My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Has anybody seen this about the salesmen's orgy?

214 replies

BitOfFun · 19/05/2011 23:43

Just spotted it in the In The News section, which I've had hidden for ages since all the BNP threads, but that's by-the-by...

OMFG...

OP posts:
Beachcomber · 20/05/2011 13:17

Ach Molly don't take it personally. As sybil says (jolly well I might add) we try to be precise about language and the way we express ourselves here in a way that is different to a non feminist section and we give each other a hard time constantly. I bet you'd like it here once you got used to it.

It isn't about attacking or judging posters - it's about challenging patriarchal things we all take for granted. Sybil said it much better!

ChessPiece · 20/05/2011 13:26

No doubt this will backfire on the company and hopefully lots of some people will take their business elsewhere.

Pendeen · 20/05/2011 13:33

Does anyone think that a British company would dare do this?

LittleWhiteWolf · 20/05/2011 13:52

Totally agree with Sybil. I've had some comments I've made ripped to pieces on here, but on reflection I've learned by having comments challenged and it's made me more aware of what I say.

I still write stupid things when I'm not paying attention though. Hmm

LittleWhiteWolf · 20/05/2011 13:55

Pendeen the company in question were German. They could quite as easily have been British, American, French, Swiss. We're not so different.
Even if the company in question were from a country well known for terrible attitudes towards women (not naming any, but I think you all know what I mean) I'd still not think "at least WE would never do this." We could do this. British men still frequent brothels and British men still head over to places like Budapest to take advantage of the sex industry there.

Beachcomber · 20/05/2011 14:13

I don't know if a UK company would dare to. I'm pretty sure some would want to.

My experience of Germany (which is only Berlin) is that prostitutes are very visible. On more than one occasion I have been walking down a street that doesn't appear at all 'red lighty' and there have been prostituted women up and down the street. The women are dressed in sicko fantasy gear.

I made a group of friends leave a bar because I couldn't bear to sit there and see some very young looking women waiting for a john.

Perhaps a general acceptance of prostitution has turned some of the male population into the sort of knobhead who things paying to sexually abuse women is even more acceptable than it is in the UK?

I don't know but it is an interesting question.

DilysPrice · 20/05/2011 14:40

Can I just point out that although Munich Re have had their name bandied all over the press and this thread, this happened a few years before Munich took over the company in question.

It's an appalling stain on the insurance industry, and international / German business culture in general, but Munich Re as a whole really shouldn't be taking specific blame.

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 20/05/2011 14:41

This whole thing does my head in so many different ways. And I thought I was used to reading about the sicko acts the patriarchy allows to be carried out against women.

And Mollie - don't go. I assumed you were (indirectly) quoting from southeastastra's "they wanted to be there" post.

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 14:52

If any of you very eloquent clever women would like to post on my thread re this on In the News you'd be very welcome. There's a bloke on there who could do with being educated. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Seriously.

Thank you

Prolesworth · 20/05/2011 14:55

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 14:56

Nope.

You're to scary. Well not you Proles. Obviously. Grin

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 20/05/2011 15:07

Oh for goodness sake

Prolesworth · 20/05/2011 15:08

Message withdrawn

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 20/05/2011 15:09

oops Brew

Prolesworth · 20/05/2011 15:11

Message withdrawn

Beachcomber · 20/05/2011 15:15

Hello Molly - I read your thread. I see you are being blessed with some of Rob's pearls of misogyny ignorance entitlement fuckwittery wisdom.

There is no educating him I don't think. I will maybe pop in later - I will probably be quite, um, forthright with him if I do though.

See, you can't stay away from here Grin.

SybilBeddows · 20/05/2011 15:17
AuntieMonica · 20/05/2011 15:21

Molly want to sit next to me on the 'beginners' table? Smile

FWIW, i've told him to fuck off before, he's got exactly the outlook which makes active feminism worthwhile and necessary

steamedtreaclesponge · 20/05/2011 15:22

Beachcomber · 20/05/2011 15:23

See Molly we've got jokes and cushions and all what here. Not sure what crudites are though. Are they what you dip into yummy dips when you don't have a French keyboard?

ééééééé

Hah - you UK feminists may have Julie Bindel but I have an automatic e acute key!

Prolesworth · 20/05/2011 15:25

Message withdrawn

steamedtreaclesponge · 20/05/2011 15:26

ééééééé

Yes! My Pitman word processing skills finally come in handy! I've only been waiting for 11 years to use that...

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 15:39

Oy, don't go all warm and fuzzy on me now. You've got a stereotype to maintain. Grin

I will hang around.

I'll probably just sit quietly in a corner though.

Dungarees and DM's indeed!

vesuvia · 20/05/2011 15:48

DilysPrice wrote - "although Munich Re have had their name bandied all over the press and this thread, this happened a few years before Munich took over the company in question."

I believe the company in question is ERGO, a division of Munich Re.

My understanding is that Munich Re increased its holdings in ERGO to 91.9 percent in early 2002*, 5 years before this use of prostitutes by their employees.

Am I missing something?

DilysPrice · 20/05/2011 15:52

Munich have owned ERGO for years, but the company who actually held the orgy (HMI I think) were only taken over recently by ERGO.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.