My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share the things that you love to save for - £200 voucher to be won

218 replies

GraceEMumsnet · 15/02/2021 09:35

This sponsored discussion is now closed

Saving might not be easy at the moment, but putting away a little each month now means that we can start looking forward to ‘sunny days’ treats or trips when times are brighter. Whatever they may be, Nationwide would love to hear about the things that you’ve missed and can’t wait to do again.

Here’s what Nationwide has to say: “While life after the pandemic may still feel some way off, we’re looking to the future and encouraging people to talk about what they’re looking forward to being able to enjoy again. As a mutual, we feel it’s our role to get the nation saving and we want to inspire people to keep building their savings pot as they look to the future and their own sunny day plans.”

All savings, big or small, are important. Whether it's accidental saving on your train fare while working from home or consciously saving the pennies that were once set aside for a daily takeaway coffee. From a once in a lifetime holiday to gigs and pub lunches with friends and family, what are you looking forward to being able to do post pandemic?

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Share the things that you love to save for - £200 voucher to be won
OP posts:
minceandpotatoes · 19/02/2021 12:42

I'm saving for my wedding. We got engaged during lockdown and are looking forward to getting married next spring.

m0jit0 · 19/02/2021 15:25

Holidays! Though in reality it all goes towards home improvements and tax bills.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter · 19/02/2021 18:33

Good skincare. Might sound fanciful and not very sensible but those treats help me keep my sanity and cheer me up plus make my skin feel good, therefore giving me confidence.

elfies · 19/02/2021 19:44

We are pensioners , shielding as my husband is terminally ill . We are saving as much as we can to have the holiday of a lifetime the minute we are allowed .
People may look askance at us for wanting to do this , but its my other half's dream and he won't be fit enough to travel if lockdown carries on much longer.
In his words he has ' a short expiry date'.
I will do everything I can to fulfil his bucket list

EggysMom · 19/02/2021 19:50

We have three savings 'pots' spread over five accounts Smile The first is DH's savings, he gets to spend that on tech gadgets for himself or to contribute to big family purchases (he's a SAHD so doesn't technically have an income and feels guilty about it). The second pot is our house emergency fund, fortunately only raided for £100 recently for a boiler repair. And the third - and by far the biggest - pot are our Florida savings, we want to take our son on a once-in-a-lfietime trip to the Florida parks.

sharond101 · 19/02/2021 19:55

A holiday, anywhere warm and asap!

Icanflyhigh · 19/02/2021 22:19

I have lots of different pots for various things.

My shoes - I love my quirky shoes, and they're not cheap, so there's a pot for that.

Our wedding is a big pot right now, and a honeymoon.

I'm always saving for Christmas too!

I'm a squirreler- a bit here and a few quid there. I'm always surprised by how much I manage to put in the pots.

ILovesPeanuts · 20/02/2021 01:15

We're saving for a few things right now. Most appealing is a holiday to Orlando, to include Universal and some time at a beach. Hadn't been abroad for a few years due to elderly parents, but they're sadly no longer with us. Had one holiday abroad then lockdown.
Also keen to get some sort of pergola for the garden.
Lastly need to get bathroom done.
Currently looking like Center Parcs this year if we're lucky due to pandemic.

MrTumblesSpottyHag · 20/02/2021 08:23

I'm saving for some new riding boots. My current ones are 15 years old and give me a wet left toe 😄

As a family we're saving up to go skiing.

ellenpartridge · 20/02/2021 08:42

I'm currently saving for my upcoming maternity leave. The fact my older daughter now gets her free 30 hours at preschool has really helped with this! Also saving some into the pot for some nice holidays once we are able to go away again.

PermanentTemporary · 20/02/2021 09:30

I really miss exhibitions and plays - particularly plays when it's lots of people gathering together that is part of the experience, there isn't anything the same as a live audience. Following a burglary and wind damage to my fence I haven't been able to hold on to much cash, but I have still got £130 which I hope will mean some amazing shows, maybe outside productions.

MakeTeaNotWar · 20/02/2021 11:22

Saving for a really amazing holiday when we can all travel safely again. My husband turns 50 in 2023 and my fantasy is a 3 week family holiday exploring the beaches and wildlife of Costa Rica

PowerslidePanda · 20/02/2021 11:30

Family days out fund - theme parks, zoos, water parks... We've got a whole year of lost activities to make up for!

loopyapp · 20/02/2021 12:16

Im saving all our accidental left over money towards a deposit and first months rent on a new home as we have hugely outgrown our current one.

A surprise baby didn't help things but a 3 bed, 3 storey, mid terraced house with a handkerchief sized concrete yard has been particularly bleak during lockdown.

They need a garden! And a space dedicated to home learning.

Chewit2022 · 20/02/2021 17:12

My children’s nest egg

Nothing gives me more satisfaction than seeing it grow

Especially now I’m worried what the job situation will be like when they start to look

Chewit2022 · 20/02/2021 17:13

@GraceEMumsnet

When will the draw take please please

percheron67 · 20/02/2021 17:33

I am saving wherever possible in order to treat my disabled daughter when we can go out and about again.

emphasisofmatter · 20/02/2021 21:16

I'm saving for a two week holiday to Orlando Fl. with DH and 2 DC...we were going to be going in 2020 bu that obviously didn't happen! So some of the savings got spent on home improvements, so saving up hopefully for 2022...!

MoneySuperMeerkat · 20/02/2021 21:23

We've been fortunate enough to always be able to save, the amounts have varied through the years.

Currently in our savings account we have savings towards: next car, current car (maintenance and insurance), holidays, tech and misc - misc includes large household purchases as well as Christmas and Birthdays. Holidays includes days out. Tech is a new 'pot' because both children have recently been gifted tablets, plus DH and I both have phones, smart watches etc and I suddenly realised replacing them will be a nightmare!

Ironmanrocks · 20/02/2021 22:27

I was saving for our next holiday, whenever we can have one - probably in 2 years - Africa!!! But I've had to use all my savings as the WiFi and tv blew due to a power surge and the washing machine has broken. We have had to buy new everything at once! I'm so upset! Lucky I had savings at all though so I can't complain.

hutchy73 · 20/02/2021 23:34

Holidays is the main thing we miss as a family - with one of the household shielding it wasn’t worth the risk to go away . I am saving for a weekend away with a show and tourist attractions . I have really missed the theatre and cinema trips

leafygarden42 · 21/02/2021 05:01

Saving up for a lovely weekend away in a spa hotel with my best mate - whenever we're finally allowed. We live at opposite ends of the country and would meet somewhere in the middle.

Freshair85 · 21/02/2021 07:50

I've been saving for when I'm on SMP and also towards a house deposit

flummingbird · 21/02/2021 17:03

I'm saving to update my bedroom. I split from my XH 2 years ago and it's the last room in the house I need to decorate since then, and then it's all to my taste. I can't wait!

AdoraBell · 21/02/2021 17:47

Saving for retirement, also trying to save for DDs. They are in Uni and concerned about life after Uni. So I want to build up some savings in case they need help.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.