Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Royal Style: Elizabeth may be gone, but her diamonds are forever

992 replies

Maireas · 20/09/2022 21:36

Evening Royal style and beauty fans.
Into the Carolean era, with more bling we hope! Also more state banquets?

OP posts:
Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 20:19

Yes. All red gemstones used to be called rubies, though, which is how it got its name. It’s glorious, isn’t it! @Maireas i think you should award it to yourself as the guardian of these threads!

Please
or

KillingMeDeftly · 21/09/2022 20:24

Princessglittery · 21/09/2022 20:05

Completely new to this series of threads so forgive me if this has been asked on a previous thread.

When the King became the Prince of Wales he was crowned with a coronet. Is there a matching coronet for the Princess of Wales?

Good question! I'm trying to remember the last PoW who was married when he had the title conferred. I think it must've been George V but I don't know if there was any sort of ceremony for him and Queen Mary. And before him you'd have to go back quite a bit to find a married PoW, I think maybe George II?

Please
or

Maireas · 21/09/2022 20:27

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 20:19

Yes. All red gemstones used to be called rubies, though, which is how it got its name. It’s glorious, isn’t it! @Maireas i think you should award it to yourself as the guardian of these threads!

What a kind suggestion!! I'm going to take it, and call it a ruby, as that's how it's known!
Now, shall I have it on a brooch or a pendant or a stonking ring?.🤔

OP posts:
Please
or

Maireas · 21/09/2022 20:31

I didn't like the coronet Charles was invested with, I thought it was ugly, and my horrors were confirmed when I read that the central orb is a ping pong ball sprayed gold ☹️.
Edward VIII took his PoW coronet into exile with him, which actually broke the terms. So they created the new one for Charles.

OP posts:
Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 20:35

Oh my goodness that can’t be true...

Please
or

Princessglittery · 21/09/2022 20:36

@Maireas that’s really interesting. Did it come back to the RF when the Duchess died or was it sold with her jewels?

I agree it’s fairly functional looking and wondered if Diana had a one - perhaps along the lines of the small crown QV wore. I also understand as it’s a coronet it’s only worn at the coronation.

Please
or

Maireas · 21/09/2022 20:41

It was never returned. Part of Edward/David's anger as he lobbied to have the Prince of Wales title returned to him after his abdication.
So he kept the coronet!

OP posts:
Please
or

CliffsofMohair · 21/09/2022 20:42

frugalkitty · 20/09/2022 22:37

Thank you for the new thread, great title!

Nique I think I nabbed the sceptre around the time of the jubilee although peri menopausal brain might mean I'm making that up. Quite recent though.

I don't know if anyone opted for the crown but if not, I'd love the sapphire and pearls please for their historical connections, the huge diamond doesn't appeal.

Must say when I got in from school earlier, I missed putting the tv on to watch the queue at Westminster Hall. It's does feel a bit like 'what now?' after the build up and yesterdays spectacle.

Agreed, I felt flat. Watching the lying in state was like watching ‘slow tv’. Very soothing

Please
or

SenecaFallsRedux · 21/09/2022 21:10

Queen Mary was Princess of Wales at the coronation of Edward VII. I found this illustration that shows her wearing a coronet, but I don't know how accurate it is.

www.bridgemanimages.com/en-US/english-school/the-princess-of-wales-in-her-coronation-robes-1902-colour-litho/colour-lithograph/asset/2966416

Please
or

paradyning · 21/09/2022 21:15

Charles was made PoW before D was in the scene so don't think there is one.

The ping pong was a last minute addition when the original one fell off just before the ceremony iirc

Please
or

Maireas · 21/09/2022 21:17

Yes, Seneca I seem to remember a photograph of Mary in that coronet.

OP posts:
Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 21:17

Haha it’s funny now that I’ve got used to the idea! So much for pomp and circumstance...

Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 21:17

(The ping pong ball, I mean)

Please
or

CaveMum · 21/09/2022 21:32

Camilla is going to use the crown made for the Queen Mother at Charles’ Coronation. It’s multi-use apparently - can be a crown or, with the arches detached, or a circlet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_of_Queen_Elizabeth_The_Queen_Mother

Please
or

CaveMum · 21/09/2022 21:33

Oh and I read in the Metro that the Queen was buried with just two pieces of jewellery- her wedding ring and a pair of pearl earrings.

Please
or

Maireas · 21/09/2022 21:34

Oooh, contains the Koh-i-Noor!

OP posts:
Please
or

SenecaFallsRedux · 21/09/2022 21:34

I wonder if they are going to make William wear that ping pong coronet. It does not strike me as his style.

Please
or

SheldonesqueIsUnderwhelmed · 21/09/2022 21:35

Camilla will look glorious in that.

I think she is marvellous.

Please
or

gingercat02 · 21/09/2022 21:35

BeaLola · 21/09/2022 19:39

I was wondering whether the Queen's engagement ring would go to Anne or Sophie ?

Be hilarious if HMQ left her ring to Meghan. Slap that up the haters 🤣

Please
or

Maireas · 21/09/2022 21:40

gingercat02 · 21/09/2022 21:35

Be hilarious if HMQ left her ring to Meghan. Slap that up the haters 🤣

Let's not go down that route, please gingercat 🙏

OP posts:
Please
or

CaveMum · 21/09/2022 21:40

Charles’ coronet is by far the ugliest thing in the collection, to me. It’s very “of its time” shall we say 😜

I wonder if they’ll ever make use of Queen Victoria’s miniature crown again? It’s pretty niche.

Please
or

Maireas · 21/09/2022 21:44

I quite agree, @CaveMum - quite hideous. I rather like that mini crown of QV, I think Charlotte should wear it at the coronation!

OP posts:
Please
or

SenecaFallsRedux · 21/09/2022 21:46

I wonder if those little gold circlets that Margaret and Elizabeth wore for their father's coronation are still around. One of those would be also be a possibility for Charlotte.

Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 21:47

I’m slightly relieved to read that the ping pong ball is gold plated - that’s at least slightly better than my vision of it having been hastily sprayed with that nasty gold spray from Woolworths (or wherever). Grin

Please
or

NiqueNique · 21/09/2022 21:48

@SenecaFallsRedux I was just thinking that today! I’m sure they will have been carefully stored away for posterity.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?