Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Seasalt..is it all considered frumpy?

214 replies

RejectedFleece · 19/09/2022 10:55

I have developed a particular love for Seasalt clothes..not the patterned things, but the basics like knitwear, trousers (the wide legged cords), the boots, the more tailored blazers etc..is it all considered frumpy? I'm also a Dr Marten, Kin etc kind of girl, so I try and mix it up a little.

OP posts:
Please
or

soulinablackberrypie · 22/09/2022 09:37

I hope not because I really like some of their stuff, especially the short, brightly coloured cardigans. But if someone said they were frumpy I wouldn't stop wearing them. I don't think of my style as frumpy but it wouldn't really bother me if other people did - it's what suits me.

Please
or

hoorayandupsherises · 22/09/2022 12:05

I love to follow trends a bit and have stuff from Seasalt - not mutually exclusive! I think the frumpy thing comes from it being fairly recognisable if you're head to toe in it (like Boden/Joules/Fatface - I live in France and will often speak straightaway in English to people wearing a full outfit in these kinds of brands, don't know how to describe it really, just look very British (as do I, I hasten to add)). But life's too short not to wear colours and prints, in my very humble opinion!

Please
or

Rosehugger · 22/09/2022 12:10

Who cares, it how you feel about it that matters.

I've worn fashionable high necked, long sleeved midi dresses recently that would have been considered frumpy when I was younger in the 1990s.

Please
or

QuintessentialHedgehog · 22/09/2022 12:12

Seasalt frustrate me because the quality is generally SO good but the styles just...lack something. I can't put my finger on it. I mean, yes the louder prints are obviously not going to be everyone's taste etc. but I really WANT to love the plainer things they do. Then end up getting cross with them because they are much, much better quality than your average high street offering and at a reasonable price, but they just don't put the effort into the fit. Waists are far too high, is one issue - combined with the straight-ish skirts and jersey fabrics they favour just makes them look so unnecessarily droopy. I have the famous Janelle raincoat and always feel utterly meh in it because of the cut, but go back to it because it is warm and dry. Today I am currently wearing a plain cord Seasalt midi skirt which I do like, but again, just slightly more A-line or flared would be so much more flattering. I wish they would overhaul their cuts.

Please
or

WhoppingBigBackside · 22/09/2022 12:23

@QuintessentialHedgehog , are you taller than average? I have a feeling that they cut more for the fairly average woman.
Could you get the clothes altered slightly? Maybe a dart or two would make a difference

Please
or

Rosehugger · 22/09/2022 12:27

Yes, I don't always find the cut great and stuff is high waisted on me, and I don't care for some of their patterns. But I have a fantastic raincoat from there which I wear a lot and have a had a few nice skirts and dresses- always with pockets, which I love. I just assume I'm not the target audience for most of their things. I'm more Oliver Bonas than Seasalt.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 22/09/2022 12:32

@QuintessentialHedgehog , are you taller than average? I have a feeling that they cut more for the fairly average woman.
Could you get the clothes altered slightly? Maybe a dart or two would make a difference

I'm 5'7" and find that their clothes fit me well. My wide leg linen trousers are just the right length and so are the jeggings. Their midi dresses are the right length of midi on me as well. I don't really wear skirts so I can't comment on them.

Please
or

MuddlerInLaw · 22/09/2022 12:48

I don't think fashion is "empty". It reflects the cultural trends and zeitgeist. It can be powerful and empowering. It's not un-problematic but calling fashion empty is a bit reductionist.

Thank you.

Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 22/09/2022 12:49

I think if someone starts a thread asking, Is this frumpy... then it's completely reasonable to answer, Yes it is. Clearly the OP had a feeling/inclination that it might be which is why they asked the question? I dunno, I think all brands have a target audience and Seasalt definitely has theirs. That doesn't mean it's not good quality etc etc.

I also feel that their designs being referred to as "timeless" isn't exactly correct. They just produce the same style stuff consistently but it doesn't actually mean it's timeless, it's just brand-specific.

I just had a look, out of interest, and lots of the stuff looks the same as ten years ago, in slightly different print. I remember visiting their shop in Cornwall ~10 years ago thinking they did nice cotton things but feeling thoroughly uninspired by it all. Socks still look nice and fluffy.

Please
or

QuintessentialHedgehog · 22/09/2022 13:06

No, I'm actually shorter! I agree with @RampantIvy that the lengths of skirts and dresses are good, plus I LOVE that they do a choice of up to three different lengths and bother to tell you online what the actual length is going to be, so there is a real element of choice there. I can't face alterations as I'm not knowledgeable enough to give clear instructions to a tailor and it adds hugely to the price.

Thing is, I do think I'm sort of their target audience. Mid thirties, don't need high fashion, want good quality and decent ethics in the way clothes are made, want attractive but practical everyday clothes that work for a lifestyle including a smart-casual workplace and life with small children. But that doesn't mean I don't want well-cut clothes! There is a lot of middle ground between "frumpy" cuts and "high fashion/really sexy". I used to like Hobbs, but they are too formal for everyday clothes, too expensive, and often use poor quality fabrics. Oliver Bonas mostly too high fashion (i.e. feel like short-term wear) and again, poor fabrics. But Seasalt could work so much better than they do, with just some very slight tweaks.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 22/09/2022 18:14

I agree with lots here:

The waists on dresses often too high (I'm short waisted, so high waists make me look all tit and no body) although I do have one dress from there that I love

The stuff isn't 'timeless' in the sense I think that means (a perfect white shirt/pencil skirt/biker jacket etc) that could be wearable across a decade and still look relatively in fitting - instead, they just seem to repeat things in slightly different colours/patterns. The only things I'd say are perhaps 'timeless' are the striped t-shirts and the odd slightly 50s style summer cotton dress.

The Janelle coat probably won't look stylish or flattering on anybody, but my gosh it's cosy and keeps you dry - and sometimes that's all that matters!

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 22/09/2022 18:15

Oliver Bonas fabrics are so, so awful for the most part. It's a shame as I do quite like the look of a few of their things.

Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 22/09/2022 18:23

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 22/09/2022 18:15

Oliver Bonas fabrics are so, so awful for the most part. It's a shame as I do quite like the look of a few of their things.

Yes, I habitually go into Oliver Bonas to look at things and bulk at the awful quality. I never buy anything.

FatFace is a funny one - we had one close to where I worked but again I rarely bought anything, apart from a very soft navy cotton hoodie which is still my favourite. I always think of Fatface as sort of conservative kids go on a surf camp -look.

Please
or

Floisme · 22/09/2022 18:25

I think the comments about the cut and/or fit are fair - that's what I was trying to say upthread about their trousers. The knitwear and jackets work better for me.
And I agree about the Janelle coat. I've tried to find a replacement but it's so bloody effective and there are at least a couple of days every winter when I'm very grateful to have it.

Please
or

woodhill · 22/09/2022 19:12

QuintessentialHedgehog · 22/09/2022 12:12

Seasalt frustrate me because the quality is generally SO good but the styles just...lack something. I can't put my finger on it. I mean, yes the louder prints are obviously not going to be everyone's taste etc. but I really WANT to love the plainer things they do. Then end up getting cross with them because they are much, much better quality than your average high street offering and at a reasonable price, but they just don't put the effort into the fit. Waists are far too high, is one issue - combined with the straight-ish skirts and jersey fabrics they favour just makes them look so unnecessarily droopy. I have the famous Janelle raincoat and always feel utterly meh in it because of the cut, but go back to it because it is warm and dry. Today I am currently wearing a plain cord Seasalt midi skirt which I do like, but again, just slightly more A-line or flared would be so much more flattering. I wish they would overhaul their cuts.

Yes the waists are too high on dresses but this seems to be the case with most stuff tbh

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 22/09/2022 19:31

Re Fatface:

• why had I never even considered what a ridiculous name it is?!
  • I dislike lots of it and the sizing is absolutely all over the place
  • I mostly hate the colours - so much bloody blue
  • BUT a couple of my absolute favourite dresses are from there, and also a couple of my favourite summer tops (white/cotton/broderie)
Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 22/09/2022 20:08

@RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie FatFace is a surf term. It started off as a surfing brand.

Please
or

BestIsWest · 22/09/2022 20:11

We have very few decent shops down our way - M&S, Joules, White Stuff and Seasalt are about the sum of it. I have to go 50 miles to the nearest place with a John Lewis. Nearly all my clothes come from one of the above.

I work almost entirely with men who wear nothing but jeans and hoodies and t-shirts. The one other woman in my department also wears jeans and hoodies. She looks great. I hate hoodies (can’t stand the feel of sweatshirt material) so I wear either jeans and knitwear or jersey dresses - Seasalt is perfect for this. I love the look of more cutting edge stuff like Cos but can never manage it and would feel ridiculous wearing it among the hoodies.
I had a brief flirtation with tunics when we were WFH but it was a failed experiment. I need fitted up top - and tunics DID make me look badly dressed (frumpy if you must)

I also look my best in blue though Grin which is another reason I like Seasalt so much.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 22/09/2022 20:37

@Pigtailsandall Thank you. I have learned something!

@BestIsWest You are very welcome to all the blue. Grin Fatface currently have a couple of green dresses that I want to try on. I'm sure many on here would see them as 'frumpy' but, frankly, they can fuck off.

Please
or

ILoveShula · 22/09/2022 20:50

I'm slightly put off by all the blues, greens and yellows. i think I need clearer colours

Please
or

RejectedFleece · 22/09/2022 21:17

I was in Seasalt today..they had some brighter colours in today, particularly in the "fruity" jumpers, which are great..and there is also 35% off with your blue light card, which works out more than the current, still brilliant, offer on the website.

OP posts:
Please
or

Numbat2022 · 22/09/2022 21:25

Grapefaced · 19/09/2022 12:12

It does have a particular 'look' or 'image' to it. Middle class mum in her 40s who had kids in her late 30s and is far too busy taking little Teddy and Elsie to all of their extra circular activities to care about anything as frivolous as fashion anymore.

See also Joules, Boden, Fat Face and White Stuff.

I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion by any means. I'm also in my 40s. But it all just screams middle class aspirational wannabe to me.

Ok, well this is me besides the extra curricular activities. Where do you suggest I shop? I like fashion, always have, but I work full time, mostly at home, and have a small child. If I go out it's for dinner, I'm not going out clubbing anymore - mainly because of the small child waking up in the morning, also because all my friends have small children too. I used to be a bit alternative/gothy/hippy, not full on art teacher but a lot of Monsoon or skinny black jeans and silver jewellery.

I have nothing to get dressed up for, besides the odd day in the office or lunch with friends. Most of my weekends are spent in playgrounds or soft play, or doing housework along with playing with my child. I just need comfy, practical clothes. Seasalt does the job. It's not that I don't want to look fashionable, it's that I have no need to and it's impractical for my life now.

I very much hope that in 10+ years I'll be able to go out at night again and I'll have reason to buy more interesting clothes! 😂

Please
or

Ritasueandbobtoo9 · 22/09/2022 21:28

Makes me look fat and frumpy! Like square shaped.

Please
or

woodhill · 22/09/2022 21:51

RejectedFleece · 22/09/2022 21:17

I was in Seasalt today..they had some brighter colours in today, particularly in the "fruity" jumpers, which are great..and there is also 35% off with your blue light card, which works out more than the current, still brilliant, offer on the website.

Yes, I'm definitely going to use that discount

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 23/09/2022 06:51

Just ordered my third pair of Conwenna boots with 35% off. They are the best boots ever imo!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?