved onto week 6 which was back to the intervals! Got there in the end though.

Otistheowl Mon 02-Apr-18 10:38:54

Morning all.
Anyone gotten out yet? It's bucketing down here so am watching for q break in the rain. OH is home so have relative flexibility.
Lola I downloaded a free app, it's zenlabs, an orange logo. Not sure how good it is yet!

Luuby86 Mon 02-Apr-18 12:41:20

No real tips from me as I'm only at the start of week, and still trying not to collapse each time. I would perhaps say to not try and run to fast, slowly enough that you can still hold a conversation. I've been using the NHS app, with Michael Johnson for company!

MagicJay Mon 02-Apr-18 12:52:24

Just did my W1R1. It was raining quite hard which actually was rather lovely. I'm using the One You C25K app, also using Michael Johnson. I've tried others in the past but have found they don't work very well if I have music playing and I couldn't here by cues to run / walk.

Get out there everyone! The anticipation of doing it is so much worse than actually doing it.

TeaAndBisquits Mon 02-Apr-18 14:35:06

Hello all. I did my very first C25k run today in the drizzle. It was tough going but I feel much better for it.

I'm planning my next run on Wednesday after work.

Otistheowl Mon 02-Apr-18 18:11:21

Well done Magic and Tea!

I'm just back! I'm ridiculously unfit! But I did it! Took it slow on the runs. Feeling very proud of myself grin

Planning my next run for Wednesday AM

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Mon 02-Apr-18 19:47:19

Otis strangely enough that's the one I had already down loaded am giving it a go tonight on the treadmill.

TeaAndBisquits Mon 02-Apr-18 21:52:36

Good going Otis.

I'm feeling quite positive about going out on Wednesday. I can feel it in my legs tonight though! I can tell I've been out and done some exercise.

SheepAreSuper Tue 03-Apr-18 13:20:03

I'll join you.

I'm on week 2 now and using the Bluefin Ease Into 5k app. I've completed the same programme before but stopped running as I was getting strange period-like cramping part way through.

I did W2D1 in the pouring rain this morning. The first 3km was fab, the run intervals are slightly longer but were fine but the cramps kicked in again so I walked the rest.

I'll try again on Thursday.

Luuby86 Tue 03-Apr-18 21:49:25

I've just come back from w2R1, but managed to pick the hilliest route ever!! Am really enjoying it so far though, there are the odd times where it seems tough (usually around the 3rd run) but then when the app says I've reached halfway it seems to go faster!

MagicJay Wed 04-Apr-18 18:20:20

Just home from my W1R2. Took the dog this time which was a mistake as she knew it was dinner time and was sulking and holding back. Note to self: make sure the dog's not hungry if going for a run!

Did anyone else get out today at all?

Otistheowl Wed 04-Apr-18 21:10:44

Hi all, how's everyone getting on?
I'm just back from w1r2 - I am both freezing cold and a sweaty mess grin
OH pointed out I could listen to Audible and run the app at the same time so I actually think I got more out of tonight because I was listening to my book and not feeling self conscious!

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Wed 04-Apr-18 21:15:51

Just done same one as you I thought it would be running for longer on this one but was fine! I'm on the treadmill though.

RocketPockets Thu 05-Apr-18 07:42:38

I started C25K on Monday and did my second run yesterday! I'm going at 6 each morning so it's before my ds gets up and I know I'd never have he energy after work to do it!
I'm quite achey but nowhere near as achey as I was on Tuesday. I also have blisters from my trainers which is annoying as they're quite sore so doubly proud of myself for going out yesterday regardless of hurting! Any recommendations for a decent pair of trainers that aren't too expensive?

MagicJay Thu 05-Apr-18 09:22:25

Ouch! Running with blisters. Pop your feet into a salt bath for a few minutes and they will heal in no time.

Hard to recommend trainers. I wear ancient Nikes which are probably way beyond their best but I like them because they are really lightweight.

RocketPockets Thu 05-Apr-18 09:38:18

I hadn't thought of a salt bath! Thank you smile
Yesterday wasn't too bad, I had a fair bit of cushioning around them so although they were a bit sore they didn't burn like blisters.
My current trainers are just from Tesco so not anything special, I'm not sure if I had them done up too tight on my first run though, so going to loosen them a bit tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: