Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Seasalt..is it all considered frumpy?

214 replies

RejectedFleece · 19/09/2022 10:55

I have developed a particular love for Seasalt clothes..not the patterned things, but the basics like knitwear, trousers (the wide legged cords), the boots, the more tailored blazers etc..is it all considered frumpy? I'm also a Dr Marten, Kin etc kind of girl, so I try and mix it up a little.

OP posts:
Please
or

ballroompink · 23/09/2022 07:18

QuintessentialHedgehog · 22/09/2022 12:12

Seasalt frustrate me because the quality is generally SO good but the styles just...lack something. I can't put my finger on it. I mean, yes the louder prints are obviously not going to be everyone's taste etc. but I really WANT to love the plainer things they do. Then end up getting cross with them because they are much, much better quality than your average high street offering and at a reasonable price, but they just don't put the effort into the fit. Waists are far too high, is one issue - combined with the straight-ish skirts and jersey fabrics they favour just makes them look so unnecessarily droopy. I have the famous Janelle raincoat and always feel utterly meh in it because of the cut, but go back to it because it is warm and dry. Today I am currently wearing a plain cord Seasalt midi skirt which I do like, but again, just slightly more A-line or flared would be so much more flattering. I wish they would overhaul their cuts.

This is exactly it! As someone who doesn't suit black but really suits green and blue, I like the range of colours they use. Quality is great. But there is often something slightly 'off' about their lengths and cuts. Short skirts are not short enough. Midi skirts are often not quite midi or full enough. Waists too shapeless etc.

Please
or

FayCarew · 23/09/2022 08:16

If they are the best boots ever why are you needing to replace them, or are you buying different colours?

Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 23/09/2022 09:24

@Numbat2022 My life is pretty much like yours - well, actually almost exactly like yours. 2-3 days in the office, occasional lunch with friends, maybe dinner with husband every free months. Few gigs a year. 90% my time is spent doing colouring on the floor with a little person, folding laundry and doing nursery drops/pickups/kids' parties/soft play.

I still think it's possible to look, if not trendy, at least "non-frumpy" (sorry to those who hate the word). I don't necessarily think it needs to be all leggings and stretchy tunics, although I do have leggings for yoga and housework days.

I think the key is to get a few flattering items and keep a bit of a capsule. I know lots of people hate the capsule idea but it does make dressing easy. Basically you just ensure that your things go with each other so getting dressed is fast and easy.

I have 2 pairs of wide-leg trousers, from Baukjen and Uniqlo, which have elastic waist - I pair those with nice blouses/shirts for office and simple t-shirts for weekend. Uniqlo also does great joggers which looks tons smarter than most others - definitely great for playground. I also got some stretchy jumpsuits from Sweaty Betty andthe like. I wear a wool coat or leather jacket if milder to dress up pretty much any outfit. I have found that going simple in terms of design has really helped. I used to have a slightly happy style too, but I found that all those funky wide sleeves and tie-wrap waists etc were just so impractical.

Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 23/09/2022 09:26

Slightly hippy style! Happy style 🤣

Please
or

Mollysocks · 23/09/2022 10:02

Neverendingdust · 19/09/2022 15:43

It’s definitely a ’look’, not my style but certainly not frumpy. I see a lot of it whenever I’m in Cornwall (funnily enough). I Associate it with conservative liberal artsy people who go to festivals and antique fairs, shop in both Waitrose and Aldi and would have a Roberts radio in the kitchen? Likely to be married to Dom a lecturer who also has had a few books published? Their kids Ava and Max have higher than average reading ages.

I love how specific this is 🤭

Please
or

woodhill · 23/09/2022 10:10

I do agree about some of the cuts and they are sometimes high under the arms so I seem to sweat in them itms even though they are cotton

Trousers are not long enough in the waist for me

I like the jersey tops and will definitely want to buy a sleeveless wool tank top.

Please
or

Mollysocks · 23/09/2022 10:13

Pigtailsandall · 22/09/2022 20:08

@RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie FatFace is a surf term. It started off as a surfing brand.

No sorry that just isn’t true.

Fat Face started off selling clothing items at ski resorts and is named after a ski slope in Val-d'Isère.

Please
or

balalake · 23/09/2022 10:16

Clothes that last, what a refreshing change from much of the high street retail offering. Most of the time who cares or should care about how it looks.

Please
or

OceanbreezeSun · 23/09/2022 10:23

I had a look on their website after seeing this thread. I personally think it’s styled badly, nothing stood out to me or was very exciting to look at. It looks decent quality though (if abit on the expensive side)

I appreciate it’s just not my style though.

Please
or

SueDCreme · 23/09/2022 10:29

I have a couple of dresses and wear them with chunky silver jewellery, a denim jacket and white trainers, I'm 57

Had quite a few compliments as well. Which is always nice!

Please
or

ILoveShula · 23/09/2022 10:57

OceanbreezeSun · 23/09/2022 10:23

I had a look on their website after seeing this thread. I personally think it’s styled badly, nothing stood out to me or was very exciting to look at. It looks decent quality though (if abit on the expensive side)

I appreciate it’s just not my style though.

It's not expensive - we've got used to unbelievably cheap fast fashion, which makes well-made garments seem very expensive.

If you were an accomplished dressmaker who attempted to make a similar garment, it probably would cost as much without factoring in your time.

Please
or

ArabeI · 23/09/2022 12:14

Fat Face started off selling clothing items at ski resorts and is named after a ski slope in Val-d'Isère.

That's interesting. Though I think they used to have an outdoor-sy or surf shop atmosphere many years ago. Could just have been the coastal branch I used to visit, however!

Please
or

OceanbreezeSun · 23/09/2022 15:43

@ILoveShula

I see what you are saying but £70 for a cardigan that’s 45% nylon or a cotton dress for £70… yes, that’s expensive to me.
I wouldn’t pay that, but as I said in my earlier post, Seasalt clothes are not my style & I am not their customer.

Please
or

woodhill · 23/09/2022 15:49

I consider it expensive without the discounts or sales

Please
or

ILoveShula · 23/09/2022 16:01

@OceanbreezeSun , you don't like their style and you don't shop there, so it's no issue then is it. I've just got rid of some lovely cashmere and merino that had been eaten by moths, so a bit of nylon would probably help.

I'm not sure how much you'd expect to pay for a decent quality cotton dress or a cardigan. Compared to, say, Toast, SeaSalt seems quite reasonable, but it might be expensive compared to FatFace. Compared to somewhere like Tu, which has the odd gem, it does seem expensive.

The boots strike me as expensive because a pp said she was on her 3rd pair. I'd expect a pair of boots to last a few years, unless they were being worn every day and for things like walking several miles and driving.

Please
or

WrinklesShminkles · 23/09/2022 16:04

Mollysocks · 23/09/2022 10:13

No sorry that just isn’t true.

Wasn't White Stuff the surfing brand?

Please
or

ILoveShula · 23/09/2022 16:05

@OceanbreezeSun , I don't particularly think Toast is all that expensive either (way beyond my budget, and like Seasalt not really my style), because they are clothes that are well made and, if looked after, should last.

Please
or

woodhill · 23/09/2022 16:14

Skirts are a bit weird in Seasalt and then one I quite like only comes in one colour

Please
or

ILoveShula · 23/09/2022 16:15

SeaSalt have a generous discount for key workers, or so I'm told.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 23/09/2022 16:58

FayCarew · 23/09/2022 08:16

If they are the best boots ever why are you needing to replace them, or are you buying different colours?

Yes - this is the third colour.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 23/09/2022 16:59

@ILoveShula No. I've bought them in a third colour. They are fabulous quality.

Please
or

ILoveShula · 23/09/2022 17:02

@RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie , I read the earlier one from FayCarew and assumed that you were wearing them out.
That is quite a recommendation then.

I eat my words about them wearing out quickly. They have some nice footwear on the web site.

Please
or

woodhill · 23/09/2022 17:10

Which boots are they out of interest😀

Please
or

pompomdaisy · 23/09/2022 17:11

I lived in their plain summer tops on holiday. Fantastic.

Please
or

ILoveShula · 23/09/2022 17:19

The boots that one of us loves so much that she has them in 3 colours is the Conwenna

Ask @RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie for a full review.

I quite like a lot of them and shoes, and may or may not be at my local branch tomorrow trying some on. This thread has inspired me to shop there.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?