My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share the things that you love to save for - £200 voucher to be won

218 replies

GraceEMumsnet · 15/02/2021 09:35

This sponsored discussion is now closed

Saving might not be easy at the moment, but putting away a little each month now means that we can start looking forward to ‘sunny days’ treats or trips when times are brighter. Whatever they may be, Nationwide would love to hear about the things that you’ve missed and can’t wait to do again.

Here’s what Nationwide has to say: “While life after the pandemic may still feel some way off, we’re looking to the future and encouraging people to talk about what they’re looking forward to being able to enjoy again. As a mutual, we feel it’s our role to get the nation saving and we want to inspire people to keep building their savings pot as they look to the future and their own sunny day plans.”

All savings, big or small, are important. Whether it's accidental saving on your train fare while working from home or consciously saving the pennies that were once set aside for a daily takeaway coffee. From a once in a lifetime holiday to gigs and pub lunches with friends and family, what are you looking forward to being able to do post pandemic?

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share the things that you love to save for - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
PurpleWh1teGreen · 17/02/2021 20:28

Holidays! Even before coronavirus I had made a decision to fly less often, and to make it count more.

Currently saving for my dream holiday of an RV trip along the west coast of America in 2022 and hoping to get to either Pembrokeshire or Scotland before then.

Hopeishere52 · 17/02/2021 20:40

We are saving for a new kitchen, had the same one since we first moved in and it’s falling apart, the cupboards are crumbling and the work surfaces water damaged,.can’t wait to get started!

MimsyBorogroves · 17/02/2021 20:48

I put money away using Plum. I'm hoping we may be able to afford a holiday. Youngest child is 9 and we've only ever been away abroad (France) once and to London twice. We just done have the money for it despite both having decent jobs.

Feargalthecat · 17/02/2021 22:36

We've managed ok even though my husband has earned no money for a year because of restrictions and doesn't qualify for help.

We've used the fact that we're unable to do very much at the moment as a reason for saving for the first time really. The money we would usually spend on petrol for trips out or just money frittered daily on small things we've put aside as we're staying at home. We hope to go on a family holiday restrictions permitting.

marnieja · 17/02/2021 23:18

I use Moneybox 45 day saver so I'm not tempted to move the money across for anything! Have to wait 45 days to get it so know by that point there's no point.

I love saving for holidays and weekends away which I've missed so much this last year!

buckley1983 · 18/02/2021 00:34

We are saving for a family trip to the zoo! My son is animal mad (something that it rubbing off on us!) & has a very keen interest in conservation. He's spent much of this lockdown doing research on his favourite animals & writing down his favourite facts. We'd love to take him to Chester Zoo when we are able as we have really enjoyed watching 'The Secret Life of the Zoo' series together. We've been saving money we might ordinarily have spent on a trip to the cinema, or some other treat & putting this in a jar towards the zoo trip. My zon has decorated the jar with pictures of his favourite animals & I try to add to it with any loose change from my purse - it all adds up!

ursuslemonade · 18/02/2021 01:31

I am saving for flight tickets to see my family. Can't wait!

Zoomme · 18/02/2021 06:17

I save by using my car as little as possible and keeping the heating turned down a notch.
I'm currently saving for new glasses, to service my car in a few months and hopefully to visit family abroad next year.

Dontsayfuckorbugger · 18/02/2021 06:25

I am saving for the day that I can take the kids back to Portcawl, Wales to have a sunny day on the beach. It's been our go to happy place for the last 15 odd years. We love it. So many memories. We go every year but obviously couldn't last year and it was a very much missed family outing. Sand, waves, rocks, ice cream from the same van year after year. Another photo taken to add to the album of many taken over the years, each time showing the kids having grown a little bit more. The tears are swelling in my eyes writing this. I miss my happy place, I miss that view, I miss the smell of the coast, I miss that family time. I truly can't wait to go back.

ButterflyOfFreedom · 18/02/2021 06:42

We've managed to save quite a bit this last year- we're not spending on petrol, children activities, meals out etc.
We're hoping for a nice family holiday at the end of all this - would love to take everyone to Disney!
We need a new car too so that might be this year or next.

seriousandloyal · 18/02/2021 11:47

I am saving for a holiday for my husband's 50th in 5 years time, I want it to be a lovely surprise for him.

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 18/02/2021 11:51

W save for holidays and for our new house. After the purchase, the anis to pay off the mortgage as quickly as possible.

CatRatSplat · 18/02/2021 12:25

A conservatory as ours is about to fall down and my dream holiday to Florida for a significant birthday (been saving for that for over 5years!)

poolofdev · 18/02/2021 15:44

I love to save, and we put our savings aside for big life purchases. For example, most if not all of our savings will go towards buying a new house so we have room for our second child due this Summer! And if by some miracle we have some money left I'd love to go on a holiday with my little family. I miss it so much!!

shumway · 18/02/2021 15:47

Meals out all together with my parents, my sisters and my nephews.

FawnDrench · 18/02/2021 18:38

Saving for holidays and to pay off the mortgage early.

Huggybear16 · 18/02/2021 18:43

I'm saving up for a new sofa.

My one is on it's last legs - leather worn down, stitches pulled apart, exposed insides!

My 4 year old has done a number on it, it was perfect until he spent the whole of this year at home with me. It looks like he has been using it as a trampoline or crash landing mat.

Sofas are so expensive!

ConquestEmpireHungerPlague · 18/02/2021 19:53

I'm saving to travel from Halifax to Vancouver on the TransCanadian Railway, which has been a lifelong ambition.

Heartbeats0708 · 18/02/2021 20:29

I like to have different savings goals. Short term is bits of change for the slot machines if we make it on our annual seaside trip this year. Medium term, I'd like to buy some lovely, quality garden furniture to enjoy. Long term, I try to save up a few hundred pounds a year for my DC's future. I know it's not going to add up to a lot but every bit truly helps.

GriseldaChop · 18/02/2021 23:17

We're saving to be able to have a lovely holiday when all this is over. We're happy to wait until things are as near as normal as possible as don't want to blow our money on a holiday we can't enjoy - just gives us longer to save I suppose!

Shazz20 · 18/02/2021 23:39

Saving for bits for my new puppy and to gift something nice for my parents!!Halo :)

Holothane · 18/02/2021 23:47

We’ve just added lazy boys recliner to our dreams,

HolaChicos · 19/02/2021 11:43

We have book a holiday in Cornwall for august (fingers crossed we can go!) so we're saving as much as we can to make it a fab holiday as it well and truly needed for us all!

EternalOptimist7 · 19/02/2021 12:19

At the moment we only have one wage coming in so unfortunately are borrowing rather than saving. However, I do have some money in our savings account - my husband put it in at Christmas for me to have a spa day when lockdown is over. I cannot wait!

TellMeItsNotTrue · 19/02/2021 12:30

Saving for kids futures comes first

Then saving for special days out, maybe a travelodge type place if its a distance away and get 2 days of fun in. Theatre tickets are always one of the top treats we all enjoy so we are looking forward to theatres opening again

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.