Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Seasalt..is it all considered frumpy?

214 replies

RejectedFleece · 19/09/2022 10:55

I have developed a particular love for Seasalt clothes..not the patterned things, but the basics like knitwear, trousers (the wide legged cords), the boots, the more tailored blazers etc..is it all considered frumpy? I'm also a Dr Marten, Kin etc kind of girl, so I try and mix it up a little.

OP posts:
Please
or

woodhill · 19/09/2022 17:14

Some of the midi dresses look quite nice, are they any more "frumpy" than what is being sold by M&S etc

I'm not keen on the tunic look

Please
or

StridTheKiller · 19/09/2022 21:39

It's considered frumpy on here, but not in real life.

Please
or

Myotherdogsaballboy · 20/09/2022 06:45

AuntieJoyce. That's my local one too. I start in Anthropology where I can't afford anything and everything is too long or too cropped. Then I look round Seasalt, try stuff on and it looks all wrong on me, then to And Other Stories where I try stuff on and it looks all wrong on me. Then Cos where the same thing happens, I Skip Tommy Hilfiger as that's too expensive and not me either, skip Russell and Bromley because that's also too expensive as is White Company. I
then end up in John Lewis where I generally do a bit better.

Please
or

tsatr · 20/09/2022 07:30

I like the plain items but wish they did cooler, brighter colours too. Also I agree with pp’s about the cropped jumpsuits being flattering on me. Teen dd has several of the patterned shirts and wears them under dungarees.

Please
or

User1754983 · 20/09/2022 07:43

I shop there and I'm mid 60s, I don't think they are really sized and styled for the younger woman so might look frumpy because of that

Please
or

User1754983 · 20/09/2022 07:47

I wear the patterned tunics because I am tall and old and they are easy to wear, I wouldn't have worn them in my younger days but they fit me better that most stuff, they also sell taller sizes which is a bonus for coats, dresses and trousers

Please
or

trailrunner85 · 20/09/2022 08:06

People find Seasalt an easy option because it's so "safe." Like Boden/Joules/White Stuff/Fat Face, the clothes are cut generously and are accommodating of wobbly bits.
And those brands are also safe in terms of style - with the vibe of "outdoorsy" clothes for people who don't do any exercise once they're outdoors, aside from perhaps pottering to a tea room or round an NT property.
You can't move for Seasalt tunics, leggings and clumpy boots in the centre of Keswick, for example (often teamed with huge earrings and/or a scarf to look a bit "jazzy"), but they're never actually seen up a fell.
I can absolutely see the appeal - you can walk into a Seasalt shop, buy something in your usual size, and know it will a) fit, b) wash well and c) go with everything you own. There's something very reassuring about that.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 20/09/2022 09:28

tsatr · 20/09/2022 07:30

I like the plain items but wish they did cooler, brighter colours too. Also I agree with pp’s about the cropped jumpsuits being flattering on me. Teen dd has several of the patterned shirts and wears them under dungarees.

I agree about brighter, plain colours. Although it would be dangerous for my bank account.

Please
or

MotherOfPuffling · 20/09/2022 09:44

Neverendingdust · 19/09/2022 15:43

It’s definitely a ’look’, not my style but certainly not frumpy. I see a lot of it whenever I’m in Cornwall (funnily enough). I Associate it with conservative liberal artsy people who go to festivals and antique fairs, shop in both Waitrose and Aldi and would have a Roberts radio in the kitchen? Likely to be married to Dom a lecturer who also has had a few books published? Their kids Ava and Max have higher than average reading ages.

Well this is embarrassing, you’ve basically described my life to a tee! (Well, before ex sodded off, but the less said about that the better) and my wardrobe is, yes, full of Seasalt 😂

Please
or

MotherOfPuffling · 20/09/2022 09:45

Oh and yes, I’m from Cornwall though have moved!

Please
or

RejectedFleece · 20/09/2022 10:53

I do have a Roberts radio, but no jazzy earrings or floral scarf 🙃

OP posts:
Please
or

xogossipgirlxo · 20/09/2022 11:35

For me, their products look frumpy or are styled wrong way. Some dresses are nice, but I see them more with heeled shoes over comfy flats and I think that's why.

Please
or

moggerhanger · 20/09/2022 14:02

trailrunner85 · 20/09/2022 08:06

People find Seasalt an easy option because it's so "safe." Like Boden/Joules/White Stuff/Fat Face, the clothes are cut generously and are accommodating of wobbly bits.
And those brands are also safe in terms of style - with the vibe of "outdoorsy" clothes for people who don't do any exercise once they're outdoors, aside from perhaps pottering to a tea room or round an NT property.
You can't move for Seasalt tunics, leggings and clumpy boots in the centre of Keswick, for example (often teamed with huge earrings and/or a scarf to look a bit "jazzy"), but they're never actually seen up a fell.
I can absolutely see the appeal - you can walk into a Seasalt shop, buy something in your usual size, and know it will a) fit, b) wash well and c) go with everything you own. There's something very reassuring about that.

Well no, of course you wouldn't wear it up a fell. That's for your Mountain Equipment/Patagonia/ Craghoppers/North Face/Rab stuff. But if you wear it to mooch about town then you get accused of frumpdom then too. Us outdoor lovers can't win 😉

Please
or

AuntieJoyce · 20/09/2022 14:22

@Myotherdogsaballboy I usually end up in anthropologie with a plate. Having set out for a jumper

Please
or

Suzi888 · 20/09/2022 14:28

Target market is 40+ so depends how old you are I guess.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 20/09/2022 19:27

AuntieJoyce · 20/09/2022 14:22

@Myotherdogsaballboy I usually end up in anthropologie with a plate. Having set out for a jumper

This really made me smile. I'm imaging you trying to use several strategically placed plates to make up for your sartorial gaps, as it were.

Please
or

mewkins · 20/09/2022 19:47

ImAvingOops · 19/09/2022 11:59

Honestly (and without judgement) I think their clothes are for people who want to look presentable and 'nice' but who have little interest in style or fashion - they want to fit in and not stand out. The clothes will look acceptable for shopping or going to work or doing a school run, so are the kind of thing you can put on and forget about.

I disagree. I love fashion but I also want stuff that will last well and yes I want some cotton! You can easily find good basics (knitwear especially) that will last you years and you can mix with plenty of more edgy things.

Please
or

Myotherdogsaballboy · 20/09/2022 19:56

AuntieJoyce · Today 14:22

I came out with a candlestick that was in the sale last time I looked. Doesn't help that the sale stuff is on the tables just by the entrance. I love their bowls and plates .

Please
or

stickybear · 20/09/2022 20:12

I love some of the plainer things in Seasalt and I really like the styling in their catalogue. I want to go and live in St Ives and waft about looking all wholesome and artistic Grin I do also have a really pretty tunic that I bought in the sale last year. I don't think it's particularly frumpy but I don't really know how to wear it at the moment, now that skinny jeans are out and trousers are all so much wider. Can anyone think of a non-frumpy way to style a tunic / longline top at the moment? Sadly it's definitely too short to wear as a dress

Please
or

MotherofPearl · 20/09/2022 20:26

I hadn't realised the Vladimir was unclaimed! Nique, lucky you! Perhaps you might let me borrow it (on the pearl setting, obviously) occasionally.

Please
or

MotherofPearl · 20/09/2022 20:27

Wrong thread, sorry!

Please
or

Sexnotgender · 20/09/2022 20:28

I used to like it but the last few things have been poor quality and not sat very nicely.

They can verge into frumpy depending on how you style them.

Please
or

Cruisebabe1 · 20/09/2022 20:39

woodhill · 19/09/2022 11:55

I love Seasalt

I think some of the patterns are not really me but the tops I have are excellent and I bought a dress this Summer. Also liked the jumpsuits

Always have my eye on something

Same here love Seasalt items

Please
or

SommerTen · 20/09/2022 21:34

I don't like Seasalt and similar shops, which is lucky as I can't afford them anyway!
I can just about afford a dress from River Island as long as I use my Blue Light Card for discount!

Please
or

pictish · 21/09/2022 07:04

Just had a wee shortie fair isle cardi for work delivered. It’s just lovely, a friend already. So soft and well finished off. Perfect for the chillier months in the building. I had a gift voucher, most gratefully received.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?