Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Seasalt..is it all considered frumpy?

214 replies

RejectedFleece · 19/09/2022 10:55

I have developed a particular love for Seasalt clothes..not the patterned things, but the basics like knitwear, trousers (the wide legged cords), the boots, the more tailored blazers etc..is it all considered frumpy? I'm also a Dr Marten, Kin etc kind of girl, so I try and mix it up a little.

OP posts:
Please
or

Comfyslippers74 · 19/09/2022 12:08

BTW I agree that "mumsy" and "frumpy" are really sexist words. Never seen a man described as "dadsy".

Please
or

UserNameNameNameUser · 19/09/2022 12:08

I think there is a dichotomy to Seasalt.

Their basics in plain colours are good quality stylish staples.

However a lot of their patterns would be equally at home in Bon Marche.

Please
or

Grapefaced · 19/09/2022 12:12

It does have a particular 'look' or 'image' to it. Middle class mum in her 40s who had kids in her late 30s and is far too busy taking little Teddy and Elsie to all of their extra circular activities to care about anything as frivolous as fashion anymore.

See also Joules, Boden, Fat Face and White Stuff.

I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion by any means. I'm also in my 40s. But it all just screams middle class aspirational wannabe to me.

Please
or

pictish · 19/09/2022 12:13

I’m not sold on Joules (don’t like spots or florals) or White Stuff (insipid).

Please
or

woodhill · 19/09/2022 12:14

The tops keep their shape and are cotton which is what I want

The easel tops are good for layering

Their trousers don't fit me particularly

Please
or

pictish · 19/09/2022 12:15

I love Boden fit and quality. Haven’t seen anything there that has enticed me to part with the cash for a long time though.

Please
or

woodhill · 19/09/2022 12:15

I used to love Boden, I suppose Seasalt has replaced it for me. The sizes are more generous

Please
or

woodhill · 19/09/2022 12:16

It does have a particular 'look' or 'image' to it. Middle class mum in her 40s who had kids in her late 30s and is far too busy taking little Teddy and Elsie to all of their extra circular activities to care about anything as frivolous as fashion anymore.

I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion by any means. I'm also in my 40s. But it all just screams middle class aspirational wannabe to me.

What do you wear though?

Please
or

RejectedFleece · 19/09/2022 12:21

For added context I'm 52, and I don't wear joules, or raincoats or scarves. I do like a clumpy, good quality, sometimes a bit different boot.

OP posts:
Please
or

moggerhanger · 19/09/2022 12:22

I have the turtle neck jumper dress twice over, in navy and brown. I care not a jot if others would deem it frumpy, I feel great when I wear it (and it's so warm!)

Not a fan of the very patterned dresses though.

Please
or

RudsyFarmer · 19/09/2022 12:22

I have the most simple Seasalt dress that is the most beautiful fit when on. It’s quite Mormonesque but beautiful. I bought a snood recently too so I think it’s going to become a brand I buy more of (I’m nearly 50 so certainly not in the cutting edge of fashion 🤣🤣).

Please
or

Grapefaced · 19/09/2022 12:25

woodhill · 19/09/2022 12:16

What do you wear though?

At the minute jeans with a sweat shirt, checked shirt or jumper with trainers or DMS
Or a short dress with tights and boots
In the summer, I'd wear a maxi dress

Like I said I'm not particularly fashionable. But it's what I like.

Please
or

RudsyFarmer · 19/09/2022 12:25

That post does sound a little catty.

you could also say that all young women buy PLT and ASOS clothes and you’d probably be mostly right. As you age your taste changes. I don’t want to wear short skirts and crop tops anymore. I want elegant, classic and tasteful with a twist sometimes.

Please
or

ArabeI · 19/09/2022 12:27

I see an occasional thing I like in there. Usually a cardigan, and I bought a lovely one (wool mix) last year. My most recent purchase was a cord mini skirt.

It's worth a look, as it's good quality, though there's a lot of sludge colours generally, which seems to be a common criticism, and some of the lengths, for example, of the dresses aren't flattering (I'm only slightly above average height). I've looked in there since my late 20s.

I've really gone off Boden, similar to another poster. The quality is better at Seasalt in my opinion anyway.

Please
or

Grapefaced · 19/09/2022 12:27

Most of my clothes are from New Look, Next (because they make jeans for short people) and my absolute favourite dresses cost me £14 from Asda. So I bought one in every colour. 😀

Please
or

pictish · 19/09/2022 12:28

Have to say, I also have a simple green linen Seasalt dress with pockets and three quarter length sleeves. I slip it on for cba days and get compliments on how nice it is, every time.
Their fabrics hang well.

Please
or

Grapefaced · 19/09/2022 12:30

ArabeI · 19/09/2022 12:27

I see an occasional thing I like in there. Usually a cardigan, and I bought a lovely one (wool mix) last year. My most recent purchase was a cord mini skirt.

It's worth a look, as it's good quality, though there's a lot of sludge colours generally, which seems to be a common criticism, and some of the lengths, for example, of the dresses aren't flattering (I'm only slightly above average height). I've looked in there since my late 20s.

I've really gone off Boden, similar to another poster. The quality is better at Seasalt in my opinion anyway.

I agree that a lot of it is the cut and length of things. Most of the dresses and skirts are that not quite knee length/not quite midi that would make even the tallest and thinnest woman look awful.

I

Please
or

jay55 · 19/09/2022 12:31

For my pear shape their dresses work well for me for work.
I'm aiming for tidy and comfortable rather than chic though so don't mind if anyone thinks me frumpy.

Please
or

Pigtailsandall · 19/09/2022 12:35

I don't think fashion is "empty". It reflects the cultural trends and zeitgeist. It can be powerful and empowering. It's not un-problematic but calling fashion empty is a bit reductionist.

Anyway, my 71-year old MIL loves Seasalt so I do see it as appealing to older women. I'm not a fan of the prints but the said MIL did gift me some seasalt socks and they've lasted brilliantly well.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 19/09/2022 12:37

I have gone off it quite a lot since realising my MiL wears it at 77.

Please
or

ImAvingOops · 19/09/2022 12:41

Clothes are a lot more 'ageless' though now. Obviously there are still brands that are associated with teenagers and ones associated with older people but these days everyone wears converse, and buys things from Zara or Primark. When I was a kid there wasn't really much that crossed over all generations.

Please
or

BruceWaynettaSlob · 19/09/2022 12:42

It's considered a frumpy shop but noone is going to look at you in plain basics and know you got them in Seasalt and think, "gosh, what a frightful frump."

Please
or

woodhill · 19/09/2022 12:43

It's a make that fits me. I need smart/casual stuff for work

I still by the odd thing from White stuff and Fatface

Most trousers from M&S

I used to like Laura Ashley

Please
or

Windinthepillows · 19/09/2022 12:45

A ‘frumpy’ shop. Charming!

Please
or

Windinthepillows · 19/09/2022 12:47

@Grapefaced sour grapes maybe!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?