Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Royal Style: Elizabeth may be gone, but her diamonds are forever

992 replies

Maireas · 20/09/2022 21:36

Evening Royal style and beauty fans.
Into the Carolean era, with more bling we hope! Also more state banquets?

OP posts:
Please
or

Maireas · 09/10/2022 19:02

Please join us on the new thread!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please
or

667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast · 09/10/2022 18:49

AdaColeman · 09/10/2022 18:38

That Cecil Beaton photograph with the parasol shows part of the QM's famous White Wardrobe made for her 1938 visit to Paris, which was one time when she was a style icon and trendsetter.

Just days before the QM's departure for Paris, her mother died, so the visit was postponed for a couple of weeks. The colourful wardrobe Norman Hartnell had created for her had to be abandoned, and he suggested that she wore white for mourning.

This proved to be a sensation in Paris, with the exquisite dresses Hartnell created, inspired by the famous Winterhalter paintings in the Royal Collection, sealing his position as a leading designer.

Although we laugh about Kate and her diplomatic dressing, the QM's White Wardrobe and the enthusiasm and delight it caused in France, helped to seal an Entente Cordiale with France, which helped to hold the two countries together as allies during World War II.

Wow that’s really interesting thank you. I know that white was the colour of royal mourning in France as Mary Queen of Scots wore this after her first husband the Dauphin died.

Please
or

AdaColeman · 09/10/2022 18:38

That Cecil Beaton photograph with the parasol shows part of the QM's famous White Wardrobe made for her 1938 visit to Paris, which was one time when she was a style icon and trendsetter.

Just days before the QM's departure for Paris, her mother died, so the visit was postponed for a couple of weeks. The colourful wardrobe Norman Hartnell had created for her had to be abandoned, and he suggested that she wore white for mourning.

This proved to be a sensation in Paris, with the exquisite dresses Hartnell created, inspired by the famous Winterhalter paintings in the Royal Collection, sealing his position as a leading designer.

Although we laugh about Kate and her diplomatic dressing, the QM's White Wardrobe and the enthusiasm and delight it caused in France, helped to seal an Entente Cordiale with France, which helped to hold the two countries together as allies during World War II.

Please
or

667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast · 09/10/2022 17:53

Serenster · 09/10/2022 17:46

The parasol photo was 1938 - she was photographed in the grounds of Buckingham Palace wearing dress she had made for her trip to Paris earlier that year. So she was 38 then.

Ah ok it was an evening gown I thought it was an Edwardian type day dress. She looks very stylish in all of those photos. I have to say I don’t think Wallis Simpson was a pretty woman at all but apparently she had something about her that made her attractive.

Please
or

Serenster · 09/10/2022 17:46

The parasol photo was 1938 - she was photographed in the grounds of Buckingham Palace wearing dress she had made for her trip to Paris earlier that year. So she was 38 then.

Please
or

667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast · 09/10/2022 17:44

Serenster · 09/10/2022 17:23

I feel sorry for the QM in many ways - for most of her youth she obviously followed the fashion of the times she was living in, but that meant she spent her 20s in the slim, drop-waisted , shapeless fashions of the 1920s that did not flatter her figure at all. She did far better in the 1930s - and before, when she was a teenage during WWI. She was certainly capable of looking stylish, even if chic was not really in her wheelhouse.

These are lovely photos of QM thank you for posting. I love the one with the parasol I’m presuming this was when she was very young.

Please
or

gluenotsoup · 09/10/2022 17:42

I am always taken aback at how similar to the QM Eugenie is. And Bea is similar to Victoria. Are there any other doppelgängers? With photos preferably 😂

Please
or

Serenster · 09/10/2022 17:23

I feel sorry for the QM in many ways - for most of her youth she obviously followed the fashion of the times she was living in, but that meant she spent her 20s in the slim, drop-waisted , shapeless fashions of the 1920s that did not flatter her figure at all. She did far better in the 1930s - and before, when she was a teenage during WWI. She was certainly capable of looking stylish, even if chic was not really in her wheelhouse.

Please
or

NiqueNique · 09/10/2022 17:22

Chic, Mustique and Royal Mystique

(chic references our discussion here regarding what is and isn’t, Mustique because Princess Margaret loved it there and we’ve talked about her a fair bit this last week, and Royal Mystique because without it we might as well just elect our HoS so there’d better be some pomp, circumstance and suitable bling on show going forward, Your Majesty!!)

Please
or

Maireas · 09/10/2022 17:10

Nearly ready for a new thread.
Title suggestions, please?

OP posts:
Please
or

KillingMeDeftly · 09/10/2022 17:00

@MotherofPearl Yes, chic the QM was not. Whereas Wallis was not lacking in that quality, though no doubt she was in others!

Please
or

Maireas · 09/10/2022 16:10

That's interesting, Ada!

OP posts:
Please
or

MotherofPearl · 09/10/2022 15:32

KillingMeDeftly · 09/10/2022 08:15

The Strathmore looks better in the display cabinet than it does on the QM. I don't think she was particularly stylish. And I know her wedding dress was of the time but it looked like a sack on her!

I'm afraid when I think of the QM I sometimes think of David and Wallis's alleged and rather unkind nickname for her: Cookie.

Please
or

LadyEloise1 · 09/10/2022 15:23

There is more than a slight resemblance between QM and Eugenie I think - from that side profile picture of QM that paradyning posted.

Please
or

AdaColeman · 09/10/2022 15:16

My mother's family had some very distant link with the Bowes Lyon family, and my Grandmother always said that Elizabeth had her heart set on being Queen, but the PoW wasn't interested in her, being more keen on having married women as his mistresses.
So Elizabeth settled for Bertie as second best. But with a twist of fate, and some help from Stanley Baldwin she did become Queen.

Please
or

justasking111 · 09/10/2022 13:53

I read that she pursued him in the way that a lady of the day could. His interests were more exotic. She dodged a bullet there. There was the whiff of depravity about him from his youth.

Please
or

KillingMeDeftly · 09/10/2022 12:56

David was apparently not interested in her as she wasn't his type but I suspect that had he been then things might've turned out very differently!

Please
or

Maireas · 09/10/2022 12:48

Yes, I see Andrew and Eugenie as well.
I had heard that she'd had her eye on Edward, so in retrospect it was fortunate that didn't happen. George and Mary were very happy that she accepted Bertie.

OP posts:
Please
or

KillingMeDeftly · 09/10/2022 12:46

paradyning · 09/10/2022 12:14

Royal Order Strathmore link:

orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2018/02/tiara-thursday-strathmore-rose-tiara.html?m=1

Interesting to see QM's parents. Those genes weren't strongly passed down I don't think.

I can see a slight resemblance between the QM there an Eugenie but it's only very slight.

The QM was apparently a very sought-after and popular debutante. There is a rumour that she had her eye on the Prince of Wales originally but who knows how true that was 🤷🏻‍♀️

Please
or

667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast · 09/10/2022 12:32

SenecaFallsRedux · 09/10/2022 12:28

The words "coronation" and "lounge suit" do not belong in the same sentence.

I couldn’t agree more ! Standards my dear ,standards ! 😄

Please
or

SenecaFallsRedux · 09/10/2022 12:28

The words "coronation" and "lounge suit" do not belong in the same sentence.

Please
or

Spudlet · 09/10/2022 12:20

SuperSange · 09/10/2022 09:00

I just saw that; it's going to be less formal, morning or lounge suits, not the ermine gowns and capes and stuff. I wanted to see the bloody tiaras. AngryGrin

But, but, but - shiny things! 😧

[bottom lip quivers]

Please
or

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams · 09/10/2022 12:17

I think it's a shame too — it would have been lovely to have seen it in "modern" televised colour.

Please
or

paradyning · 09/10/2022 12:14

Royal Order Strathmore link:

orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2018/02/tiara-thursday-strathmore-rose-tiara.html?m=1

Interesting to see QM's parents. Those genes weren't strongly passed down I don't think.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?