My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Whether you're into football, athletics, tennis, golf or cricket, join the dicsussion on our Sport forum.

Sports

Equestrian Eventing thread

152 replies

Honeyroar · 30/07/2021 00:13

Anyone up and going to watch the dressage? I thought I’d start a new thread for the next few days of eventing.

OP posts:
Honeyroar · 30/07/2021 09:46

Nobody watching?

OP posts:
countrygirl99 · 30/07/2021 09:49

Far too busy at work to be up watching 😔

Iknowthiswillendbutwhen · 30/07/2021 09:52

I'm trying to watch!

Stayed up for Oliver last night (of whom I am not a huge fan). Then tuned in this morning and missed it. I'm finding the schedules difficult to follow.

Honeyroar · 30/07/2021 10:05

Laura just did her test. It was lovely and goes into fourth.

No I’m not a huge fan of Oliver, despite him being from my area, but he is a undoubtedly a superb rider with a cracking string of results. I’d just not want to send a horse to him.

OP posts:
Honeyroar · 30/07/2021 10:07

What are you watching it on? It’s easy to get lost in the Discovery + showings. It pauses if you leave it for a moment- so you end up not watching live and all the times are wrong if you’re not careful.

OP posts:
cherrytree63 · 30/07/2021 10:09

I'll be watching the replay later. Is Lucinda commentating?

Iknowthiswillendbutwhen · 30/07/2021 10:31

I'm abroad and relying on the Beeb, so tiny snippets. Hopeless. I hope their coverage of the XC is better but tbh I'm beginning to think the Beeb have something against equestrian sports. Every other sport, however obscure, is prioritised above it.

Bryonyshcmyony · 30/07/2021 10:34

Hi. I like Oliver and think he's a bloody good rider. I'd prefer Laura Collett to beat him though! I'm still gutted Piggy isn't there.

Iknowthiswillendbutwhen · 30/07/2021 10:35

Btw ...as a total aside ...the mention of Lucinda has set me off ...

Whatever happened to Ginny Elliott (formerly Leng)? Is she still involved in the sport?

(Showing my age here Grin)

Bryonyshcmyony · 30/07/2021 10:39

I think she's a trainer?

Honeyroar · 30/07/2021 10:40

She trained a team for a while, didn’t she?

I’m gutted Ross Canter isn’t on the team. It must be awful having travelled all that way with your horse. Although from her posts on Facebook she’s enjoying the Olympic experience anyway. It will mean she misses the Europeans too though.

OP posts:
gingercat02 · 30/07/2021 11:26

@Iknowthiswillendbutwhen

Btw ...as a total aside ...the mention of Lucinda has set me off ...

Whatever happened to Ginny Elliott (formerly Leng)? Is she still involved in the sport?

(Showing my age here Grin)

Ginny was the Irish eventing coach for a while. My cousins husband is an Irish event rider but the non travelling replacement this year. He rode in London 2012. It's an amazing sport but the BBC coverage of the Toyoko games has been awful
Iknowthiswillendbutwhen · 30/07/2021 11:33

Thanks Gingercat02 and Honeyroar. She was just such a prominent figure in the sport and you don't hear as much about her as you do Mary & Lucinda and others.

Iknowthiswillendbutwhen · 30/07/2021 11:34

This info about scheduling might be helpful:

www.britisheventing.com/news/how-to-watch-the-eventing-in-toyko-2020

Honeyroar · 30/07/2021 11:47

That German score was a shock.

OP posts:
gingercat02 · 30/07/2021 16:43

I'm watching on iPlayer now but Eurosport seems to be free on my SkyQ not sure it was before (football mad DS says not)

gingercat02 · 30/07/2021 16:56

There were about 6 riders on and then they went to the rowing 😪 Clare Balding needs to have a word!

Honeyroar · 31/07/2021 01:02

Anyone watching tonight?

OP posts:
Bryonyshcmyony · 31/07/2021 06:44

Not me, eventing myself today (well dd!)

Toastfiendish · 31/07/2021 06:48

I'm planning to stay up tonight and watch the XC. Can't believe we're leading after dressage! Does the format mean now that they can't drop a bad round? Let's hope they all stay on!

Honeyroar · 31/07/2021 08:22

No they don’t drop any scores.

OP posts:
percheron67 · 31/07/2021 08:33

Shall be trying to catch what I can. Coverage has been poor. I remember Ginny with Master Craftsman and Nightcap. Smashing horses. Used to watch Lucinda at Badminton. I ,too, wish Piggy was there and would not dream of letting Oliver near any horse of mine. All luck to the team though.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Goodallsfolly · 31/07/2021 16:32

Really pissed off that there is an entire afternoon of cricket on the Beeb and hardly any coverage of the equestrian events.

Yes I know we are subject to the host's choice in Tokyo and the time difference and cricket is a domestic match etc etc but am I wrong to detect a whiff of misogyny in the air?

Are there more male cricketers (and cricket fans ) in UK than female horse riders (and fans of the equestrian events) ? I bet it's pretty even figures ... .

Toastfiendish · 31/07/2021 16:44

The coverage on main BBC channel was extremely limited during the last Olympics when they had all the rights. I actually said to DH we better subscribe to discovery plus for a month otherwise all I'll see of the equestrianism is half a round if someone gets a medal. It's a big participation sport so I have no idea why they ignore it.

Goodallsfolly · 31/07/2021 17:05

It's a big participation sport so I have no idea why they ignore it.

I think the BBC wrongly assumes that everyone who rides is a rich toff and as such it doesn't fit in to their "visions and values". The irony is that the powers that be in the Beeb who make these decisions are probably wfh out of a £2 million + house in Hampstead and have never mucked out in their lives grin]

And of course there is the fact that cricket is beloved of men ... and some women ...but mostly blokes!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.