My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Read about Mumsnet users' perfect UK breaks

424 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 27/01/2020 10:43

This thread is now closed.

There’s no question that staycations are on the rise. And whether you’d consider one because they can be cheaper, easier with a large family, you want to appreciate the UK or simply because you can bring your dogs along too, Parkdean Resorts would like to hear about what your ideal UK staycation looks like.

Here’s what Parkdean Resorts has to say: “We are the UK’s largest Holiday Park operator with 67 locations in some of the most stunning coastal, countryside and lakeside locations. From the impressive Scottish Highlands to the sunny South Coast, a Parkdean Resorts holiday is a great way to explore the UK and discover your new favourite spot.

Adventurers can camp with their tent, touring caravan or even try Glamping. Or choose from a huge choice of caravans, lodges and hot tub lodges including brand new accommodation for 2020, to suit all budgets and family sizes packed with everything you need for a stress-free holiday. And with 66 parks offering dog friendly accommodation, you really can bring the whole family on your holiday.

Find the best choice of accommodation by booking early, with deposits from only £25. And, you can now spread the cost of your holiday in easy and affordable monthly Direct Debit payments. Perfect!”

Would you be looking for a beachside break for the whole family while hoping the British rain holds off or do you think a couples midweek retreat sounds like the perfect way to recharge your batteries? Where in the UK is next on your list to visit? If you already ‘staycation’ regularly, what do you enjoy about it?

All who share what their perfect UK break would look like on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Read about Mumsnet users' perfect UK breaks
OP posts:
ShellsandSand · 28/01/2020 09:54

Bike hire facilities.
Lots of outdoor activities maybe Archery, Nature trails, Foraging programmes ect.
Gluten free dining options for Coeliac DD. In fact healthier food options in general to enhance the Nature themed experience.
Clean but simple accommodation.
Swimming facilities.

Superstarnanny · 28/01/2020 10:04

Close to the beach, kids entertainment, warm swimming pool, play park on site & clean modern accommodation.
We’ve used Romney sands a few times & had a fun stay.

sugarbum · 28/01/2020 10:06

A caravan or lodge which is clean and has a decent shower and comfy beds that fit a normal size human.
Indoor water park with a number of slides to keep teens happy
Near beach
Amusement arcades (or near seafront) because the kids love them.
Lots of places to eat that aren't extortionate.
Maybe somewhere for teens to hang out with gaming stations and so on.

JC4PMPLZ · 28/01/2020 10:24

I would love a city break in somewhere historic and well-resourced , like York or Oxford - though I know the children would prefer a beach. Indeed their idea of heaven is Blackpool. At least there is lots to do there if the rain comes and they seem to like waterparks just as much as the sea - if not more. I think that cheap accommodation is nice - but somewhere with a hearty breakfast like we had in a Great Yarmouth hotel recently. Important thing is that there are fun things to do, the beds are comfy, wifi is free and there are good restaurants.

EggysMom · 28/01/2020 10:25

More spacious caravans - fed up of a double bed that feels like a 4ft, with only a few inches of space on each side before you touch the wall.

Caravans designed for children not OAPs - I don't want knick knacks that I have to move out of their reach, I don't want sharp corners, I don't want a central coffee table that my kid will trip over.

A television which is either re-tuned regularly (when Freeview move channels around) or one that doesn't have the menu functions locked so you can't re-tune it yourself.

Pavements around the caravan park so that we don't have to walk on the road. It helps to maintain good road-sense.

Enough playparks! Why have playparks that reach capacity with only a dozen kids, when you have a thousand family caravans? Don't class "one basket swing" as a playpark either, that's not a park, it's a single swing.

Make it easy for a local supermarket to deliver direct to your caravan, maybe tie up with one of the major chains.

GoldenCrunchMunch · 28/01/2020 10:28

quiet, selfcatering, something for kids to do on sight near sea

sharond101 · 28/01/2020 11:15

I enjoy nice weather so further South with nice day trips nearby like beaches, countryside boats etc. Restaurants nearby and quality childrens activities are all important.

BumpkinSpiceBatty · 28/01/2020 11:19

We stayed with parkdean a few years ago in a Scottish forest site. We had a lovely time but the pool area was very shabby and needed a major refit. We were really disapointed as the kids were cold as soon as they got in and left promptly.

We try and holiday in the uk as much as possible now and look for -

• a spacious site with room between lodges/pitches
  • clean facilities which have plenty of hot water/are heated
  • a modern bar/lounge area for family evening entertainment
  • a clean and warm swimming pool
  • a kids club with a range of activities on offer
  • a decent outdoor playpark suited to older children as well as under 5's.
  • a takeaway service such as pizza or fish and chips.
KeepThosePlatesSpinning · 28/01/2020 11:36

Decent, child friendly accommodation, with other kids to play with, ease of access to a beach, and to a local town for access to supermarkets / for meals etc. A decent, warm swimming pool. Warm weather would also be good so we didn't have to pack 4 seasons' worth of clothes per person.

munchbunch12 · 28/01/2020 12:43

Clean, good value accommodation and an indoor pool, preferably with slides and a good outdoor play area are high on my 'must have' list. Also good public transport links to the nearest town/village/beach for if we don't feel like driving.

stairway · 28/01/2020 12:48

We are braving a parkdean caravan holiday shortly. I’m hoping the caravan will be clean and warm with nothing broken inside. Good heating is essential for those who visit out of season. We have been on two park dean holidays previously and have been lucky that the accommodation and site was great and value for money.

Lost87 · 28/01/2020 13:02

We have two. We have 7 children between myself and my DP so a fun packed holiday with a good size pool- indoor and outdoor. Plenty to do during different types of weather.
Good, clean accommodation whatever the type of grade of caravan. Sometimes it feels like the lower standard caravans dont get the same attention to detail and to families this is something they save up for all year round.
We also would love a weekend away just the two of us to a lodge with hot tub away from the complex and peaceful, lots of nature and walks in the area to take in the peace and quiet 😂

evespudding · 28/01/2020 13:22

Regularly holiday in St Ives, Cornwall. Love the variety of beaches, plenty of restaurant options available without having to get into the car.

poppy1973 · 28/01/2020 14:12

A nice quite location, near to the coast. Ideally with a small swimming pool that can keep the children entertained. Good places to eat, that aren't too expensive. Clean accommodation.

Gazelda · 28/01/2020 16:09

Comfort, space, cleanliness and convenience are my aims.

I hate arriving on a break to find I have to make up the beds. This would prevent me going there again.

Linen and towels included in the booking are essential.

Friendly staff who are willing to explain what's available on site or in the area.

My husband rates excellent WiFi as essential.

Mummymummums · 28/01/2020 16:59

I love a caravan or lodge with a hot tub. I like having a beach near and a nice size pool preferably with slide.
Bonus points if there's a forest and bike hire nearby.
Also a decent restaurant that does breakfast and dinner for the odd meal.

toffeeghirlinatwirl · 28/01/2020 17:14

I used to always use these sites when my children were younger. We relied on public transport or taxi transfer to get to and from the site. Arriving with young children, buggies and luggage, there was never anyone to assist us to our caravan. As a child myself on this type of holiday in the 80s, there was always staff employed to help with luggage on a trolley or golf mobile. On several occasions, our caravan would be a big distance from the reception.
We also found ourselves stuck on site as buses didn't come near to take us off site (with the exception of Martin Mere which had a regular service into Blackpool at the time).

Being stuck on site, we had no choice but to pay higher prices for food and provisions and for extras for the kids. The evening entertainment was very expensive and the staff always got the kids to pester parents to buy overpriced tat.
For adults there was no much in way of entertainment other than bingo which I hate.

I couldn't wait until my kids were older and we could fly to somewhere sunny which even with flights worked out cheaper all round.

PorridgeAgainAbney · 28/01/2020 17:45

Perfect UK holiday (with DS) is anywhere that is within an hour of beaches, countryside, indoor attractions like museums for rainy days, and local crafty places. Nothing worse than being forced to have days out in the rain because you're somewhere that doesn't have any indoor places to visit without having to drive too far.
Perfect UK holiday in my dreams (just me) is in the middle of the countryside so I can walk all day (don't care about the weather) then read all evening.

GatoFofo · 28/01/2020 18:18

A laid back boutique hotel with interconnecting rooms, a good coffee machine and interesting town and countryside nearby. Somewhere like the Lake District or Somerset. Dog friendly would be even better. Excellent wifi a must for keeping the kids happy.

thanksamillion · 28/01/2020 18:48

We've done Ruda a couple of times for our main summer holiday and other similar sites for weekends. My must haves are swimming as the DC love it and it's one thing they'll still all do together and nice meals that aren't too expensive so I don't have to cook.

jacqui5366 · 28/01/2020 19:26

Clean rooms, plenty of fresh air, grass, on site shops which are reasonably prices, and places to eat in when we want a nice meal which is family friendly and reasonably priced. Finally water. a heated pool would be lovely to jump in and out if, which is clean and not too busy (no inflatables please)

Cotswoldmama · 28/01/2020 20:59

We love coastal breaks. It's usually important to have some sort of family friendly entertain in case of bad weather but usually the beach and rock pools are enough. I especially love Cornwall.

Anj123 · 28/01/2020 21:18

I look for somewhere I can escape from the routine chores at home, so as long as the accommodation is clean, comfortable and well equipped I’m happy. Ideally there would be Wi-Fi and a dishwasher! If the accommodation is located somewhere scenic and near good shops and restaurants, this makes it even better, and if the weather is good an added bonus!

motherstongue · 28/01/2020 21:54

For a Staycation I prefer short breaks. With a city break I like close to amenities so I can travel on public transport easily. I like decent, clean but most importantly central accommodation. When going to rural places I like close to some water and a really good standard of accommodation as I’m more likely to be chilling and spending more time in the accommodation so where I’m staying becomes more important. Access to some good restaurants rurally is important or self catering so I can make my own meals.

MissusMaker · 28/01/2020 22:09

The perfect UK break for us would be nice weather (if only we could guarantee it!), in a relaxing, safe place that is not too far from home. We enjoy camping/glamping but tbh with two young kids I just don't find that sort of thing to be properly relaxing. I'd like a nice lodge/chalet type thing with enough space for all of us - so at least 2 beds, lounge/dining type area. A hot tub would be AMAZING. Ideally walking distance to things like: swimming, play park, beach would be a dream. We love lakes too. I don't mind self catering breakfast/lunch but want to be a short distance - ideally walking - from nice restaurants for dinner. Opportunity to try new sports/activities would be great.

If I'm being TOTALLY honest one of the main things I want from a UK holiday is to be significantly cheaper than a foreign holiday - mainly because of the weather...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.