Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Seasalt..is it all considered frumpy?

RejectedFleece · 19/09/2022 10:55

I have developed a particular love for Seasalt clothes..not the patterned things, but the basics like knitwear, trousers (the wide legged cords), the boots, the more tailored blazers etc..is it all considered frumpy? I'm also a Dr Marten, Kin etc kind of girl, so I try and mix it up a little.

OP's posts:
Please
or

KirstenBlest · 19/09/2022 11:00

No, it's not all frumpy. It's good quality and they do a wide range of sizes.

Please
or

LadyOfTheCanyon · 19/09/2022 11:01

In my opinion it's very much a "look" and not one that I care for particularly - (but to each their own)- but I imagine that individual non patterned items wouldn't look like they were from Seasalt.

Please
or

CherryGenoa · 19/09/2022 11:02

IT looks frumpy on me but nice on my friend. I think it depends on your style and body shape.

Please
or

pictish · 19/09/2022 11:06

I wear the cropped wide leg cords to work, I have three pairs alongside three Breton long sleeved Seasalt tops. They go on rotation with doc boots. We sound similar.
I’m waiting on a cardi arriving, again for work.

I would have worn this ensemble at 20 so I don’t think of it as frumpy. It’s good stylish work wear.

Please
or

RejectedFleece · 19/09/2022 11:08

Ooh. It's good to know that other people get it. Thank you 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

thedevilinablackdress · 19/09/2022 11:10

I love their long sleeve striped t-shirts. Some decent linen in plain colours too.

Please
or

PinkButtercups · 19/09/2022 11:10

I don't think it looks grumpy as such but think it looks aimed more at middle aged. Not that's a bad thing.

Please
or

PinkButtercups · 19/09/2022 11:11

Frumpy

Please
or

IWillBeWaxingAnOwl · 19/09/2022 11:11

I love their stuff - lasts well and I like a basic earthy pattern so 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

Nanny67 · 19/09/2022 11:17

I wear the dresses all year round

Please
or

Windinthepillows · 19/09/2022 11:19

I think the tops are nice. Lovely cuts but some can be a bit boxy.

Please
or

Floisme · 19/09/2022 11:36

I've never understood why some people get so sniffy about it. The prints aren't my thing and the cut of the trousers doesn't work for me, but I like the knitwear, the tweedy coats, the utilitarian looking heavy cotton jackets and the flat ankle boots.

Please
or

Strangerthings4NW · 19/09/2022 11:46

Emm well i think it is. I’ve never seen it before but it looks like anyone from 30-90 could wear it so-frumpy.

Please
or

ehb102 · 19/09/2022 11:48

Another sexist word and concept. If you want to look fashionable, of course Seasalt isn't in fashion. Fashion is empty and fast moving. If you want to look stylish and you have a style, embrace it! And if you want to be a person in warm clothes you like then again, rock on.

Please
or

Suprima · 19/09/2022 11:49

Depends if you look like Seasalt has thrown up on you. A stripy top or a pair of cords from there, fine. You can find nice stuff anywhere

But the uniform of: a stripy top, a pair of skinny cords, a gilet or that yellow anorak, a floral scarf and pair of sensible boots is not going to look chic ever

Please
or

Suprima · 19/09/2022 11:52

ehb102 · 19/09/2022 11:48

Another sexist word and concept. If you want to look fashionable, of course Seasalt isn't in fashion. Fashion is empty and fast moving. If you want to look stylish and you have a style, embrace it! And if you want to be a person in warm clothes you like then again, rock on.

Man frump exists. We should talk about it more:

shapeless jeans, superdry hoodie, trainers with those knobbly soles that can also go on a hike

or anything surf branded on a man that doesn’t do any surfing

what else?

Please
or

ChilliPB · 19/09/2022 11:55

I think most shops - even ones that are marketed for a particular age/demographic/style - will have individual bits that are more universal or basic. I don’t understand why people are really sniffy about brands. I might not usually shop in one store but they might have a particular item I like, or be really good at something like trousers, or basic tees or whatever. If you like it and it works for you I’d focus on that rather than the brand!

Please
or

woodhill · 19/09/2022 11:55

I love Seasalt

I think some of the patterns are not really me but the tops I have are excellent and I bought a dress this Summer. Also liked the jumpsuits

Always have my eye on something

Please
or

woodhill · 19/09/2022 11:57

20 something dds also like some things as does my dm

And the men in my family all appreciate the socks

I started liking it with the face masks

Please
or

Purplecatshopaholic · 19/09/2022 11:57

It’s defo a ‘look’ that you either like or you don’t (if you wear a lot of the brand). I personally do find it a bit frumpy (and I suppose I am middle aged for whoever made that comment), but that said, there are wardrobe ‘basics’ that would work with anything, like the striped sailor top, etc

Please
or

Silverpossum · 19/09/2022 11:58

I wasn't keen on the fit of the tops but I have a couple of wide legged cords that I love. I wear them with docs, Adidas or Converse. I don't think they're frumpy personally. I have their brogues for work too.

Please
or

ImAvingOops · 19/09/2022 11:59

Honestly (and without judgement) I think their clothes are for people who want to look presentable and 'nice' but who have little interest in style or fashion - they want to fit in and not stand out. The clothes will look acceptable for shopping or going to work or doing a school run, so are the kind of thing you can put on and forget about.

Please
or

Shiningstarr · 19/09/2022 12:03

I think Seasalt is frumpy. The same way I think Joules is frumpy. I used to wear a lot of Joules, until I caught my reflection and realised it was a very 'mumsy' and 'frumpy' look.

Please
or

pictish · 19/09/2022 12:06

I wear Seasalt to work and have bright red hair. I’m not quiet either.
The sailor tops are brilliant for colour clashes. Olive cropped cords, navy and turquoise stripes, cherry docs and bright red hair. It’s far from a blending in thing.

These items wash and wear, wash and wear and just keep going.

Please
or

Comfyslippers74 · 19/09/2022 12:07

I think dressing head to foot in ANY brand is a bit much. Seasalt isn't exactly cutting edge but I like some of their jumpers and coats. They're well made and practical without looking too much like an actual outdoor brand.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?