My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share the things that you love to save for - £200 voucher to be won

218 replies

GraceEMumsnet · 15/02/2021 09:35

This sponsored discussion is now closed

Saving might not be easy at the moment, but putting away a little each month now means that we can start looking forward to ‘sunny days’ treats or trips when times are brighter. Whatever they may be, Nationwide would love to hear about the things that you’ve missed and can’t wait to do again.

Here’s what Nationwide has to say: “While life after the pandemic may still feel some way off, we’re looking to the future and encouraging people to talk about what they’re looking forward to being able to enjoy again. As a mutual, we feel it’s our role to get the nation saving and we want to inspire people to keep building their savings pot as they look to the future and their own sunny day plans.”

All savings, big or small, are important. Whether it's accidental saving on your train fare while working from home or consciously saving the pennies that were once set aside for a daily takeaway coffee. From a once in a lifetime holiday to gigs and pub lunches with friends and family, what are you looking forward to being able to do post pandemic?

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share the things that you love to save for - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
PitchImperfect · 16/02/2021 20:53

We need new double glazing, the whole house needs replastering, or at least a lick of paint & the carpets clearly haven't been replaced for decades. Ideally I'd like to move but I'd be embarrassed selling the house in this condition so we're saving up to get the basics done & get it in a sellable condition.

kitschplease · 16/02/2021 22:16

We're saving to pay for moving house.

Hopezibah · 16/02/2021 22:26

Would love to save for a holiday of a lifetime once we can travel again. In my mind, I'm thinking Maldives although my daughter keeps talking of her dream trip to Scotland.

Would love to save up to revamp the garden. We partially did it last summer now the other half of the garden needs sorting plus some good plants and patio furniture to finish it off nicely too.

pinkem24 · 16/02/2021 22:41

We are saving and completing home renovations during lockdown, but looking forward to family holidays. I am amazed how much i have saved by simply meal planning and shopping once a week!

Gingerkittykat · 17/02/2021 01:41

Me and my sister always go for a cheap spa day for our birthdays. We have both had lockdown birthdays now so am going to use some of the money I have saved for a luxury spa day at a posh hotel.

Oatsamazing · 17/02/2021 03:01

I'm saving towards the deposit for a home for my family, my partner and I both work in a low paid industry for a charity so need a big deposit to afford a place with 2 bedrooms for our us and our 4 month old daughter. I enjoy looking out for coupons, selling bits on eBay and finding freebies on Facebook marketplace to keep our costs low. I've also started earning a small amount working from home while my daughter naps. I'm hoping we'll have enough to buy a 2 bedroom house this autumn

Thack · 17/02/2021 04:26

Savings are being used first to cover maternity leave that I start in a few weeks.

I'd love to get a bigger house in the next few years, especially now our family is growing from 2 to 3.

On the more fun side... As pushed by the last year: an immediate family member has decided to move abroad in the next two years. We want to be able to visit them and for baby to know them. (this is also a reason to upsize our house, to have them here too)

Positivevibesonlyplease · 17/02/2021 08:57

Saving to pay off the mortgage and retire early - hopefully - Smile

Sobloomintired · 17/02/2021 09:29

We are saving up to Costa Rica for my 50th Birthday in a few years.

Letsrunabath · 17/02/2021 09:52

I’m saving to go to Las Vegas with my daughter. Our birthdays are 1st and 2nd of The same month and we always have a weekend away. I’ve always wanted to experience Las Vegas but my hubby isn’t interested so my daughter will be an excellent travel companion.

IToldYouIWasFreaky · 17/02/2021 10:31

I've managed to save enough to cover the cost of having the bathroom re-furbished. The money that was refunded from DS's cancelled school trip abroad has been put aside for a few local days out as soon as we're able to.

LassoOfTruth · 17/02/2021 10:33

We’ve finally moved into our forever home and will be saving always for all the many many repairs and improvements it needs. It’ll be lovely some day 😂

GooodMythicalMorning · 17/02/2021 10:33

I save for housing bits as we're about to put a conservatory on so need a cheap sofa and bits for the puppies out there. If I'm not saving for that I save to treat myself to fancy makeup which I don't buy regularly but love.

CatNamedEaster · 17/02/2021 11:10

We are saving up to buy a caravan and also to get more work done on our house. We've always tried to save money each month, but somehow there's always some kind of emergency that comes along to eat up any spare cash.
One thing I've done since I started working is to put £100 a month into an "annual bills" account so that things like car insurance, MOT, house insurance etc can be paid out of that without me having to find several £100's in one go out of my normal salary.

TheLovelinessOfDemons · 17/02/2021 12:00

So many events that didn't happen last year, Croxfest, a small festival in Croxley near Watford, the Tolkien Society picnic and the August druidic festival. Summer was so depressing last year.

Backhometothenorth · 17/02/2021 13:33

We save for the kids' activities, days out and holidays and I'm looking forward to be able to start some little projects on the house sooner than we planned.

Quincy69 · 17/02/2021 13:41

Might sounds rather boring but I like to save to be able to invest in companies I believe in. Just thinking long term to make sure when I need a luxury holiday or a treat, I have the money ready to use. So been saving to fill up my stocks & shares ISA and separately, invest in alternative assets. Not as exciting as some other MNers but actually makes me feel in control. Halo

mummyuk86 · 17/02/2021 15:14

My husband and I have a 'rainy day fund' which we add to as regularly as we can for nice to have items such as holidays, days out or larger items such as the new patio set we got last year.
Post lockdown we're most looking forward to taking our sons to visit their Nanny and Grandad again (as they haven't seen them since summer) but also taking them out for a fun day out.

jackstini · 17/02/2021 15:15

Holidays - probably short UK breaks with different people when allowed

New garden furniture as likely we will be using it a lot this year!

Holothane · 17/02/2021 16:12

Saved for new flooring, saving for dr who blu ray sets, universal credit fund a life saver, new bed mattress.

digginthedancingqueen · 17/02/2021 16:43

Holidays definitely - anywhere and everywhere.

clopper · 17/02/2021 17:17

Saving to watch a few shows at the theatre and maybe some live music and comedy gigs. Didn’t appreciate these things enough before covid and always thought I’d get round to watching more of these things. Now I’m worried that the whole sector will disappear so I really want to support these creative and entertainment industries as soon as possible.

fishnships · 17/02/2021 18:12

Saving for a horse.

JofraArchersFastestBall · 17/02/2021 19:03

I'm saving for a family holiday, with extended family, once it's safe.

I'm also saving for the comfort of knowing that, if something goes wrong, we'll be able to deal with it. I lived for a long time without any savings and it's stressful and miserable.

Hollywhiskey · 17/02/2021 19:18

We are saving for a new car and home improvements.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.