My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Read about Mumsnet users' perfect UK breaks

424 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 27/01/2020 10:43

This thread is now closed.

There’s no question that staycations are on the rise. And whether you’d consider one because they can be cheaper, easier with a large family, you want to appreciate the UK or simply because you can bring your dogs along too, Parkdean Resorts would like to hear about what your ideal UK staycation looks like.

Here’s what Parkdean Resorts has to say: “We are the UK’s largest Holiday Park operator with 67 locations in some of the most stunning coastal, countryside and lakeside locations. From the impressive Scottish Highlands to the sunny South Coast, a Parkdean Resorts holiday is a great way to explore the UK and discover your new favourite spot.

Adventurers can camp with their tent, touring caravan or even try Glamping. Or choose from a huge choice of caravans, lodges and hot tub lodges including brand new accommodation for 2020, to suit all budgets and family sizes packed with everything you need for a stress-free holiday. And with 66 parks offering dog friendly accommodation, you really can bring the whole family on your holiday.

Find the best choice of accommodation by booking early, with deposits from only £25. And, you can now spread the cost of your holiday in easy and affordable monthly Direct Debit payments. Perfect!”

Would you be looking for a beachside break for the whole family while hoping the British rain holds off or do you think a couples midweek retreat sounds like the perfect way to recharge your batteries? Where in the UK is next on your list to visit? If you already ‘staycation’ regularly, what do you enjoy about it?

All who share what their perfect UK break would look like on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Read about Mumsnet users' perfect UK breaks
OP posts:
MrsFrTedCrilly · 28/01/2020 22:15

A cabin in the woods close to a quiet beach, morning runs and a decent book would be heavenly. Is it wrong that I want to leave the family behind?Shock

Petitcanard · 28/01/2020 22:35

Sitting in a cosy caravan listening to the rain bouncing off the roof is my idea of bliss. It’s a chance to get away from the drudgery of daily life and somehow the kind of weather that usually makes me miserable at home is quite comforting when I’m away (that and if there’s a place to go for some family time).

RitaHayworthHair · 29/01/2020 01:18

To go and camp out in the highlands and observe wildlife in its natural form in peace and quiet.

kateandme · 29/01/2020 04:16

love the south coast.or somerset dorset way.
id like a pool and beach.
i like the park to not loook like typical' holiday' park feel though.i know that sounds really snobby. itd be nice if they wre more like European campites.
green.with walks nearby and pitchs that can feel private and yours not so you look to your left and see the neighbour on the loo!
a good shop,close to restaurant.
activities avaialble or access to them nearby.
clean.
friendly staff.

stayingaliveisawayoflife · 29/01/2020 05:58

We were owners at a parkdean site. Started off great, had amazing holidays and enjoyed the owners perks like early quiet swims. The parks have changed and not really for the better. More expensive and not as family centred as they were. Also we were given the choice of buying a new expensive caravan or leaving after more than ten years. We left. Amazing memories but not a nice way to leave.

ButterflyOfFreedom · 29/01/2020 06:30

Things we like (no DC):
Spa
Fancy restaurants
Hotel breakfast
Nice city to walk round / see the sights

Things we like (with DC):
Near to beach
Decent spacious accommodation
Activities nearby e.g.. theme park, woods etc
Friendly & safe

ifigoup · 29/01/2020 06:59

Somewhere DC can roam and explore safely. Somewhere we can all hire bikes, swim in a lake, climb a hill, and enjoy the outdoors.

Bunnylady54 · 29/01/2020 10:18

We are lucky enough to live in Cornwall but sometimes it’s difficult with our 11 year old daughter as she suffers from attachment disorder, anxiety & sensory issues so will refuse to go out. Our ideal holiday would be somewhere with loads to do onsite, definitely slot machines & definitely a big pool with adventurous slides. Our daughter does enjoy theme park rides & anything to get the adrenaline going so that would be great too. Oh & she’s gluten free so a varied menu to cater for that is a must.

Pilot12 · 29/01/2020 10:53

I'd like to stay in a log cabin in the woods with good cycle tracks. My DP likes to be close to the beach, close enough that we can carry our picnic and equipment without needing to take the car and preferably no step hills to get to the beach. A separate toddler pool would be nice, one where our tots can just wonder in and out or sit and play with their bath toys.

voyager50 · 29/01/2020 11:55

A traditional British break is always enjoyed by us - we have had several three (and four generation) holidays by the British coast and spending time together doing the simple things like building sandcastles, playing crazy golf and eating chips by the sea are all we need to relax.

fluffyrice · 29/01/2020 12:50

My wishlist (haven't found anywhere that fits it yet) from a UK holiday park would be:

1. Good walks nearby (without having to take the car)
  2. Things for older children (10-15) to do on the site/places for them to 'hang out' both indoor and outdoor. My experience is that play areas etc are all for younger children so older ones having an 'on-site' day either stay with parents looking bored/attached to phones or hang around the areas meant for younger children/run round the caravans getting moaned at.
  3. Evening entertainment that families actually want. The kids disco is great for those with young children but after than I'm not sure many really want to play bingo and listen to a middle aged man doing bad covers of 60s songs! And entertainment at age appropriate times- I've had holidays when mine were smaller where they really wanted to go to the kids disco but were asleep by the time it started every night.
  4. No amusement arcades/sales of branded plastic crap- I'm sure I'm not the only parent who would rather their child did not spend ££££ in the arcade and/or on cups/toys etc with the site logo and characters (that will be discarded or broken within a day of getting home) but also does not want to spend every evening saying 'no' constantly. The site clearly relies on pester power to make money on these things, and I've been to quite a few where the only way to the pool/entertainment etc is through the arcade/shop so avoiding it is not an option.
Ratbagratty · 29/01/2020 12:54

Beach, access to different types of food, not just something and chips, food available not just at meal times so everyone is trying to get it, maybe a takeaway option, kitchen with decent amount of equipment to prepare food/snacks, plenty of options for under 5s to do, the accommodation needs to have a decent sized bathroom for showering/bathing little ones, a separate room for parents to chill in when children in bed. Room to store suitcases and hang up clothes.

I can dream!

I can dream!

ThePurpleGirl · 29/01/2020 13:24

Great facilities for children on site - ideally indoor and outdoor pools with fun bits (e.g. splash zones / slides / shallow bits), and play areas suitable for a range of ages.

Clean and safe - ideally with no car zones.

Near great tourist attractions - and ideally a sandy beach!

Evening entertainment suitable for all ages (e.g. dancers, singers, acrobats).

A range of food options on site.

Mummy0ftwo12 · 29/01/2020 13:37

Children and adult entertainment, pool area and accommodation that is far enough part to feel private.

Zenithbear · 29/01/2020 14:25

Within walking distance to dog friendly beach, nice coffee shop and sunny days.

Elliebobtail · 29/01/2020 15:43

Perfect staycation for us is anywhere within 3 hours drive, has a beach and has child friendly accommodation :)
We will be heading to a cabin near a beach at Easter which I’m really looking forward to :)

oneofthose · 29/01/2020 18:03

Self catering accommodation that is childproof with a secure garden with toddler entertainment such as farm animals and play ground close by. Near a beach preferably.

elizaco · 29/01/2020 18:15

My ideal staycation would be countryside rather than coastal. Maybe the Highlands of Scotland; lots of opportunities to walk and enjoy the scenery and enjoy the peace and quiet. My children are well into their teens now. We've enjoyed lots of family staycations over the years and made some fantastic memories but this one would be just my husband and me!

Montydoo · 29/01/2020 18:31

weather .........ease of getting there........price.........things to do.

cannotmakemymindup · 29/01/2020 19:18

My perfect staycation currently is I'm would love to go for a weekend away with DH as I am pregnant (currently very tired and sick) and hoping once I improve that we can spend some time together. Especially as by our anniversary later in the year, we'll have a new baby so not be able to go away then. So somewhere peaceful, pretty and idyllic with a few luxuries on tap would be amazing. Need pampering and treating.

Ange211 · 29/01/2020 20:18

A great pool is a huge draw for us. Something that keeps the little ones and big kids entertained for hours when the good old British weather let's you down. Ideally - wave pool, rapids, flumes. We love all that.

KailaLeigh01 · 29/01/2020 20:20

Child friendly places to eat, and of course indoor activities as the weather tends to be unpredictable here in Scotland! A beach would be nice too, there's nothing more relaxing than a nice walk on holiday

YesIDoLoveCrisps · 29/01/2020 21:01

I would LOVE a Uk break with great weather, but obviously that can’t be helped so just activities for all weather. Also some relaxing things to do so it’s a holiday for me Grin
We have a large family and a dog and therefore less money so a less expensive holiday would be perfect.

PapayaCoconut · 29/01/2020 21:29

A family spa where parents and children can enjoy pools, steam rooms, jacuzzis, etc together.

BloodyWorried · 29/01/2020 22:30

We love Parkdean but have only one bug bear really: the swimming pools on sites we’ve been to are only open 10-4(ish). We’d love it if we could go for an earlier swim as our kids are up early.

The kids currently ask Alexa for starland krazy, and like that they can find the older versions (just Sid&Lizzie) alongside newer versions - which is a testimony as to just how much they love it.

The only other improvement would be an opt in for milk in the fridge and tea, coffee, sugar so that we can make a cuppa on arrival. A secure area for storage would be good too actually - £50 for earlier access to a caravan is a lot of money when looking at a short break. But storage for the time when you can’t access the caravan at the start / end of the break - or for bikes / roof boxes could be a worth while extra.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.