Talk

Advanced search

Boris Johnson needs to go to Iran and then step down

(265 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

DB22 Fri 10-Nov-17 06:55:00

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iran-tv-boris-johnson-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-confession-prison-sentence-plot-a8045386.html%3famp#ampshare=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iran-tv-boris-johnson-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-confession-prison-sentence-plot-a8045386.html

How can that bumbling baffoon still be in a job? How does he not have the guts to fully apologise, instead of that well rehearsed speech that avoided the crucial word sorry, and more to the point why is he not in Iran trying to speak directly to the Iranian government?

scaryteacher Fri 10-Nov-17 06:59:55

No point in him going to Iran or speaking directly to the Iranian government, as they will use any excuse to jail her for longer for having the temerity to be married and have a home in England. She worked for Reuters, which is an organisation that espouses free speech, and irrespective of her actual role there, that was seized on as the reason to jail her. The Iranian government doesn't like freedom of speech.

DB22 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:00:32

Gah! I can't do links.

For a anyone who doesn't know, Boris Johnson accidentally announced that Nazanin Zighari-Ratcliffe was in Iran teaching journalism. Nazanin had been illegally held in Iran after being charged with attempts to overthrow the government. She was there to visit her parents with her daughter, who has not seen her father since and is now with Nazanins parents. Boris Johnsons error has been taken as a confession by the Iranians and will increase her sentence Boris Johnson admitted he was wrong but fell short of an apology.

Ifailed Fri 10-Nov-17 07:00:59

I'd rather he went there, then stayed.

IL0veCl0thes Fri 10-Nov-17 07:01:39

I'd be afraid he'd make it worse. That poor woman.

Humpsfor20yards Fri 10-Nov-17 07:02:29

His incompetence is indefensible.

T.may doesn't want him bringing her down from the back benches - which he will if she fires him.

mtpaektu Fri 10-Nov-17 07:05:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MassDebate Fri 10-Nov-17 07:05:26

YANBU. I don't even mind if he stays, if he gets Nazanin home. It would be the best thing he's ever done and worthy of credit (makes a change for Boris).

Wtfdoipick Fri 10-Nov-17 07:07:19

Message removed because it quoted a deleted post.

DB22 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:07:24

I have followed Nazanin's plight for a while now, just via whatever her husband Richard has out in the press. It is awful and the British government are seemingly doing very little.

DB22 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:08:56

I think unless you have a very good reason and sound information, then you really shouldn't say that mtpaektu.

DB22 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:12:33

It's just inconceivable that such a gaffe can go unpunished.

AuntieStella Fri 10-Nov-17 07:15:25

He's said he will be visiting Iran, date tba but before end of year (which is pretty rapid by diplomatic standards, isn't it?)

But goodness only knows if it's going to be possibly to fully repair the damage.

( DB22 - you do links by putting [[ at start and ]] at end - no spaces between bracket and start/end of link)

meditrina Fri 10-Nov-17 07:21:27

"It is awful and the British government are seemingly doing very little."

That's because there's little they can do. Under Iranian law, she's Iranian in Iran (the government there do not recognise any dual nationality) and foreign governments have no business 'interfereing' than they do with any other Iranian in Iran.

So yes, officials can keep mentioning it, and are keeping up the pressure for her release. But given the Iranian pov, what else should the govt be doing?

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Fri 10-Nov-17 07:22:02

He's an absolute dickhead.
Her husband has tried to meet boris, her mp has tried to meet boris. They even turned up st the foreign office and he refused to speak to them. Yet he has thecfucking nerve to comment like this.

He needs to step down

LakieLady Fri 10-Nov-17 07:24:53

I'd rather he went there, then stayed.

My thoughts exactly, as soon as I read the thread title. Can we swap him for Nazanin?

DB22, if he was punished by being sacked, he'd start a leadership bid, which is why May won't sack him. By keeping him in the cabinet, she's stopping a challenge from that quarter. She daren't even demote him, as that would give him an excuse to resign and start a leadership bid. Which he would surely win.

I'd rather see him stay where he is. Too many people are taken in by his "bumbling buffoon" schtick and the Tories chances of success at the next GE would be considerably improved with him in the top job. He's ambitious, ruthless and utterly without principles (look how quickly he became pro-Brexit when he saw which way the wind was blowing).

I'm devastated for Nazanin and her family. I just hope something can be done to bring her home.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 10-Nov-17 07:26:12

I can't believe more isn't being said about this. This must not fade in to the background. This is outrageous and he needs to be held accountable for his words, just like poor Nazanin is.

Crumbs1 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:28:50

This poor woman and poor family. A baby growing up without her parents. An unknown length of time in jail. Unimaginable that our government hasn’t intervened and sent a very strong message.
Boris has done immeasurable damage.

Fekko Fri 10-Nov-17 07:31:33

She is a pawn in a shifty political game. He had shown himself to be hopelessly uncomfortable at playing the game.

He should go and secure her release --and stay there...

Humpsfor20yards Fri 10-Nov-17 07:32:50

Meh, this is where we are now. A blatant liar - penny mourdant- replaces an ambitious liar - petition Patel and Boris' stupidity goes unpunished. Got to keep the brexiteers happy.

V sad for nazanin and her family that the British govt is in such a state.

IdaDown Fri 10-Nov-17 07:35:37

The other untold consequence is her daughter who is still in Iran and not allowed to leave. What crime has she committed? Oh my mistake, just another pawn in the diplomatic game.

He’s supposedly a bright chap. I question this.

DB22 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:38:02

Thank you AuntieStella.

I don't know what can be done, but surely there must be something. It all seems so wrong. I get why May isn't dealing with it, who knows maybe it was all part of his game. Make a big enough public 'gaffe' and he gets to make his move. I don't understand why they don't see through him. He is incapable. If you were to take away the public school boy voice and manners of privellege which the tories so love, you would be left with a two faced, incapable shell. How can that man just read fuse to see Richard Ratcliffe. It's outrageous.

Fekko Fri 10-Nov-17 07:38:47

Well she is with her grandparents. She could be having a lovely life there - it's not all black doom and gloom there if you are m/c and have money.

ThatWasNotLove Fri 10-Nov-17 07:39:01

He’s supposedly a bright chap. I question this.

I do too. Until I try to think the way someone with psychopathic tendencies would think. If his leadership bid depended on getting her out, she’d have been out yesterday. She’s literally worth nothing to him do she’s of no significance (to him).

For those of us with half a conscience, its unimaginable that he doesn’t care what he’s done/doing.

Humpsfor20yards Fri 10-Nov-17 07:39:06

He's a shit, don't doubt it.

He is out for himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now