Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Royal Style: Elizabeth may be gone, but her diamonds are forever

992 replies

Maireas · 20/09/2022 21:36

Evening Royal style and beauty fans.
Into the Carolean era, with more bling we hope! Also more state banquets?

OP posts:
Please
or

667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast · 21/09/2022 13:32

Spudlet · 21/09/2022 13:29

Elizabeth Holmes on instagram has a post about the final official picture of the Queen:

www.instagram.com/p/CiqnMM-PfXV/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

She says it is a picture of her as she wanted to be seen as opposed to the final chronological picture where she suddenly
looked so frail. I think that’s a very good point - the pearls and the hair and the brooch are all much closer to the Queen we saw all the time.

It’s a lovely picture. Although the one I like best is the one of her walking over the moors - a woman in her element.

Beautiful photo thank you for posting. Yes I agree the photo near Balmoral in the heather is stunning

Please
or

KillingMeDeftly · 21/09/2022 13:35

It's a great picture of her. She could look very stern at times but her smile just transformed her.

Please
or

travellingfamily · 21/09/2022 13:48

Queen of Denmark tests positive for COVID :(.

Danish queen tests positive for Covid day after Queen Elizabeth II's funeral www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62982315

Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 13:57

Yes, she’s had to pull out of a Golden Jubilee dinner for her government, parliament and Danish EMPs. Poor Daisy.

Fred and Mary will host instead.

Please
or

justasking111 · 21/09/2022 14:42

travellingfamily · 21/09/2022 13:48

Queen of Denmark tests positive for COVID :(.

Danish queen tests positive for Covid day after Queen Elizabeth II's funeral www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62982315

I said to OH when I saw the crowds and the number of bodies in the abbey there'd be an outbreak of covid cases.

Please
or

justasking111 · 21/09/2022 14:46

Sat here watching Mary Queen of Scots grandchildren here in twenty minutes. When I saw her earrings bobbing on the crown on top of the coffin did a deep dive on her. Fascinating she was a great collector but used them as currency and gifted them to others. She was a fascinating woman

Please
or

SenecaFallsRedux · 21/09/2022 14:47

Oh, poor Daisy. I wondered the same thing about the large crowd of people.

Please
or

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams · 21/09/2022 15:06

I saw that on the news too. Hopefully it doesn't spread between all the royals.

Thanks to lurking on these threads I recognised quite a few of them. Smile

(I suspect whoever was directly behind the Dutch royals couldn't believe their bad luck though — statistically the tallest country in the world, and they put them on the front row. Grin)

Please
or

SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed · 21/09/2022 15:30

Spudlet · 21/09/2022 09:55

Checking in!

I have a confession to make… I’m kind of obsessed with Kate’s eyebrows 😳 They are so perfectly shaped and groomed. I have blonde eyebrows, even if I had makeup artists on standby at all times I don’t think I could get that level of definition.

I am slightly embarrassed by this 😳😂

Me too 👑

Thank you for the new thread old chum.

The menopause moths have devastated my brows. I’m currently in slug mode in the hope that someone somewhere will be able to make them presentable.

I look at Kate’s brows with pure unadulterated envy.

Please
or

KillingMeDeftly · 21/09/2022 15:31

Max isn't Dutch but I think she's quite tall anyway, maybe about 5'10?

Please
or

KillingMeDeftly · 21/09/2022 15:32

I've recently discovered Rapid Brow and it's made a huge difference to my brows. I don't even need brow pencil anymore!

Please
or

Jellywobblescobbles · 21/09/2022 15:43

Very interesting thread! I wonder what had happened to the Queens engagement ring? Stunning design, practical but beautiful.

Please
or

SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed · 21/09/2022 15:43

killingmedeftly

I’ve always been super sceptical. Thank you for the recommendation. It can’t hurt…

I’m all Alistair Darling so am frightened to go with more permanent stuff in case what is left of the bloody things go white overnight and I’m left looking odd.

Sorry for merail.

At ease.

Please
or

SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed · 21/09/2022 15:48

Jellywobblescobbles · 21/09/2022 15:43

Very interesting thread! I wonder what had happened to the Queens engagement ring? Stunning design, practical but beautiful.

I hope she took it with her.

A sparkly promise of love to go with the wedding ring that made it so.

Of all the jewels, those should always be hers. They are personal. Not state. I’m a bit of a sap like that.

Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 15:50

@667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast it’s a piece of jewellery worn on the bodice.

Please
or

Jellywobblescobbles · 21/09/2022 15:51

SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed · 21/09/2022 15:48

I hope she took it with her.

A sparkly promise of love to go with the wedding ring that made it so.

Of all the jewels, those should always be hers. They are personal. Not state. I’m a bit of a sap like that.

Of course. I agree. What a woman.

Please
or

SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed · 21/09/2022 15:52

Wasn’t she though ☺️

Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 15:53

@SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed i think it’s said the plan was that she be buried wearing only her wedding band (can’t remember where I read that, though, so no idea of the veracity). I expect her engagement ring will have been bequeathed to someone. But I don’t know if we’ll ever find out. Would be lovely to know where her personal, much loved pieces end up.

Please
or

SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed · 21/09/2022 15:55

Thank you for the info nique

Well if it is going anywhere, I hope very much it is going to Anne. Down the line of women.

Hiw absolutely perfect would that be?

Please
or

Jellywobblescobbles · 21/09/2022 15:55

@SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed i think it’s said the plan was that she be buried wearing only her wedding band (can’t remember where I read that, though, so no idea of the veracity). I expect her engagement ring will have been bequeathed to someone. But I don’t know if we’ll ever find out. Would be lovely to know where her personal, much loved pieces end up.

The Queen will have made it clear beforehand who she wanted to leave it to. How lovely. A lot of women do choose to leave their wedding rings on and ensure their engagement and or eternity rings are left to a loved one.

Please
or

SenecaFallsRedux · 21/09/2022 15:57

This is what my grandmother did. I got the engagement ring. When DH and I decided to marry, he said he would buy me a ring. I put my grandmother's on, showed it to him and told him: "job done." He was very pleased.

Please
or

Jellywobblescobbles · 21/09/2022 16:07

This is what my grandmother did. I got the engagement ring. When DH and I decided to marry, he said he would buy me a ring. I put my grandmother's on, showed it to him and told him: "job done." He was very pleased.

So lovely.

Please
or

667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast · 21/09/2022 16:58

@NiqueNique thank you wow that’s a stunning piece of jewellery.

Regarding the engagement ring I read I think that it be passed on to maybe one of Kate and William’s sons to give to their future fiancé as that is what happened with Diana’s ring. I think its unlikely and would be a shame if they buried the Queen with it as it’s a very special piece of jewellery that her great grand children will treasure. Wasn’t the engagement ring Philip gave her his own mothers ? I’m sure someone knows more about it on here than me

Please
or

667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast · 21/09/2022 17:00

That is lovely. My grandmother’s rings were stolen while she lay seriously ill in hospital, my mother had tried to get her to leave them but she didn’t want to take them off.

Please
or

SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed · 21/09/2022 17:02

That is appalling 667

The people who did such a despicable thing deserve to reside with your neighbour.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?