Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Seasalt..is it all considered frumpy?

214 replies

RejectedFleece · 19/09/2022 10:55

I have developed a particular love for Seasalt clothes..not the patterned things, but the basics like knitwear, trousers (the wide legged cords), the boots, the more tailored blazers etc..is it all considered frumpy? I'm also a Dr Marten, Kin etc kind of girl, so I try and mix it up a little.

OP posts:
Please
or

Doingmybest12 · 21/09/2022 07:53

MotherOfPuffling · 20/09/2022 09:44

Well this is embarrassing, you’ve basically described my life to a tee! (Well, before ex sodded off, but the less said about that the better) and my wardrobe is, yes, full of Seasalt 😂

I work in local government , a bit lefty, vegetarian, wear sea salt.I am a walking stereotype ! The best coat I have had was from sea salt. Last year I tried to mix it up with an expensive active brand but I am so disappointed in it, really annoyed with myself .

Please
or

ArabeI · 21/09/2022 10:14

pictish · 21/09/2022 07:04

Just had a wee shortie fair isle cardi for work delivered. It’s just lovely, a friend already. So soft and well finished off. Perfect for the chillier months in the building. I had a gift voucher, most gratefully received.

Is that the navy fair isle? I was thinking of getting that one.

Please
or

AquaticSewingMachine · 21/09/2022 10:29

IWillBeWaxingAnOwl · 19/09/2022 14:53

Me too! Very gendered insult based on not dressing sexy enough. there's something I do not like about only women being targeted with looking unsexy in how they dress.

While "frumpy" is definitely gendered, it is not about "not looking sexy enough". High fashion is often not at all sexy, even overtly "ugly". "Frumpy" to me means safe, unadventurous, quite possibly unflattering, and generally looks like little time and attention has been given to clothes.

Most people wouldn't really consider the overtly "sexy", skimpy clothes worn by teenagers and very young adults as fashionable; it's what teens like, but it's not fashionable, too obvious and too cheap. Most fashionable dressers don't look particularly sexy at all.

Please
or

Divebar2021 · 21/09/2022 12:39

Most fashionable dressers don't look particularly sexy at all

This was the basis of the fashion blog / influencer “ Man Repeller” - promoting the kind of fashion a million miles away from bodycon sexiness.

Please
or

AquaticSewingMachine · 21/09/2022 12:59

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

Please
or

AquaticSewingMachine · 21/09/2022 13:06

Yeah, it's like 20 years since bodycon was in fashion (anyone remember the Herve Leger bandage dress?). What's in fashion right now is those notoriously sexy silhouettes: big clumpy soles, wide-legs, and loose, boxy fits. And trainers. Super sexy... trainers.

I think the male parallel for "frumpy" is "sloppy/slobby". It's not a perfect parallel, there's a gendered/somewhat ageist element to "frumpy". But the key to frumpy is really not taking time and care. Plenty of people don't follow current fashion at all, but they have strong aesthetic sense and a strong sense of the "look" they want (say, people who favour a retro 50s or Bettie Page look) and no one would ever describe them as frumpy.

Please
or

FatMog · 21/09/2022 13:12

I'm 45 and have a few bits. They last for years. Recently the colours have gone a bit too sludgy for me. I only buy their coats and dresses, everything else has a poor fit. They are pricey but I buy when I can afford it.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 21/09/2022 17:11

But who's to say that people who wear Seasalt haven't taken time and care? They could have considered their outfit just as much as somebody wearing the most cutting-edge and possibly monstrous item from the catwalk and could've spent ages on makeup, hair etc. To dismiss them therefore as 'frumpy' and as not taking time and care in considering their appearance is insulting.

Please
or

AquaticSewingMachine · 21/09/2022 17:26

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 21/09/2022 17:11

But who's to say that people who wear Seasalt haven't taken time and care? They could have considered their outfit just as much as somebody wearing the most cutting-edge and possibly monstrous item from the catwalk and could've spent ages on makeup, hair etc. To dismiss them therefore as 'frumpy' and as not taking time and care in considering their appearance is insulting.

...which would be why I didn't... do that? I was talking about what "frumpy" means and why I think it has little to do with "not sexy". I didn't refer to Seasalt, or people who wear it, at all.

If you have a clear look you like and give time and attention to how you put clothes together, you probably won't look frumpy no matter what brand you are wearing. But some items of clothing are very... safe and conservative, or just straight up not aesthetically appealing, in cut or colour or pattern, and wearing those will increase the chances that your clothing reads to someone as "frumpy".

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 21/09/2022 17:38

AquaticSewingMachine · 21/09/2022 17:26

...which would be why I didn't... do that? I was talking about what "frumpy" means and why I think it has little to do with "not sexy". I didn't refer to Seasalt, or people who wear it, at all.

If you have a clear look you like and give time and attention to how you put clothes together, you probably won't look frumpy no matter what brand you are wearing. But some items of clothing are very... safe and conservative, or just straight up not aesthetically appealing, in cut or colour or pattern, and wearing those will increase the chances that your clothing reads to someone as "frumpy".

No, I know you didn't. My point was intended generally, which is why I didn't name you. Plenty of people on here say (insultingly and dismissively imo) that the entire brand is 'frumpy' whoever is wearing it, dismissing any sense that people could still bring their own personal style and attention to detail to it.

I dislike the whole idea of a tunic, for example, but wouldn't dismiss it out of hand as 'frumpy' because one's look is dependent on so much more than one item of clothing, wherever it's from. Equally, just because somebody wears the latest item from Prada (or wherever) it doesn't in itself make them intrinsically stylish.

Please
or

ImAvingOops · 21/09/2022 17:39

Wearing sea salt doesn't mean they don't care about appearance, more that it's a safe pair of hands, so that the wearer doesn't have to think too much about it - the clothes are pleasant and durable, not fashionable or sexy. They'll be suitable for list day to day.
'Frumpy' to me implies ill fitting, unflattering, zero consideration of trends - wanting to be invisible. Wanting to blend in and be occasion appropriate isn't the same thing. Anything can be 'frumpy' if it doesn't fit well or suit the wearer.

Please
or

thedevilinablackdress · 21/09/2022 17:51

I wear Seasalt and I give a fair bit of thought to my appearance. I enjoy clothes, style and keeping an eye on trends.
Seasalt is just part of my wardrobe along with Cos, Levi's, lots of vintage etc. etc. I pick the bits I like.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 21/09/2022 18:09

That is pretty much my approach @thedevilinablackdress.
I choose the Seasalt clothes that I wear very carefully. I go for the brighter colours which suit me. Often when I go into a Seasalt shop I will come out empty handed because there is nothing but muted colours available.

Please
or

LoisWilkersonslastnerve · 21/09/2022 18:16

I don't like the word frumpy. I'd describe Seasalter, Bodenham etc as 'safe'. Comfortable, good quality, inoffensive etc it's not a look I aspire to at all but I think if you like it then go for it. If you want to jazz it up a bit maybe go for a bright lipstick or be a bit bold with your jewellery.

Please
or

LoisWilkersonslastnerve · 21/09/2022 18:17

Seasalter, Bodenham 🤭

Please
or

BridgeOverTheRiverWye · 21/09/2022 19:16

You don't have to buy the SeaSalt/Boden/Joules/whatever look. You can buy separates or a coat or dress or whatever that works for you.

I find the patterns aren't for me, but the quality is good, and if the cut works for you then why not buy it from them.

The SeaSalt shop near me always has something that catches my eye in the window. It was something in a blackberry cord the last time, but the shop was closed and I was in a hurry

Please
or

FirstandLastBorn · 21/09/2022 19:52

Am I the only one who likes their patterns? 😂

Actually, I'd never looked at Seasalt until this summer when I was desperate to find something to wear for a wedding. Being a short arse there aren't many places that do cotton dresses that fit.

Anyway, I bought 8 dresses to try and sent 6 back but the 2 I kept look amazing on me, even though they didn't look great online or out of the package. Who would have thought? And yes, they are patterned. One is organic cotton and is lined! How many dresses are lined these days?

Please
or

KirstenBlest · 21/09/2022 20:10

My DM loves Seasalt. She's in her 70s but she gets lots of comments, including from much younger women about her clothes. Even her DGC say she's trendy.
I like some of their patterns. The quality is great, as is the range of sizes they do.

Please
or

User1754983 · 21/09/2022 20:21

I like the patterns @FirstandLastBorn , I'm tall and wear a lot of the patterned tunics, I also like the patterned dresses which I buy in the tall length

Please
or

User1754983 · 21/09/2022 20:23

Actually I noticed there was money off at the moment so I might pop on the website and have a look

Please
or

pictish · 21/09/2022 20:36

ArabeI · 21/09/2022 10:14

Is that the navy fair isle? I was thinking of getting that one.

Yep. It’s the navy cotton one. It’s short mind, just sits on the waist…which is how I like it.

Please
or

woodhill · 21/09/2022 21:06

I've got a brilliant discount code so will definitely buying from Seasalt this autumn

Please
or

Subbaxeo · 21/09/2022 22:02

I think it’s kind of frumpy in the same vein as White Stuff, Fat Face (how did they get away with calling a clothes shop Fat Face) etc-the sort of clothes people buy if they want to look ‘nice’ but aren’t interested in fashion. I think they aim for the comfy look where no one has to hold their stomach in or cripple themselves. I wouldn’t class them the same as Boden as Boden always had more interesting shapes even if the patterns were often frightful. I don’t wear fashionable clothes so wouldn’t be insulted if someone called my style frumpy.

Please
or

SparkyBlue · 22/09/2022 08:48

Some of the comments on here are a bit mental. Why would wearing seasalt mean a person has no interest in fashion. Are people actually saying that most people go around looking like something from a fashion magazine on a day to day basis. I've a sick toddler (and been awake half the night) so need to try get a gp appointment this morning or else take her to a walk in service. Normally I'd be helping out at a toddler group today and then I'll have two school collections which is a big rush as one child has SN so attends a different school. Oh and to add to the excitement of my life I'll be getting my click and collect from tesco. It's also bucketing rain down. So just making the point that I'll wear something comfortable and make myself presentable but won't be winning any style awards today. That does not mean I've zero interest in fashion, quite the opposite in fact but I definitely have my own style that works for my height (4"11) and shape and lifestyle

Please
or

RampantIvy · 22/09/2022 09:33

Well said @SparkyBlue.
I really dislike these kind of derogatory comments aimed at women to bring them down.

I hope your toddler feels better soon Flowers

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?