Talk

Advanced search

“In politics stupidity is not a handicap.” We know this now! Trump thread cont.

(974 Posts)
TheClaws Mon 19-Mar-18 06:34:52

This is a quote of Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon has a number of quotes when Read through the lens of Trump are eerily prescient. Napoleon wasn’t of the same political bent as Trump necessarily, and he was certainly more cerebral, but the lust for power is the same.

Previous thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3191613-Even-if-you-subpoena-us-we-wont-turn-up-on-the-Trump-threads

PainInTheEar Mon 19-Mar-18 06:42:37

Thanks claws

I think it’s going to be a metaphorically explosive week. I only hope it’s isn’t literally true as well.

Out of interest, what’s the coverage of Cambridge Analytica been like on the beeb? Haven’t caught much tv/radio this weekend so whilst I’ve seen that channel four have been covering it, and actually have run their own investigation, would love to know how this is playing on the bbc given it has huge implications for Brexit/leave campaign.

Cambridge Analytica executives created a company in 2017 with the Executive Director & Deputy Chairman of Erik Prince’s Frontier Services Group

medium.com/*@wsiegelman*/cambridge-analytica-executives-created-a-company-in-2017-with-the-executive-director-deputy-b803f27f84a2

boatyardblues Mon 19-Mar-18 06:50:02

Signing in for another rollercoaster week. Like Pain, I’m keeping everything crossed for a nuke-free week.

boatyardblues Mon 19-Mar-18 06:52:40

Eric Prince is Betsy “Bobbins”* De Vos’ brother, yes? Very murky.

* Bobbins was local slang for a stupid person where I grew up. Think Alice Tinker in The Vicar of Dibley.

PainInTheEar Mon 19-Mar-18 07:05:35

He is. He is also the founder of Blackwater which was revealed to be the company the Whitehouse were considering using as a private spy network (that as far as I'm aware, didn't go through) and is also the person who went to Qatar with the russians to see if he could set up a secret backchannel for Trump/Russians brokered by the Qataris.

TheClaws Mon 19-Mar-18 07:11:18

Signing in for another rollercoaster week. Like Pain, I’m keeping everything crossed for a nuke-free week.

Same here - I think this will be a quick-moving thread like the last one. With Trump’s escalating attacks on the Senate intelligence investigation and Mueller, I think something will give within the next week or two. Whether Mueller acts pre-emptively to forestall Trump creating further damages (or firing him), or Mueller is fired, triggering a crisis in government. Or something smile

lettuceWrap Mon 19-Mar-18 07:32:07

Signing in for the rollercoaster! Thank Claws.

TheNorthWestPawsage Mon 19-Mar-18 07:33:25

Jumping on quickly before the commute to say "thanks" for the new thread.

Thinking of old "Nappy" - I pray that Trump is hurtling head (hair) first to his own Waterloo.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 19-Mar-18 07:36:41

morning all!

lettuceWrap Mon 19-Mar-18 07:37:21

Rollercoaster week expected by CNN
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/19/politics/donald-trump-robert-mueller-washington-week/index.html

Quantumblue Mon 19-Mar-18 07:40:53

There is a sense of everything speeding up but I have had that since January last year.

PainInTheEar Mon 19-Mar-18 08:06:43

This is also something that may have the effect of forcing trump to reveal his hand re:russia, deepening the split between those wanting to take action and not, and might precipitate “distractions” even faster

Jack Maidment
@jrmaidment
David Lidington suggests more action to come against Russia over Salisbury: “The National Security Council will obviously consider regularly what action we might wish to take as well that is both proportionate and which would be effective."
NSC due to meet on Tuesday

Roussette Mon 19-Mar-18 08:06:50

Thanks Claws good title and hello new thread!

I was shock at Pain's link with the giant warehouse and scores of people working there storing possibly incriminating evidence.

I often think when a new thread starts, I wonder what fresh horrors will have happened come the end...

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/trump-aide-dan-scavino-divorce_us_5aaef507e4b0c33361b1bdcb

What with TrumpJr's divorce, I just wonder if it's one step too far for some, the unending support of 45...

PerkingFaintly Mon 19-Mar-18 08:20:47

Mornin' mornin'!

Thank you for sparkling new thread, TheClaws.

blueskyinmarch Mon 19-Mar-18 08:24:37

Thanks for the new thread. I am struggling to keep up at the moment!

PerkingFaintly Mon 19-Mar-18 08:26:14

<whispers> It was satire about the warehouse storing evidence.

Um. I think. Says something when it's hard to tell...shock

Roussette Mon 19-Mar-18 08:30:40

Eeeek what is? It seemed quite possible!

PerkingFaintly Mon 19-Mar-18 08:37:14

Yeah, when the POTUS himself is a satire on the concept of a POTUS, it becomes hard to tell...

I've reached the stage where I have to check the label ( "Satire from the Borowitz Report. Not the news." ).

OuaisMaisBon Mon 19-Mar-18 08:48:33

Just here to appreciate the new thread title! Thank you, TheClaws! (I've always hated roller-coasters, there seem to be more terrifying downs than joyous ups!)

Minimammoth Mon 19-Mar-18 09:06:14

Checking in. Off for a winter chill out break, ( literally) but will be keeping an eye on events and reading the ‘curated’ articles.

Quantumblue Mon 19-Mar-18 09:07:13

Oh I had such a clear picture of the warehouse with investigators skating along aisles of incriminating evidence like Amazon workers. And it is fake news! Sad.

Natsku Mon 19-Mar-18 09:13:34

Checking in, wonder how fast this thread will go?!

frankiestein401 Mon 19-Mar-18 09:57:05

www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-074A
Alert re Russian govt targeting energy and other critical sectors - eagerly awaiting tweet from 45.

TheClaws Mon 19-Mar-18 10:07:48

frankiestein that alert is already a few days old. 45 will never respond sad

Lweji Mon 19-Mar-18 10:16:05

Speaking of jumping, not ship, but bunnies

John Oliver spoofs Pence family’s new kids’ book with gay-themed ‘Marlon Bundo’ book

www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/03/19/john-oliver-spoofs-pence-familys-new-kids-book-with-gay-themed-marlon-bundo-book/?utm_term=.ad849f0dda77

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: