My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share the things that you love to save for - £200 voucher to be won

218 replies

GraceEMumsnet · 15/02/2021 09:35

This sponsored discussion is now closed

Saving might not be easy at the moment, but putting away a little each month now means that we can start looking forward to ‘sunny days’ treats or trips when times are brighter. Whatever they may be, Nationwide would love to hear about the things that you’ve missed and can’t wait to do again.

Here’s what Nationwide has to say: “While life after the pandemic may still feel some way off, we’re looking to the future and encouraging people to talk about what they’re looking forward to being able to enjoy again. As a mutual, we feel it’s our role to get the nation saving and we want to inspire people to keep building their savings pot as they look to the future and their own sunny day plans.”

All savings, big or small, are important. Whether it's accidental saving on your train fare while working from home or consciously saving the pennies that were once set aside for a daily takeaway coffee. From a once in a lifetime holiday to gigs and pub lunches with friends and family, what are you looking forward to being able to do post pandemic?

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share the things that you love to save for - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
Crankley · 23/02/2021 17:54

I'm getting on bit and have a real fear of getting dementia having seen what it did to a family friend. I therefore decided to start saving so if the time comes, I will have sufficient funds to fly to Dignitas in Switzerland to end my days.

Sorry if this is depressing after so many lovely ideas but you did ask. Smile

NoSquirrels · 23/02/2021 18:04

ooh, so many things and so little time/cash to save for them. Plus I like saving more than my DH, who is definitely a spender...

Big whole-family NYC trip. Smaller in-the-meantime holidays. Festival/live theatre fund for when such things are possible once more. Dyslexia assessment for DC2. External decorating on house. Garden furniture. New tent...the list goes on!

Chewingle · 23/02/2021 18:06

@Crankley

I'm getting on bit and have a real fear of getting dementia having seen what it did to a family friend. I therefore decided to start saving so if the time comes, I will have sufficient funds to fly to Dignitas in Switzerland to end my days.

Sorry if this is depressing after so many lovely ideas but you did ask. Smile

May I ask how old you are
MixedClassBaby · 23/02/2021 18:52

I'm a lone parent and am saving for a night in a hotel with my daughters.

Crankley · 23/02/2021 19:14

I'm mid 70s. I'm physically disabled and despite being in a fair amount of pain would never think of going to Dignitas because of it as I can still enjoy my life. It's just dementia that fills me with dread. I am, however, optimistic because neither parents had it. My DM was still mentally sharp when she died at 94 and neither grandparents had it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Chewingle · 23/02/2021 20:19

@Crankley

I'm mid 70s. I'm physically disabled and despite being in a fair amount of pain would never think of going to Dignitas because of it as I can still enjoy my life. It's just dementia that fills me with dread. I am, however, optimistic because neither parents had it. My DM was still mentally sharp when she died at 94 and neither grandparents had it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I wouldn’t wish dementia on my worst enemy
sm2012 · 23/02/2021 21:33

I'm pretty good at saving usually anyway but I'm missing being able to treat my daughters to days out, shopping, meals out etc. I'm looking forward to taking them somewhere special in the summer, they love the beach so I'm planning an amazing seaside trip with all the ice creams and fish and chips and funfair rides they can handle!

Holothane · 23/02/2021 22:32

Onwards now Christmas fund being started big time next month the birthday fund, hospital taxis fund is growing now and my Dr who fund, universal credit fund as well home fund will finally start to next month.

Purplerayhan · 23/02/2021 22:34

Have saved on meal deals and saving for a nice restaurant meal

Emeraldrabbittail · 24/02/2021 08:40

I'm saving for a rainy day fund. Or rather a windy day fund. I live on a windy clifftop. I regularly have to replace roof tiles, fences, satalite dishes ect after the winter storms.

GraceEMumsnet · 24/02/2021 10:51

Hi @Chewingle

We know there's been some confusion about when we're running prize draws and there's been a number of reasons we've struggled to refine the process before now. However, we'll be making some updates to further clarify our prize draw process that will soon be reflected in our T&Cs. For sponsored discussions, the close date will be 4 weeks after the date the discussion was posted, and we'll carry out the prize draw within a week of the close date. Prize draw winners for sponsored threads will be announced on each respective thread, as well as on our newly launched Mumsnet winners corner thread (which will be updated retrospectively to the beginning of 2021).

Thanks Smile

OP posts:
GaryUnicorn · 24/02/2021 20:04

I’m savig up to take my Mum on the Orient Express when lockdown is over. It’s been a lonely hard year for her since my Dad died, and then lockdown..

Hesma · 24/02/2021 20:07

I’m saving £60 per month as my kids swimming lessons are cancelled, plus dance class costs. Big saving on petrol though as still going into school with Key worker and vulnerable kids. As a single mum the savings are most welcome and I’m hoping to take kids away in the summer for a week at the seaside Smile

NativityDreaming · 24/02/2021 22:24

We tend to save for little getaways. Money is very tight and I try to budget very carefully so that twice a year we can have a seaside break for 3 nights to coincide with my sons’ birthdays.

MrsFrTedCrilly · 25/02/2021 00:05

Flights to visit family as soon as it’s safe to do so

Aubasaurus · 25/02/2021 14:32

We're saving for a family holiday - it was supposed to be last year so at least we'll have a bit more to spend by the time we can actually enjoy it!

AlmostAJillSandwich · 25/02/2021 15:58

Saving for a new bathroom window, can't stand another draughty winter!

BigPaperBag · 25/02/2021 17:57

We love to save for our next house. Looking to move into a 4 or 5 bed detached next year so every time we see bank balance go up it’s very encouraging. Can’t wait.

Teaspoon74 · 25/02/2021 23:18

Bit extravagant but I want a sauna. Nothing too extravagant. A wooden hit in the garden. But a sanctuary to escape to.

NomDePrune · 25/02/2021 23:28

I've been lucky in staying in my job and w@h for 11monrhs now. We've saved on not spending at our local pub - though we did support their crowdfunder - and staying in. I started to save in January by setting up a direct debit to put £50 into my savings account when my wages are paid.

ruthr79 · 28/02/2021 21:40

im looking forward to a holiday in the sun , and going for a weekly meal out with my partner some alone time and a treat when my son is in nursery , also looking forward to a trip to devon to visit family and friends

BobbinAround · 28/02/2021 21:47

Despite an intense lockdown relationship with the Amazon delivery man we are saving money - no cleaners, no holidays, no meals out/takeaways and no commuting costs. We've had a bit of a wake up call around how much we spent at a weekend - a pub lunch, a Saturday evening meal out, quick trip to Waitrose for treats and a National Trust afternoon with coffee/cake quickly adds up.

We're saving for long-haul post-Covid holidays. Don't know where or when but can't wait to get away when the time is right.

I'm sure some of the spending will return but certain habits have definitely changed for good.

salemaxo · 04/03/2021 21:00

Definitely a holiday. Can't wait to relax!

alshareif · 04/03/2021 21:08

House renovation which has been planned for a while now. Just need to save up a little bit more.

MParke · 04/03/2021 21:11

My mum has been wanting to go to Turkey for a while to revisit as she really loved it the previous time we went so just waiting until things settle down.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.