My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Read about Mumsnet users' perfect UK breaks

424 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 27/01/2020 10:43

This thread is now closed.

There’s no question that staycations are on the rise. And whether you’d consider one because they can be cheaper, easier with a large family, you want to appreciate the UK or simply because you can bring your dogs along too, Parkdean Resorts would like to hear about what your ideal UK staycation looks like.

Here’s what Parkdean Resorts has to say: “We are the UK’s largest Holiday Park operator with 67 locations in some of the most stunning coastal, countryside and lakeside locations. From the impressive Scottish Highlands to the sunny South Coast, a Parkdean Resorts holiday is a great way to explore the UK and discover your new favourite spot.

Adventurers can camp with their tent, touring caravan or even try Glamping. Or choose from a huge choice of caravans, lodges and hot tub lodges including brand new accommodation for 2020, to suit all budgets and family sizes packed with everything you need for a stress-free holiday. And with 66 parks offering dog friendly accommodation, you really can bring the whole family on your holiday.

Find the best choice of accommodation by booking early, with deposits from only £25. And, you can now spread the cost of your holiday in easy and affordable monthly Direct Debit payments. Perfect!”

Would you be looking for a beachside break for the whole family while hoping the British rain holds off or do you think a couples midweek retreat sounds like the perfect way to recharge your batteries? Where in the UK is next on your list to visit? If you already ‘staycation’ regularly, what do you enjoy about it?

All who share what their perfect UK break would look like on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Read about Mumsnet users' perfect UK breaks
OP posts:
Hopezibah · 07/02/2020 22:51

For us the big plus of a UK holiday is generally less travelling and no waiting around at airports etc. The worst bit is unpredictable weather and having to pack all sorts of clothes and wellies for all eventualities! A perfect stay would be somewhere spacious enough for a family of 5, we love a pool onsite, and somewhere with countryside walks.

separatedandseething · 08/02/2020 07:46

Log cabin with fab views on an outside hot tub for myself and dp where we could relax and look at the stars whilst drinking bubbly. Kids could join us for a night or two but then go home :)

Virgoandleo · 08/02/2020 08:56

Somewhere rural, near the sea where my boys and dog can have a run around. Good restaurant onsite so I don't have to cook would be lovely too!!

Stargirl84 · 08/02/2020 10:19

Definitely a couples midweek break in a cosy cottage somewhere!

welshmardymum · 08/02/2020 15:20

We go to the lake district once a year, its the highlight of the year, we look for family time and being outdoors which regardless of the weather we enjoy as long as we have somewhere warm and comfy to come back to!

sootyo · 08/02/2020 15:57

Relaxing cottage holiday close to the coast with the family , with tasty treats to share.

Runningshorts · 08/02/2020 16:28

Clean facilities, family friendly, plenty of outdoors space, and doesn't cost a fortune in the school holidays.

Timetogiveupnow · 08/02/2020 16:33

We enjoy caravan holidays in resorts. The perfect one would be accessible all over (so disappointing when the crazy golf is split level or the dance floor has so many closely packed tables my son can't get near it to join in). Evening entertainment for kids and adults. Bingo (if you must have it) around teatime so the entertainment isn't stopped to play as it's dull for children and those not playing. Near an accessible beach, and activities that all kids can join in. Basically someone my kids are independent and can have fun but I know they're safe and won't get hurt.

FuckingHateRats · 08/02/2020 16:37

Somewhere with a good pool complex ,food choices to eat somewhere lovely or get a takeaway to take back to our accomodation, access to family-friendly walks, optional activities like horse riding, archery etc.

nelson74 · 08/02/2020 19:57

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fredastaireatemyjamsandwich · 08/02/2020 20:08

It would need to be near a beach as we like playing on the sand, flying kites etc. Would appreciate stuff to do in wet weather such as an indoor swimming pool or kids club. We are going to Camber Sands in May, really looking forward to it

SmallChickBilly · 08/02/2020 22:29

Somewhere that has activities for any weather! No matter when you book, there's always the worry that there's going to be torrential rain and you'll be stuck inside with nothing to do! Any opportunities to explore and have an adventure are also great - woods, beach, even just an adventure playground make me realise that kids don't need much to have fun!

PirateWeasel · 09/02/2020 06:38

Somewhere with an amazing landscape for walking, accommodation that's babyproofed and suitable for toddlers, and easy parking.

wouldyouadamandeveit · 09/02/2020 10:41

Somewhere with access to lots of dog friendly places so my boy could come along, that doesn't cost the earth in peak season.

NettleTea · 09/02/2020 11:24

somewhere low key, but with entertainment for teens that are more activity based than 'entertainment'.
good food is essential. I cook and clean up all the time so want to be able to not have to think about that, but have a choice more than the standard 'buffet breakfast' and something and chips.
Also near to trips out.
And comfy beds. I need to be able to sleep

helbel34 · 09/02/2020 12:23

Good fun pool, entertainment for children and adults, good food choices and places to explore.

BL0SS0M · 09/02/2020 12:27

Not too far to travel to...must have a swimming pool or close to the beach and lots to do with a toddler.

RippleEffects · 09/02/2020 13:28

I like to know what I'm getting. We do all sorts of breaks from low budget to nice catered hotels. My biggest frustration is expectations not being met.

Information is key to it being enjoyable. From knowing when I can check in, having a clear understanding of what facilities and equipment are available - are towels provided included in the price or a must be prebooked extra. Is there a cork screw and a can opener, wine glasses etc. (Wine is obviously important from that brief list).

My ideal UK break would allow me to go straight to my booked accomodation with keycode entry so after no doubt slightly stressful travel with the children I could get them into a bigger space, have use of the toilet and unpacked with their stuff around them - then do necessary check in paper work etc.

With our eldest being Autistic and needing personal quiet space we like accomodation to have seperate spaces - they don't need to be big spaces but the world has gone more open plan and that doesn't work for us.

Wifi, some toilet roll by the toilet for arrival, soap on the sink and a handtowel always useful.

A hot tub is a lovely extra and enclosed outdoor space, lots of trees and green as we're town based the contrast is nice.

Bollockingfuck · 09/02/2020 18:22

We need quite a mix of things to appeal to our children’s age range - ideally we opt for nice comfortable accommodation with plenty of room for all of us in a green / leafy area. We like to get out in nature for walks and woods which we can all enjoy together. Ideally there will be attractions and adventurous activities nearby for the 13 and 10 year old and some playgrounds for our 5 year old. Our youngest is Autistic so self-catering suits us best as having our own kitchen and living space with tv means we can keep to familiar foods and routines.

voddiekeepsmesane · 09/02/2020 20:11

Back when DS was little and DSS was preteen we went to Parkdean Looe Bay several years running. It was great, cheap and with everything onsite made it a lot easier for me to cope with a younger child , preteen child and disabled partner. We managed cos of Sid and Lizzie for DS, teenage activities for DSS and great amenities and evening entertainment for DP and me we made great memories. It's been 9 years since we have been able to afford a holiday but those few Parkdean years really were great. DS still talks about them now at 16!

Our perfect break now would be just the three of us and would probably have great facilities for 16 yo DS to do his own thing while DP and I wind down. Then to be able to get together in the evening for some good British singalong, kitsch fun without taking ourselves too seriously :)

EthansMummy93 · 09/02/2020 20:39

Our perfect holiday would be a quiet holiday park with a few activities and close to a beach ⛱️

loopy1906 · 09/02/2020 20:48

I have been using Parkdean resorts for years. We go to the Beautiful Pendine sands in wales. You get the golden 7 mile beach to yourselves a lot. It’s so beautiful with stunning mountains and the park is spotlessly clean and the village. Friendly plus I chose this place Twenty years ago for quietness and above all, child safety. Been going ever since.

1969angep · 09/02/2020 21:00

If we could get our French mobile home experience in the UK. Our son is mostly interested in water slides/the pool area and UK sites are sadly lacking in this respect compared to sites we've managed to find across the channel.

alem17 · 09/02/2020 21:30

A city break somewhere with nice restaurants

GetKnitted · 09/02/2020 22:40

My ideal would be at least bed and breakfast, maybe half-board, decent beds (because decent sleep = happy family), space enough for a bit of peace, a beach, close reach to a substantial town or small city.

Realistically we go self catering because I can't bear to spend £20-40 on breakfast for a week.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.