My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Has anybody seen this about the salesmen's orgy?

214 replies

BitOfFun · 19/05/2011 23:43

Just spotted it in the In The News section, which I've had hidden for ages since all the BNP threads, but that's by-the-by...

OMFG...

OP posts:
celadon · 22/05/2011 09:01

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MmeLindor. · 22/05/2011 09:02

HerBex
As far as I understand it, HMI is a subsidiary of Hamburg Manhmeimer which is a subsidiary of Ergo which is a subsidiary of Muncher Re.

Or something like that.

There is no way of boycotting them as none of us would ever buy insurance from HMI anyway - they are a small pyramid selling insurance company that even the parent company Hamburg Mannheimer sneers at.

Spoke to DH last night and he said he was not surprised. HMI is a sleazy company. He thinks that one of the guys has links to Hamburg mileu of prostitution (legal but dodgy).

As to the wives - this has been all over the German press this week. They will know if their husband was on a jolly to Hungary on that date. They will know by now. I can have a look around the German papers tomorrow.

ImeldaM · 22/05/2011 09:12

This is absolutely awful, DP mentioned it yesterday. Awful

Beachcomber · 22/05/2011 10:47

Good analysis Sakura - I think you are right that there could have been no difference apart from the status one in the men's own heads.

I sort of hope so because it feels like a tiny tiny bit of subversion if the women knew that.

Not much bloody comfort though really is it.

swallowedAfly · 22/05/2011 10:49

Message withdrawn

Prolesworth · 22/05/2011 12:35

Message withdrawn

aliceliddell · 22/05/2011 12:57

This discussion and the French DSK rape story must have repercussions in France & Germany. There's going to be a French feminist rally in Paris. How can we contact/support them?

Prolesworth · 22/05/2011 12:58

Message withdrawn

aliceliddell · 22/05/2011 13:01

Sakura; I think you're right. Is this another example where we need to focus on the men and how their behaviour affects other men instead of looking at distinctions between women?

aliceliddell · 22/05/2011 13:04

Cheers, Prolesworth! 2 returns on Eurostar? Any one else coming?

sakura · 22/05/2011 13:22

are you going aliceliddell?!?!?! That's brilliant.
I feel much better since logging on here again. French feminists are agitating and the wives probably all know by now. Please do report on the papers MmeLindor

aliceliddell · 22/05/2011 13:42

I wish! Make my dream come true!

StellaSays · 23/05/2011 17:37

I posted about this on facebook when it came out and most of the comments were along the disgusted lines.

ALL of my male friends who commented said it was fine/funny and that we were being uptight Angry

HerBeX · 23/05/2011 21:00

That's really depressign Stella Sad

MmeLindor. · 23/05/2011 22:28

Didn't have time today, but will check up tomorrow.

DH did mention that the Bild zeitung are reporting it - the German tabloid loves to get their teeth into a story like this, particularly when they can print pics of scantily clad women. They have a pic of the salesmen who were on the trip so their wives will certainly know by now. And are reporting that another company offered similar "incentive" trips. Nice.

I did notice that there were women on the pic here www.bild.de/geld/wirtschaft/hamburg-mannheimer-international-versicherung/zweite-versicherung-betroffen-concordia-sex-reise-fuer-mitarbeiter-18029930.bild.html

The football club Borussia Dortmund has cancelled sponsoring contracts with Ergo because of this.

Seems there were ex-employees who went to the press with the story. They had a grudge against the company as they were owed money apparently.

sakura · 24/05/2011 03:40

yes media men like to get other men in trouble with their wives, and they are obviously jealous too that they didn't have the opportunity to be there.. so the press will chase these things up...for their own reasons, not because it's actually despicably wrong or anything like that.

Thanks for letting us know about the wives MmeLind Smile Let's hope they're not too downtrodden and are hopefully making plans to leave

ChristinedePizan · 24/05/2011 04:51

I read this in the paper on Sunday and tried to block it out of my mind. It's so horrific that I can't quite take it in

nooka · 24/05/2011 05:13

Prostitution is completely legal in Germany isn't it? This is the reason I think legalising prostitution is totally not the way to go. It's just the next step up from having work dos in strip clubs (which is also discriminatory, seedy and revolting IMO). Degrading for everyone who works in the company, the women involved and society as a whole.

swallowedAfly · 24/05/2011 06:32

Message withdrawn

MmeLindor. · 24/05/2011 09:57

One thing I noticed was that there were women in the group pics - did the men all go away alone? Surely the women would not have wanted to go with them?

Bild Zeitung likes to draw out their revelations over several days or weeks. Until they find a different scandal. Today, it was that the "Top 5" salesmen went on several holidays a year, paid by the company, including drug taking.

vesuvia · 24/05/2011 12:41

The event cost about three hundred thousand euros.

No wonder insurance premiums are high.

MmeLindor. · 24/05/2011 13:07

That is presumably what my BIL is being asked about by every single customer this week. Ha ha.

If I had a policy with them, I would be cancelling it.

sakura · 24/05/2011 13:14

yes, that too SaF

swallowedAfly · 25/05/2011 11:44

Message withdrawn

celadon · 25/05/2011 18:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.