Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Royal Style: Elizabeth may be gone, but her diamonds are forever

992 replies

Maireas · 20/09/2022 21:36

Evening Royal style and beauty fans.
Into the Carolean era, with more bling we hope! Also more state banquets?

OP posts:
Please
or

NiqueNique · 20/09/2022 22:09

Terms like ‘end of an era’ are often overused without justification, but in this case it really was.

Please
or

SenecaFallsRedux · 20/09/2022 22:10

NiqueNique · 20/09/2022 22:02

Such a lovely photo. And the flowers!

Yes I see the scarf plainly now. Thanks!

Please
or

MotherofPearl · 20/09/2022 22:12

CaveMum · 20/09/2022 21:53

If you haven’t seen it (and I’m probably preaching to the converted here!) but highly recommend watching the BBC documentary on the Crown Jewels that was made earlier this year - it’s back on iPlayer as part of the commemorations for HM.

Very interesting to hear them talk about the Koh-I-Noor diamond and how only women handle it, even in the cleaning!

I missed this so will add it to my list. DP going away for work next week so it will be perfect viewing for then. He generally vetoes my royal-related viewing!

Please
or

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 20/09/2022 22:14

NiqueNique · 20/09/2022 21:50

Queen Mary did it a lot, apparently. Reworking pieces or taking them apart to create others. She certainly loved her jewellery.

Yes so many items created by Queen Mary one way or another. The pictures of her show epic levels of bling, I reckon Kate has a slender enough neck to wear those huge necklaces she favoured, but I bet they have all been turned into broaches or earrings.

The other person who seems to have acquired a lot of great jewels is the Queen Mother, she wore some fab items, the greville tiara (that Camilla looks so good in). The lotus flower tiara worn low on her forehead rather like the famous pictures of Diana wearing a necklace as a tiara (Kate has worn the lotus flower more normally with an updo). The Cartier bracelet bandeau tiara (which HMQ often wore as bracelets but we haven't seen as a tiara). The Cartier halo worn by Megan was hers too.

Please
or

AdaColeman · 20/09/2022 22:23

👑 👑 👑 👑 👑

Thank you @Maireas for the new thread and a lovely title!

Please
or

eggandonion · 20/09/2022 22:24

After they complete the mourning period, I wonder how and when normal activities resume for the royals.
Sorting out the various houses will be interesting. And Charles really needs to appoint the Wessexes to Edinburgh.

Please
or

justasking111 · 20/09/2022 22:30

I'm glad Charles likes to see the Jewellery. Always thought it wouldn't have hurt to have lent Sophie some. Anne I can't see being bothered. The other ladies when working should be lent the bling. As we've seen they've done it a lot with the hats this week.

They're historically interesting. Though there might be some grumbling that they were cadged, stolen eons ago sigh.....

Please
or

ShirleyJackson · 20/09/2022 22:33

Oh, that headscarf.

Sad

Please
or

frugalkitty · 20/09/2022 22:37

Thank you for the new thread, great title!

Nique I think I nabbed the sceptre around the time of the jubilee although peri menopausal brain might mean I'm making that up. Quite recent though.

I don't know if anyone opted for the crown but if not, I'd love the sapphire and pearls please for their historical connections, the huge diamond doesn't appeal.

Must say when I got in from school earlier, I missed putting the tv on to watch the queue at Westminster Hall. It's does feel a bit like 'what now?' after the build up and yesterdays spectacle.

Please
or

TracyBeakerSoYeah · 20/09/2022 22:38

Thanks for the new thread @Maireas & a fitting title.

It is the end of era.

Please
or

MotherofPearl · 20/09/2022 22:41

the huge diamond doesn't appeal.

Not a sentence you read very often on this thread!

I know what you mean about feeling a bit flat now that it's all over frugal. It feels a bit odd. I also miss The Queue. Smile

Please
or

gluenotsoup · 20/09/2022 22:46

I’ll have the huge diamond…😂

Please
or

RomainingCalm · 20/09/2022 22:47

Very British Problems described the nation's mood this morning as "a bit befuddled to be honest".

That summed it up for me. It's a very odd feeling today.

I see that King Charles and Camilla have gone up to Balmoral to rest and to grieve. Here's hoping that all of the Royals can now do the same.

I don't think it will be long though before we see some State occasions hosted by Charles - I sense that he will be keen to be quite visible as the Monarch. Selfishly I'm also hoping for gowns and jewels.

Please
or

LINABE · 20/09/2022 23:15

Could someone please post a link for the original thread?

Please
or

Anonmousse · 20/09/2022 23:30

CaveMum · 20/09/2022 21:53

If you haven’t seen it (and I’m probably preaching to the converted here!) but highly recommend watching the BBC documentary on the Crown Jewels that was made earlier this year - it’s back on iPlayer as part of the commemorations for HM.

Very interesting to hear them talk about the Koh-I-Noor diamond and how only women handle it, even in the cleaning!

I definitely want to see this too. Thanks for the recommendation

I'm a jeweller and while parts of our trade are very old fashioned and some tools haven't changed for centuries I'm so intrigued and impressed at how they made such exquisite stuff without an electric drill with various attachments for example.

Might have been discussed on previous threads but was anyone else confused at the Windsor service when the man came in to remove the orb, sceptre and crown from the coffin. He was wearing white gloves to handle them....passed to 2 other people also wearing white gloves...who then passed to the minister/clergy who had no gloves...?

Please
or

LINABE · 21/09/2022 00:01

LINABE · 20/09/2022 23:15

Could someone please post a link for the original thread?

Anyone?

Please
or

JacquelineCarlyle · 21/09/2022 00:35

Checking in as I love the style and beauty of it all. I don't have the knowledge you guys have, so love reading what you all have to say!

Please
or

StartupRepair · 21/09/2022 01:05

Just wanting to say how much I loved Sarah Chatto's brooches at the funeral. She also wore them to her mother's funeral.Stonking diamonds that belonged to Princess Margaret.

Please
or

TracyBeakerSoYeah · 21/09/2022 01:13

@LINABE

If you mean the thread that started us all off
www.mumsnet.com/talk/style_and_beauty/3285879-royal-style-kate-meghan-bea-euj-maxima-mary-letizia-victoria

This was back in June 2018 & I think (if I counted correctly) we are on Thread 57 now.
Wow we've been going just over 4yrs!

Please
or

sausage767 · 21/09/2022 01:14

Just wanting to say how much I loved Sarah Chatto's brooches at the funeral. She also wore them to her mother's funeral.Stonking diamonds that belonged to Princess Margaret.

I missed that, how lovely. I imagine she wore that because the Queen particularly liked it.

Please
or

TeddyTed · 21/09/2022 06:39

Hello all, checking in to the new thread!

Please
or

MotherofPearl · 21/09/2022 06:47

Here she is, looking stylish as ever.

Royal Style: Elizabeth may be gone, but her diamonds are forever
Please
or

Maireas · 21/09/2022 07:05

I remember the first thread. We'd started commenting on the outfits at Harry and Meghan's wedding, and it developed from there.

OP posts:
Please
or

Eaumyword · 21/09/2022 07:05

Morning all!
Thanks for the new thread @Maireas gosh, the last one filled up fast!
I'm a fan of Sarah Chatto and her understated style.
I spotted the headscarf on Emma the pony-such a lovely touch.

Please
or

StartupRepair · 21/09/2022 07:23

Thanks @MotherofPearl . Lovely indeed.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?