Talk

Advanced search

Calling all Spartacus! Jenni needs us!

(261 Posts)
iloveruby Mon 06-Mar-17 21:33:22

Am shamelessly posting in AIBU for traffic.

On Sunday Jenni Murray from woman's hour wrote an article saying that transwomen aren't women.

Full article here: www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trans-females-can-never-be-real-women-says-jenni-murray-ht0xhcvrs

In light of the inevitable backlash that Jenni will / is receiving there are a number of efforts to show our support for her.

One of which is co-signing a letter to the BBC. The letter is below and anyone who would like to add their support please message me with your name and you will be added.

"There will undoubtedly be calls for Jenni Murray to leave her position with the BBC following her article of 5th March in the Sunday Times about trans women.
Whether her comments were ‘hurtful’ as Stonewall claim is irrelevant. Murray was bravely sharing her experience as a woman, a feminist and a broadcaster who has navigated a male-dominated society to enjoy a successful career.
Of course trans women have their own hurdles, but those who have spent their formative years as men will not understand the impact of the casual and institutional sexism that women are born into. That some trans women feel justified in wanting to silence Murray speaks volumes about the reality of the different ways men and women are taught and expected to behave.
It is perhaps noteworthy that Murray has made these remarks at the age of 66 with a robust and respected career to bolster her. How many others share her thoughts but are prevented from speaking out for fear of causing offence and sparking a hostile reaction?
To date the BBC has been remiss in its duty to 'educate, inform and entertain’ regarding the ideology behind gender identity. It seems the lobbying activities of groups such as Stonewall and Transmedia Watch have stymied debate, and vilified those who do not share the same viewpoint.
We stand in support of Jenni Murray, and in support of free speech. Please do not cave into the demands to end Murray’s career. The BBC has few older women in positions of seniority, and it would be to the detriment of both audiences and the reputation of the BBC if you were to remove her from post.
Yours"

I am not the author of the letter - that is an amazing women on facebook called Maggie who has organised this.

If anyone would like to add their name directly via facebook let me know and I will send you the link.

I am Spartacus! I am Jenni!

HumpMeBogart Mon 06-Mar-17 21:37:20

YABVU to state that whether her comments were hurtful or not is 'irrelevant'.

HumpMeBogart Mon 06-Mar-17 21:38:01

*should be 'the petition is VU to state that...'

pigsknickers Mon 06-Mar-17 21:38:38

This is a brilliant letter - I've already emailed WH with my own less eloquent one (before I learnt she'd been given a warning, annoyingly). Thank you Jenni Murray.

SloanyAnne Mon 06-Mar-17 21:41:04

The sad fact is that while I'd like to sign, I can't do so via social media because my job might be at risk. I will cut and paste and email it to the BBC though

Foldedtshirt Mon 06-Mar-17 21:45:50

Bloody hell, has she been given a warning? How chillingly Orwellian. 😞

averylongtimeago Mon 06-Mar-17 21:46:59

Have pm'ed you.
I am appalled but not surprised by the criticism JM is facing. It seems that freedom of speech only applies if you are male.

helpimitchy Mon 06-Mar-17 21:50:19

I emailed WH earlier on.

They're arrogant though, they won't take any notice.

No doubt Jenni will retire in time and she'll be replaced with a giggling, simpering fool who'll be instructing us all to dye our hair and paint our nails and how we shouldn't be worrying our silly heads with things like womens rights hmm

Welcome back to the 1950s, only without the Valium.

iloveruby Mon 06-Mar-17 21:53:35

Apparently she has been given a warning, and is also facing calls for her to resign / be sacked.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/06/bbc-faces-calls-veteran-broadcaster-dame-jenni-murray-disciplined/

A lot of the comments criticising her also focus on her appearance...... Which sort of proves her point.

SloanyAnne Mon 06-Mar-17 22:00:53

I've used the letter to submit a complaint to the BBC. It's easy and they have to respond.

BevGoldbergsSister Mon 06-Mar-17 22:02:11

Ive messaged you to add my name.

I dont think it does matter if people find it hurtful, its simple fact.

I found it hurtful when the doctor tells me to quit smoking and explains what Im doing to myself. Should he be given a warning, reprimaned for telling the truth even though it made me feel bad?
Of course not.

tigerdriverII Mon 06-Mar-17 22:11:06

I've PM'd you.

Agree about finding it hurtful. That's not the point. I could feel hurt when my doctor tells me I need to lose weight. It doesn't mean it's not true.

SeaRabbit Mon 06-Mar-17 22:22:54

I've 'commented' to BBC

walchesterweasel Mon 06-Mar-17 22:33:09

I've just sent my offering. Slight tangent but how galling for the athletes born female who want to rise in their sports. They may as well go home

Chartreuse45 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:42:48

Once (and I do seem as if I have too much time on my hands) I did a quiz where you looked at female faces and you had to tell whether they were trans gender or not. After 10 or so I started just looking into the eyes. I focused exclusively there. Guess what I could tell without fail into which category they fell, whereas looking for clues, Adam's apple etc and scanning the whole face was slower and hit & miss. Respect to people's journeys and struggles but it is not the same!

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 06-Mar-17 22:46:37

I'm up for signing. PM sent. Thanks for writing the letter, Iloveruby. I'm not going to argue about details, the letter may not be perfect but what's most important is sending it now!.. Perfect is the enemy of good.

SloanyAnne Mon 06-Mar-17 22:54:56

Got this in reply to my complaint:

We’ll normally include this text in our overnight report to BBC staff of all the complaints and other reaction we have received today (with your personal details removed). This means it will reach the right people by tomorrow morning. We’ll do our best to reply as soon as we can, but the time needed will depend on the nature of your complaint. If we’re not able to respond as soon as we’d like (usually within 10 working days) we’ll let you know.

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 06-Mar-17 22:55:44

Have PM'ed you. Thanks.

fakenamefornow Mon 06-Mar-17 22:56:55

Can you post the Facebook link.

PageStillNotFound404 Mon 06-Mar-17 23:16:01

PM-ed you OP - thanks.

AgathaMystery Mon 06-Mar-17 23:17:41

Not on social media but happy to be added

Alice212 Mon 06-Mar-17 23:22:11

I'll email the bbc but I'm another one who can't discuss on social media as I'd risk losing my job.

BarbarianMum Mon 06-Mar-17 23:24:24

PM'd you. Thank you.

scaryteacher Mon 06-Mar-17 23:29:18

PMd you OP. Thanks.

LatinForTelly Mon 06-Mar-17 23:32:37

Hi iloveruby, could you pm me the facebook link please? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now