My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Has anybody seen this about the salesmen's orgy?

214 replies

BitOfFun · 19/05/2011 23:43

Just spotted it in the In The News section, which I've had hidden for ages since all the BNP threads, but that's by-the-by...

OMFG...

OP posts:
OmicronPersei8 · 20/05/2011 10:25

I saw this yesterday, it read like some horrible parody. And I don't think the word 'orgy' is the right one, either. The whole thing with the bands and stamps made me feel quite ill.

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 11:21

I started original thread on "In the News".

Glad you guys have picked up on it.

It's just wrong on so many levels.

The fact that it was a WORK thing - the place you have to go every day to pay the mortgage - is just beyond my comprehension really.

I wonder how many marriages have hit the skids over this so-called "reward".

The whole story is just deeply depressing.

"arms stamped for each service rendered" Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Malificence · 20/05/2011 11:26

Replace armbands with yellow stars and it starts to seem horrifically familiar.
It would sicken all decent men.

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 11:29

I know that these women did this "willingly".

Surely a little part of you must just die inside?

I can't imagine anyone being involved in something so seedy and degrading and it having no effect...

dittany · 20/05/2011 11:33

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 11:39

That's why I put "".

They weren't held down would assume. But who knows?

There may be pimps threatening with God know what.

There may not.

My point is that I don't understand how any woman could be involved in something like this without it having a negative psychological effect.

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 11:40

Oh dear. Few typos in there. You get my jist though I hope.

dittany · 20/05/2011 11:41

Bumfuzzle · 20/05/2011 11:41

Oh my god. I'm shocked. So shocked that a company would organise this.

The most awful part of that story is the branding of the women after each 'use'. It's not the actual stamping, it is the meaning. The symbolism of that act.

How can a man do that? Want to do that? Don't they have wives? mothers? daughters? sisters? When they stamp a woman after using her body, don't they feel anything? I can't understand. where is the humanity?

SmellsLikeTeenStrop · 20/05/2011 11:42

This news story gives me an empty feeling of despair.

Bumfuzzle · 20/05/2011 11:43

No. That' doesn't read right. it is the actual stamping too, of course, I don't mean to imply that branding a woman after use as an act is not shocking in itself.

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 11:48

No need to apologise. Should have known better than to wander into Feminism.

I stuck to "In the News" originally as I find it a bit intimidating over here. Posts being picked over and pulled apart if you're not one of the regulars. And sometimes even if you are.

I'm glad it's being discussed over here but I'll think I'll leave you to it.

SardineQueen · 20/05/2011 11:51

I assumed that they were stamped after each act as they were paid for services actually rendered at the end?

Or maybe so that the men can see which women haven't had much contact with their colleagues / which are popular / which sort of sex acts are popular to give them some ideas.

It's just loathsome.

SardineQueen · 20/05/2011 11:52

I understood what you meant molly, I thought you were responding to SEA.

piprabbit · 20/05/2011 11:52

Imagine being a top female employee - you think you are finally doing OK in the company, that your efforts are going to be rewarded. So you go along to the reward event only to be told that you have to wear a white wristband to distinguish you from the prostitutes at the event. How demeaning to walk into an event with your male colleagues only to find that they have to tag you (and only you) on entry.

dittany · 20/05/2011 11:56

vesuvia · 20/05/2011 12:00

This sordid episode appears to conflict with Munich Re's self-declared stance on Corporate Responsibility to set high ethical standards.

Their policy statement speaks of "ethically and legally impeccable conduct".

It is for Munich Re to account for the discrepancy between their words and their actions.

Beachcomber · 20/05/2011 12:05

I think Molly's point was that even if the women had an appearance of not being threatened or coerced (although of course money exchanging hands is coercion), that the consequences on a person's psyche of being prostituted must be bad therefore any façade of lack of coercion is moot.

It is a point that if we could get the male half of the population to empathise with, would bring about the end of prostitution.

SybilBeddows · 20/05/2011 12:10

thank you for starting the original thread Molly.

we do pick apart each other's posts in this topic (some posters in particular) and it is a very worthwhile thing to do, because feminism is partly about teasing out and looking at the long-held assumptions we've all got and myths we unthinkingly buy into as a result of living in a male-dominated world. I think many of us would say we've learnt a lot from having this done to our posts at some point or seeing it done. It absolutely isn't personal and isn't done to make people feel bad or tell them their feminism isn't as good as anyone else's, it is purely about learning and analysing.

LittleWhiteWolf · 20/05/2011 12:12

"It is a point that if we could get the male half of the population to empathise with, would bring about the end of prostitution."

If only. Thats the world I want my little girl to grow up in, not the current one where prostitution and strip clubs etc are seen as perfectly normal and above board because the women are perfectly willing Hmm

(I know the issue here is not strip clubs but they're a personal hatred of mine so I added it in)

MollysChamber · 20/05/2011 12:13

Thank you Beachcomber.

That is indeed my point. I don't believe the "happy hooker" can exist because I can't imagine how any woman could be unaffected by having her body used in such a way.

No doubt I have worded that wrongly too.

I will leave before Dittany makes her judgement.

Which is a shame because I think I could learn a lot from some of you.

celadon · 20/05/2011 12:27

swallowedAfly · 20/05/2011 12:28

Message withdrawn

nenevomito · 20/05/2011 12:32

Oh my word that has actually made me feel queasy.

redvelvetmooncupcake · 20/05/2011 12:56

How nasty :(

If it had been organised by a private "social club" at the company, that would be bad enough, but in effect this company excludes women, gay men, and any man who isn't a scumbag, from its upper echelons.

Thank you OP, hadn't heard of this. It will help when I have to explain to people why I "still feel the need to go on about feminism".

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.